Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco 20c increase overnight

• 23-02-2011 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭

Just thought I would point this one out. Ordered my shopping online tomato Ketchup 2.99, Recieved it yesterday, 3.19. Bit of a mammoth overnight increase!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Dunnes font d'or water was 2.99, then a special offer came on some months back saying it was 2.99. Yesterday it's now 3.99. If your're not happy, don't buy it.

Also volvic water seems to have shot up as well in both dunnes and tescos. I noticed chicken fillets went up in both too. Walsh's spice burgers have soared up!

Gf bought them without checking price. I saw receipt this morning :( They were circa 2.35 in Dunnes, she bought them yesterday for 4.99

If She had seen the price she wouldn't have paid it. Her own fault for not chekcign fully. They were nice tho :D but I wouldn't pay that price again for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I was annoyed in SuperValu last week when Nescafé Mocha increased from €2.43 to €2.96. That's what I call mammoth.:( + 21.81%:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Everything in Tesco has shot up in price. Nappies went up a euro, tea bags 20c, all the essentials :( I thought we were all getting cuts in our incomes because the country was getting cheaper to live in. My arse!!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Yet again, everyone blames the retailer.

Guess what - Its the manufacturers that increase the price and the retailers just pass this on.

A few weeks a go I gave a list of price increases notified to me as I used to purchase confectionery from a particular wholesaler. (no longer in retail, but I still get the emails) - It was a large list (kellogs, mc vities, proctor & gamble, uniliver etc etc) and dates ranged from January 1st to March 31st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

I see that most items have gone up price in most supermarkets. Its getting really hard now, took a massive paycut and now taxed more after that last budget and oil is going up too.

Tesco online was charging me 6.70 for a box of cat food that was 5.05 instore. Most items online were significantly more expensive. I'm already paying delivery charge so I didn't see the reason. Gave up shopping online with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

proulx wrote: »
    2.99, Recieved it yesterday, 3.19. Bit of a mammoth overnight increase!
    mammoth:o.
    It went up less than 7%, and what is with this "overnight" statement I keep reading in these threads, its like reading a sensationalist gutter press headline or something. Did you expect a 1% increase slowly brought in each month over 7 months with big warning signs or something? Do you have many/any examples of stuff which were not increased/decreased "overnight".

Stuff goes up and down like crazy in tesco these days, I just treat it like a stockbroker, "buy low".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭proulx

rubadub wrote: »
    mammoth:o.
    It went up less than 7%, and what is with this "overnight" statement I keep reading in these threads, its like reading a sensationalist gutter press headline or something. Did you expect a 1% increase slowly brought in each month over 7 months with big warning signs or something? Do you have many/any examples of stuff which were not increased/decreased "overnight".

Stuff goes up and down like crazy in tesco these days, I just treat it like a stockbroker, "buy low".

Over night as in one day i ordered the next day it was delivered and the price incresed by 7% in 12 hours.
    yes I do think this is a huge increase if my weekly incomed increased this much I would be happy out. And yes I do expect a slow increase of at least less than 5%, but hey every one has a different wage to spend and what is a drop in the ocean to you may be bigger to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭Worztron

Someone I know bought a product in ALDI for 79c and the next saw the same product in Tesco for €1.79 – what a joke.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Over night as in one day i ordered the next day it was delivered and the price incresed by 7% in 12 hours.
    So are you saying you ordered something online at one price which I expect was confirmed, yet when it was delivered they attempted to charge more? -in which case you could have refused it.
    yes I do think this is a huge increase if my weekly incomed increased this much I would be happy out.
    If my income increased 20cent I wouldn't be upset, but not overly excited - in this case I expect you are playing the old games commonly seen in these threads, the decision to take the most sensationalist value, either a percentage or a actual figure which ever grabs peoples attention until they see what is really being said. e.g. there was some thread saying tesco donuts went up 50% (overnight of course), in reality this meant a 5 pack went up from a shockingly cheap €1 to a still very cheap €1.50 -the poster even admitted this €1.50 was still a very good price.

No doubt you want to play the same game and compare a 20cent increase in ketchup to a 7% pay rise.
    but hey every one has a different wage to spend and what is a drop in the ocean to you may be bigger to me.
    And vice versa, I wouldn't be paying €3 for a bottle of ketchup, I would only get heinz or chef etc if there is a very good offer on, then I stock up, otherwise the bog standard tesco one does me fine, we could well be on very different wages.
    yes I do expect a slow increase of at least less than 5%
    Checking online tesco currently have 215 items at half price, and I expect all of these were introduced overnight. Does this also upset you?

If they did it in increments like you seem to like, then it could end up costing more, e.g. instead of a 7% increase "overnight", it could go to 4.5% and another 4.5%, needing to increase more to offset the additional staff and admin costs of 2 separate increases. This is similar to people bitching about dual sterling/euro pricing in the likes of dunnes, if they were to fork out extra money on admin etc to have singular pricing it would cost more in both regions.

By the way, I see hellmans ketchup is on offer in tesco,
    Hellmanns Tomato Ketchup 430Ml
    Special Offer2 For 3.00 Save 1.58 valid until 1/3/2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

yes I do think this is a huge increase if my weekly incomed increased this much I would be happy out. And yes I do expect a slow increase of at least less than 5%, but hey every one has a different wage to spend and what is a drop in the ocean to you may be bigger to me.

Overnight is probably less than 12 hours, you're splitting hairs. I wasn't hiding in the store waiting for the staff to change the price, so I can't be absolutely certain.

As far as I'm concerned, prices should have been coming down, and due to the huge cuts that we've been experiencing, we're all pretty much screwed, and we'll continue getting screwed because there's feck all that we can do about it, apart from sticking to basic essentials and getting rid of everything else. Fun times ahead for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

91011 wrote: »
    Yet again, everyone blames the retailer.

Guess what - Its the manufacturers that increase the price and the retailers just pass this on.

A few weeks a go I gave a list of price increases notified to me as I used to purchase confectionery from a particular wholesaler. (no longer in retail, but I still get the emails) - It was a large list (kellogs, mc vities, proctor & gamble, uniliver etc etc) and dates ranged from January 1st to March 31st.

With the greatest respect I always agree with you but in this case the following are increases since 4th Jan 2011:

Aptamil gone from 10.49 to 10.99 to 11.54 in all supermarkets, I now but in Boots or Sam McCaulys Chemist.

Milupa baby rice gone from 2.05 to 2.99, I buy cow & gate for 1.99

Pampers baby dry ecc. pack size 3 was 10.49 now 12.39 per pack, I buy boots own brand.

I used to go to 3 supermarkets for my shopping now add 3 chemists to that list.

logic wrote: »
    I see that most items have gone up price in most supermarkets. Its getting really hard now, took a massive paycut and now taxed more after that last budget and oil is going up too.

Tesco online was charging me 6.70 for a box of cat food that was 5.05 instore. Most items online were significantly more expensive. I'm already paying delivery charge so I didn't see the reason. Gave up shopping online with them.

The prices are the exact same, they are linked to the same database. If you dont think so call you store with the barcode and ask for a price check. They will put the code into the till and tell you what it is selling for in store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Every retailer is being hit with the increase in oil prices by way of transportation. When the price of oil goes up the price of getting consumables from A to B goes up. The transport company passes the increase onto the retailer who passes what they can onto the consumer.

The smaller retailers (like chemists) who probably don't order a pallet of nappies or babyfood every week are most likely selling stock they have, when this runs out - the increase will come in.

Also bear in mind that production costs for most packaged goods will increase while oil continues to increases in price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Also food prices have rocketed to record highs around the world!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0303/breaking25.html

Sugar prices have increased 100% since last September. The commodity market price is now 35c / pound, up from 17c last september.

Paper & board prices are up over 50% in 12 months

Oil is almost double what it was last year.

Wheat, Maize and other crops are at the highest level ever.

We may not like it, and some people will always think its the supermarkets taking extra profit, but the fact is food price inflation will be at its highest for many years this year especially those that involve commodities such a grains, sugar & oil.

BTW - this is a WORLD issue. Its the cause of the uprising in Libiya & Eygpt. Its not an Irish issue. We can do absolute feck all about it.

Another thing that has to be factored in is that minimum wage has dropped so Tesco's are saving money there!

We are all on lower incomes now and it is the supermarket that makes the most profit! We all need to take losses!

Are all of tesco's staff on minimum wage? Did Tesco make them all sign contracts to take a pay cut of €1 per hour since the minimum wage dropped?

As far as I'm aware, all the staff are continuing to recieve their full wage as stated in their contracts when they signed up. Newer staff might only be on minimum wage I'm not sure what starting pay Tesco offer, however if they are the agreed signing up to it.

So wolf, I fail to see how Tesco is saving money on wages when all the staff working there for last few months are getting paid the same levels.

Yawns wrote: »
    Are all of tesco's staff on minimum wage? Did Tesco make them all sign contracts to take a pay cut of €1 per hour since the minimum wage dropped?

As far as I'm aware, all the staff are continuing to recieve their full wage as stated in their contracts when they signed up. Newer staff might only be on minimum wage I'm not sure what starting pay Tesco offer, however if they are the agreed signing up to it.

So wolf, I fail to see how Tesco is saving money on wages when all the staff working there for last few months are getting paid the same levels.

A lot of those who work in the likes of Tesco's and other supermarkets are those who are in college most of the year and return home for all major holidays, so when they start for the Easter, or summer, yes they
    will be on less!

Also many of those who work in Tesco's, that I have personally noticed anyway, are around the 55-66 year old mark, so they may wish to wind down their working hours, pending their health, and those who arrive in to replace those hours will have cuts too!

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    A lot of those who work in the likes of Tesco's and other supermarkets are those who are in college most of the year and return home for all major holidays, so when they start for the Easter, or summer, yes they
    will be on less!

No they will not be on less. When they finish work and go back to college they are not employed so therefore not earning anything. If they choose to work in Tescos, then the will do so knowing the wages. No gun to their head.
    Also many of those who work in Tesco's, that I have personally noticed anyway, are around the 55-66 year old mark, so they may wish to wind down their working hours, pending their health, and those who arrive in to replace those hours will have cuts too!

Ah sure we should make sure Enda Kenney gets the same pay as what Berty got when he was in office. After all Berties gone so because we replaced him we should automatically pay the same high lvls of pay etc.

^ Prob a bad example but the points remains. Just because higher paid staff leave for w/e reason doesn't mean Tescos should pay someone 10 per hour for what they could hire some1 to do for 7.65

In the end if Tesco makes a big profit wouldn't that encourage them to hire more staff? I think it'd be far better if they hired two people at 7.65 then 1 person at 10 - 12. Call me crazy n all that.

Would you work 20hrs per week full flex, as in any hours between 6am and 11am at night for €153 per week?

Starting rate in tesco is 9.30 p/h.

Its a decent wage but in retail 90% of staff are on 20hrs or less per week.

so tesco employ 2 people per full time job.

• Advertisement

I have worked retail flex hours before. Of course they hire for 20 hours. it's not a highly skilled job that needs a course training before hand. At the way the taxes work out it's cheaper for Tesco's to Hire 2 people at €9 per hour for 20 hrs, than 1 person for 39-41. What happens when a busy period pops up. No need to pay overtime. Simply give full hours or try hire temp staff.

If any supermarket wasn't trying to make a profit, I'd be worried. If they can keep costs down such as wages legally then fine.

^^^
    Thats exactly the way it is, never hire anyone extra for Easter / Christmas just give temp 5hrs contracts to anyone who wants them from the 20hr staff.

Nothing at all wrong with that. Makes it easier for students and the likes to get jobs whilst in college or on holidays. They are not entitled to welfare during these periods. It's not a demanding job either.

Anyway this topic has gone way off course. Increasing food prices globally along with costs of transportation is making distributers knock up prices and all supermarkets are passing them on. Nothing new. Way of the world etc etc

And word is sugar prices from Suicra and Tate & Lyle are increasing by 15-18% next week which will feed in retail shops (all of them:D) fairly quickly.

The cause is the raw sugar price has increased by 100% in the past 12 months.

Advertisement