Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork gone down the tubes?

Options
  • 23-02-2011 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

:mad:Hey all does anyone feel that our once great city is becoming a hole? The amount of anti social behaviour and general scumbags going/hanging around the place by day as well as night is shocking! Graffitti all over the place and generally an edgey feeling at all times in lots or areas I think has crept in. I work in a bar near the city centre and I'm beginning to dislike it a lot when I once really enjoyed it - now you just don't know who is going to come in and generally be abusive! My car has been vandalised a number of times over the last year or two. There are gangs of teenagers hanging around town menacingly by day & by night and I just don't like the city I grew up in and always loved

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

The city is growing and becoming more 'diverse' which brings the good and the bad. Law enforcement though has been reduced which is never a good equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭conan doyle

Totally know what you mean about Cork. Grew up here and still love my city but it's getting really scary during day light hours. Last Saturday I was in Tesco in Paul Street which was full with young people all screaming and pushing each other. Don't get me wrong I've nothing against younger people but they had no consideration for people with buggys and older people. In fact they pushed one old lady to the ground and then laughed at her. Has any one else seen this type of behavior in Paul St

WTF??? Knocked an old lady down? I would have funted them if I saw that....sadly we now live in city where we walk by and pretend we dont see it as we are in fear for our own safety. (and that cant be blamed in a lot of cases).
    That Paul street gang wreck my head. Screaming and shouting, and all this 'hugging' business....pi$$ off and get some part time work for yourselves, play a sport, volunteer...

A few of us did go over to her. She got a fright but was ok and just wanted take her shopping home and get indoors as she said herself. Agree with you totally with this hugging and kissing crap. I live in the city and shop there a lot but it's a nightmare down there. Again not against young people but the behavior is out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

What is it with the Tesco-kids in general?

I remember when i lived in the city and went to the Paul Street Tesco. Always had kids outside, no matter what time of the day.

• Advertisement

Fair play to ye for helping her, so many people these days wouldn't.
    We all 'hung around' and made noise etc...thats just kids. But I dont understand why such a large gathering is happening outside the shopping centre, very intimidating to elderly people - a lot of which shop in Paul Street.
    Oh give me a hose.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Bloody scumbags. Doing scumbag things like hugging and kissing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Totally know what you mean about Cork. Grew up here and still love my city but it's getting really scary during day light hours. Last Saturday I was in Tesco in Paul Street which was full with young people all screaming and pushing each other. Don't get me wrong I've nothing against younger people but they had no consideration for people with buggys and older people. In fact they pushed one old lady to the ground and then laughed at her. Has any one else seen this type of behavior in Paul St

Ya I used to really like Paul st. area, especially in the summer. Yesterday I had to go to vibes and scribes. Parked in Paul st, came out, all those kids were there screaming and shouting. Turned the corner a load of little scumbags taunting buskers. A wino on the floor giving himself a tattoo with pots of ink surrounding him. I started to walk down the alley and I got a really bad feeling about being on my own walking down there. Never in my life have I felt nervous day or night in town until yesterday and it was day time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

:confused: :mad:

I've seen those hipsters around there too. "Oh, the existential angst of living in a....blah blah f**king blah"

Bunch of misguided muppets. But that's taking it too far. It's basically loitering. The poor woman.

Young people have to go somewhere I know that. God knows I was young myself but for the last number of years they are swarms of young people around Tesco and they create havoc, just try it one saturday and see for yourself. Shouting, pushing and kissing and hugging, throwing can, bottles, cig ends and rubbish all over the street. You cant get in or out of the shopping center without having to shove your way in. Now it's moved to TK Max. The shopping mall is almost empty but last week about ten young men turned it in to a skate board place which meant that you were knocked side ways on the way in. Again I have nothing against young people but huge amounts of them in one place can be intimidating and difficult to handle.

• Advertisement

Perhaps the vendors need to do a whip around for one of these.

http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/the-mosquito/

I was talking to a colleague and she told me that they had one of these fitted in Paul Street but some do gooder parent objected as they felt it damaged their little darlings ears and Tesco were forced to uninstall it. So it looks like we're stuck with them. What really confuses me is that Tesco must know that they are affecting business but do nothing to curb it. Another colleague has just told me that she complained to tesco when she had her shopping bag knocked from her hand breaking bottles and jars in it and was told that they are outside so outside the responsibility of Tesco.

Buceph wrote: »
    Bloody scumbags. Doing scumbag things like hugging and kissing.

You know it's not the hugging and kissing it's the way they launch themselves across your path without any consideration for who is coming along.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bah1011

paul street has always been a disaster for this kind of thing. The shops should really try and do somthing as it totally puts you off going in there

Agree with and I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who thinks this way.
    I hate talking about younger people like this as most of them are really great they are the future of the country but this element that has crept in around the city is giving them all a bad name.

I'm suprised the likes of Amicus haven't done something.

Mangans probably promote is - prospective clientelle for them:D

You have a point there. I don't know why they haven't. Have you noticed that the restaurant called Puccinos? I think caters for the younger crowd so they wont complain and there was also a bagel place next to it, its closed now but the owner told me that these younger crowd had wrecked the toilets there with graffiti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

That area is just haunted, it's bad karma, it was just outside the city walls and crazy things happened there.

When the centre was built first it brought a little peace to the area, but parts remained spooky and one, one who's sensitive, would just have to leave. It's just got worse over the years being fed presumably by the bad karma of passer-by. Today one can almost see the evil wall around the place.

On another note, I guess the sonic box has not deterred the youthful congregation [undoubtedly also drawn inexorably there]. A few years ago the first of the hi pitched devices was installed by the shopping centre.

The idea was that it would prove uncomfortable for people to stay more than say, ten minutes or so outside the store. I've not kept up with this, so don't know if it's still working or not. I don't go there myslef anymore.

As far as I know they had to take it out as I said parent thought it was wrong and impinging on civil liberties of the kids. What about the civil liberties of the rest of us. Haven't we the right to shop in peace. I ask is this city gone mad!

gbee wrote: »
    That area is just haunted, it's bad karma, it was just outside the city walls and crazy things happened there.

Not trying to be a smart ass now, but are you serious??? Do you know what happened there or anything?

• Advertisement

I don't know anything about spooky aspect, you'll have to ask the poster. My gripe is the drama of trying to shop and walk on the street

I don't know anything about spooky aspect, you'll have to ask the poster. My gripe is the drama of trying to shop and walk on the street

I am asking the poster :)

Ah no, it is off topic alright I suppose. I think one of my younger cousins was part of the Paul Street gang for a spell. Its was unbelievable to see the amount of pocket money she was given, no wonder she could spend all day sat/sun in town hanging around. Never had a part time job in her life. Was offered one in McD's - turned it down. Says a lot.

I suppose that is the most likely root of it, too much money, too much time on their hands and nothing to do. God I sound old when I talk like this but you know what I don't care. Sick of being pc- it's a disgrace (no offense to your cousin) and nothing is being done by the anchor store Tesco to stop it. I feel like boycotting them until sort it.

None taken - she's still not talking to me after I told her to go earn some money and stop being a bum; her mammy was not too pleased either.

I am old - and proud :p

Tesco wont do a thing, the security gaurds down there are outnumbered. I say shop elsewhere. If you have a car, Douglas is grand and convenient.

While I can imagine why people think the city is going down the tubes.
    I would suggest you try the following to re-establish how beautiful it is.

This works particularly well in the summer.
    Get into the city centre at dawn. Usually 5am during the summer just as the sun is rising and simply take a walk around morrisons island for an hour. If the weather is fine and not rainy then I promise you, the memory stay with you for life. :cool:

I was sitting there thinking the same thing. Have you every gone to Dunnes in North Main St. Thinking of giving them a go next

foxyboxer wrote: »
    While I can imagine why people think the city is going down the tubes.
    I would suggest you try the following to re-establish how beautiful it is.

This works particularly well in the summer.
    Get into the city centre at dawn. Usually 5am during the summer just as the sun is rising and simply take a walk around morrisons island for an hour. If the weather is fine and not rainy then I promise you, the memory stay with you for life. :cool:

Excellent point - not to be forgotten, there are lots of gorgeous parts to our city. I would never disagree with that. Never seen Morrisons Island in that light though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

poconnor16 wrote: »
    Not trying to be a smart ass now, but are you serious??? Do you know what happened there or anything?

Our past has many very dark moments, the old city walls being the scenes of many atrocities where individuals and whole families could be put to death.

As a boy, who's parish church was SS Peter & Paul, I was always confronted by a discomfort going around the back of the church, I thought it was really odd, especially as God's House was right there alongside.

History says that events happened, precisely where, may not be specific.

I was sitting there thinking the same thing. Have you every gone to Dunnes in North Main St. Thinking of giving them a go next

haven't been to Dunnes in North Main street in yonks! In terms of loitering, I haven't heard of any issues. Its a bit smaller than tesco I think. But there is a butcher (or was) on your way in which is handy for meat.

Me nan used to love it in there - and if it was good enough for her...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

I was talking to a colleague and she told me that they had one of these fitted in Paul Street but some do gooder parent objected as they felt it damaged their little darlings ears and Tesco were forced to uninstall it. So it looks like we're stuck with them. What really confuses me is that Tesco must know that they are affecting business but do nothing to curb it. Another colleague has just told me that she complained to tesco when she had her shopping bag knocked from her hand breaking bottles and jars in it and was told that they are outside so outside the responsibility of Tesco.

They did have one fitted alright and I'm glad that it was gotten rid of. I'm 24 now, so I suppose I was around 21/22 when it was there and it used to put me off going to Tesco because I was (and still am) young enough to hear those things. People can hear those things up to age 30, and they are piercing. It probably did more harm than good to Tesco's business given that a large proportion of that branch's customers are students.

Something else needs to be found to sort out the crowds outside the shopping centre. They are intimidating, especially since recently the genuine scumbags are congregating there rather than the more depressing (but silent) emos and goths.

Advertisement