Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork gone down the tubes?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭conan doyle

Gosh I didn't realize that people in their 20s and a bit beyond would hear that. I think you coined it in one there with scumbags. I always wonder where the Gardai are on Saturday. Not on Paul street anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SamSamSammy

awful big amount of horrible types who attend ucc.

poconnor16 wrote: »
    haven't been to Dunnes in North Main street in yonks! In terms of loitering, I haven't heard of any issues. Its a bit smaller than tesco I think. But there is a butcher (or was) on your way in which is handy for meat.

Me nan used to love it in there - and if it was good enough for her...;)

If it's good enough for your nan then it's certainly more than good enough for me and thanks I'll give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

gbee wrote: »
    That area is just haunted, it's bad karma, it was just outside the city walls and crazy things happened there.

When the centre was built first it brought a little peace to the area, but parts remained spooky and one, one who's sensitive, would just have to leave. It's just got worse over the years being fed presumably by the bad karma of passer-by. Today one can almost see the evil wall around the place.
    Yes I know what you mean. Can be very eerie, sometimes there will be a lot of people around, and people singing, talking and yet there is this.. like eerie quiet, stillness. (shivers)

On thinking about it the eerie feeling comes from the age of the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

number10a wrote: »
    I'm 24 now, so I suppose I was around 21/22 when it was there and it used to put me off going to Tesco because I was (and still am) young enough to hear those things.

Exactly the same here, depends how you treat your ears, I was never a fan of having headphones and a volume of 3million (can't understand how or why ppl do that!). I actually had a recording on my phone and I'd play it amongst friends to see the reactions, some younger than me couldn't hear it, others could hear it perfectly!

As for an "eriie" feeling, never even remotely noticed anything like that. This is the first I've heard of something like that in that area...
    when I was a kid I loved going in there, specifically to that shop with the little metal cast figures! Also really liked the Tesco in there for no reason at all!

And ya I have noticed an increase in "scumbags" or rather wannabees. Saw a bunch of about 30 teenage guys throwing water from the fountain on dancing dave a few months ago, at time I was in hillbillies sitting down eating so wasn't in a position to say anything, really pissed me off though!

Outside the city isn't great anymore either, I live in Grange and at Christmas when the snow was down I walked past a bunch of teenagers hiding behind a wall and throwing snow balls at the windshields of cars passing on the main grange road. I told them to cop on and they just laughed.

TBH it's just the way things seem to go when cities get bigger, more people, more rules, more rebellion, less law enforcement to spread around for the "minor" things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The main reason for the large gangs of teens is probably that there are absolutely no parks or public spaces in Cork City Centre. It's unusual in so far as there are almost no green spaces and a few tiny squares that are really just curves in streets of junctions.

The kids at Paul street are pretty harmless in my experience of them. They just treat it like. A school yard.

The shops should call the Gardai if they are creating a public nuisance though.

I think cork has always been a bit edgy but it's not too bad by Irish or British city centre standards. It is a bell of a lot more pleasant than it used to be.
    Cork City centre used to look really dingy in the 90s and until about 2005 when the reoaving and tidy up finished. It used to absolutely stink too due to raw sewage in the Lee. Thankfully, that's how resolved.

Overall its ok, but it needs more Gardai patrols and more regular street Cleaning.

Yeah, they treat it like a school yard but every one else has to suffer to keep them amused. If they were outside your local shop acting like this would you still be saying the same thing I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Perhaps the vendors need to do a whip around for one of these.

http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/the-mosquito/

Yes they did have one of those and they are awful things,

Im 25 and I can hear them loud and clear and its terrible. I was recently in Ashford and they had one outside the tesco there to and I found it painful... If i was living there I would intentionally not shop in the area because of it.

Yes should see Broadale in Douglas during holidays / weekends... its another congreation space... loads of the all hanging round the green and outside the shop. My next door neighbours daughter is afraid to go into the shop as she is so intimidated by the gangs she had to go through.

Only good thing is the cops move them on regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Aldi in Blackrock, well Mahon really get a few as well - really saucy little ****s that seem to have no fear in them. I think a lot of that is due to upbringing. When my mother told me not to do something I didn't as I was in fear of a 'clatter' as we would say :)
    Now I'm not advocating physical abuse, but it seems these kids grow up with no idea of consequence - and that starts at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Solair wrote: »
    The main reason for the large gangs of teens is probably that there are absolutely no parks or public spaces in Cork City Centre. It's unusual in so far as there are almost no green spaces and a few tiny squares that are really just curves in streets of junctions.

The kids at Paul street are pretty harmless in my experience of them. They just treat it like. A school yard.

The shops should call the Gardai if they are creating a public nuisance though.

I think cork has always been a bit edgy but it's not too bad by Irish or British city centre standards. It is a bell of a lot more pleasant than it used to be.
    Cork City centre used to look really dingy in the 90s and until about 2005 when the reoaving and tidy up finished. It used to absolutely stink too due to raw sewage in the Lee. Thankfully, that's how resolved.

Overall its ok, but it needs more Gardai patrols and more regular street Cleaning.

I'm sorry, and i'm not getting at you in particular, but i hate when people throw out this excuse of 'oh there's nothing there for young people, no parks etc etc. so you can't blame them'. There's PLENTY for young people to do aside from hanging around outside shops intimidating people as they try to go about their daily business cos let's face it that's what they're doing. I'm only in my mid twenties myself but you'd never find me doing this sort of thing when i was younger - i just wasn't allowed. Yes I went to town and went shopping with friends, to the cinema etc but i behaved myself and had respect for others - if i didn't my parents would have killed me!

I actually feel intimidated by these crowds that are hanging around sometimes - which is ridiculous cos they're usually like half my age - but it's just not very pleasant to have them 'greeting' you as you enter a shop....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

leahyl wrote: »
    I'm sorry, and i'm not getting at you in particular, but i hate when people throw out this excuse of 'oh there's nothing there for young people, no parks etc etc. so you can't blame them'. There's PLENTY for young people to do aside from hanging around outside shops intimidating people as they try to go about their daily business cos let's face it that's what they're doing. I'm only in my mid twenties myself but you'd never find me doing this sort of thing when i was younger - i just wasn't allowed. Yes I went to town and went shopping with friends, to the cinema etc but i behaved myself and had respect for others - if i didn't my parents would have killed me!

I actually feel intimidated by these crowds that are hanging around sometimes - which is ridiculous cos they're usually like half my age - but it's just not very pleasant to have them 'greeting' you as you enter a shop....

Totally agree with you. We had less to do than kids these days (:o you would swear I was fifty :D) but we never ever hung around town like that, I think its great :rolleyes:that the kids parents complained about the noise thingy, sure the kids were probably at home with them and they couldnt hack having them there, and they are more than happy for them to be in town doing god knows what, as long as they are not under their feet.

gbee wrote: »
    That area is just haunted, it's bad karma, it was just outside the city walls and crazy things happened there.

When the centre was built first it brought a little peace to the area, but parts remained spooky and one, one who's sensitive, would just have to leave.
    Cadyboo wrote: »
    Yes I know what you mean. Can be very eerie, sometimes there will be a lot of people around, and people singing, talking and yet there is this.. like eerie quiet, stillness. (shivers)

That's actually quite true, I always found that area a part of town that I never really liked, I wouldn't be overly into spirits and that but I do know what you both mean. From the Coal Quay all along to the Art Gallery I'd class as somewhat eerie.

Back on topic, I have noticed lots of junkies begging lately but I wouldn't feel threatened or uncomfortable in town by day or night. I'm 30 and not built like a box of matches and would have found town a lot rougher 10 years ago when the street John Graces is on was almost literally a riot zone most Friday and Saturday nights. I can see how elderly folk and ladies would find town a bit unsavoury though :)

I'm ex Gorby's/Fast Eddies staff and some of 'fisticuffs' I saw in my time around the fountain were unreal. But you expect that as a possibility when out at night, not doing your shopping on a saturday.
    RoverJames - hanging around John Graces eh? Tut tut tut......:D

poconnor16 wrote: »
    RoverJames - hanging around John Graces eh? Tut tut tut......:D

I heard about it on the radio at the time and walked past briskly the odd time ;) :pac:

RoverJames wrote: »
    I heard about it on the radio at the time and walked past briskly the odd time ;) :pac:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭grumula

just wanted to chime in with somethin' positive,
    i've been living in cork city now for 6 months, i love it, sound people, great lookin' place, and if those silly little haircuts in boots hangin' 'round paul street is all you have to worry about "ruining" the gaff, then you're laughin'!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭max 73

apart from the scummers (they're in all urban areas across the world...)

infrastructure is a joke - the roads and footpaths are getting worse, maintenance seems to be a bit of tarmacadam shoveled into the hole and trampled on & repair work is shoddy and there's still grit from the bad weather before xmas

some of the buildings in the city are eyesores - they need tlc on the outside

litter is a problem too

the bishop lucey park could do with a make over (nothing major just to tidy up the muddy patches, edging, footpath repairs)

the city needs some major TLC in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

One thing it desperately needs is a good sweep / hoovering on Sunday morning. It's filthy after Saturday night and doesn't get swept until Monday.

The other complaint is the litter and lots of it is being created by that idiotic plastic bag based recycling system. Proper green bone would reduce a lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Back on topic, I have noticed lots of junkies begging lately but I wouldn't feel threatened or uncomfortable in town by day or night. I'm 30 and not built like a box of matches and would have found town a lot rougher 10 years ago when the street John Graces is on was almost literally a riot zone most Friday and Saturday nights. I can see how elderly folk and ladies would find town a bit unsavoury though :)

I'd agree with you there, I think "scumbaginess" has gotten more psychological/intimidating and less physical, which in ways are just as bad. I'm in Cork nearly 3 years now and find it a grand old spot, have no qualms about walking anywhere through the city at anytime day or night too. Before this I was in Dublin, where I heard all sorts of stories about where I was living and how rough it used to be, but I hadn't any trouble there either.

The "Paul Street teenagers" do annoy me alright, but I have a solution! Encourage their parents to all appear some Saturday, and see what they get up to! Might be more humane and more embarrassing than a teenage size ultra sonic rat repeller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭fergisimo

To be honest, I think more than anything the city needs a big fat ****ing dose of culture. With the Opera House is dire straits and the Kino closing, all that's left to do in the city at night is get piss arse drunk or go to a bloody awful gig or two.

Like a poster mentioned earlier, you get scum anywhere in the world. It's unavoidable. And if you do see them doing something awful to something or someone, stand up for yourself and tell them **** right off or you'll call the Garda. I'm living out in Douglas Village and compared to the city, it's gotten 10x worse. Little guys stomping around with bottles and little girls dressed in sweet **** all. Their parents would wanna wake the **** up and come down the road and drag their arse back home.

In fact, the worst I've seen (and to me this is pretty ****ing terrible), is when I worked in the Village. On my break one night, I walked outside (behind Chartbusters) for a cigarette. After 5 minutes or so I noticed a raging ****ing fire coming from beside Dominoes Pizza. I ran over and 3 or 4 girls legged it after they saw me. I only caught a glimpse of them (the usual oul' ****ing knackers), but I did see they were warming their hands of an industrial-sized bin that they'd set fire to. I **** you not. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

That's actually quite true, I always found that area a part of town that I never really liked, I wouldn't be overly into spirits and that but I do know what you both mean. From the Coal Quay all along to the Art Gallery I'd class as somewhat eerie.

That's my favourite bit of the city actually. Love walking down past Waterstones to the Tesco.

Has that area always been a hang-out for teens? I've been living round Cork City since only 2005...have never felt in danger or threatened, but it is annoying having that big crowd outside Tesco...trying to get in or out. When it's raining, it's like there is a frigging human wall just inside the bloody door.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

You know it's not the hugging and kissing it's the way they launch themselves across your path without any consideration for who is coming along.

I'm 19.5 stone of solid muscle, i'd love for one of them to get in my way. They'd go flying across the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

CorkMan wrote: »
    I'm 19.5 stone of solid muscle, i'd love for one of them to get in my way. They'd go flying across the street.
    so it was you that flattened that old lady then;)

Ps the mosquito tone talked about can be easily generated with free software and recorded to a portable device where it could be used as a potential teen repellant;).

I have done this at home but have not really tested it effectively as yet. Would be interesting to try it out though if any one wants info on how to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

If you find the people who hang around by Paul Street intimidating, you don't have an awful lot to worry about. Honestly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Ps the mosquito tone talked about can be easily generated with free software and recorded to a portable device where it could be used as a potential teen repellant;).

I have done this at home but have not really tested it effectively as yet. Would be interesting to try it out though if any one wants info on how to do it.
    Well that's slightly pathetic. But by all means take out that portable device in front of a group of genuinely dodgy teens (because you won't be at all conspicuous) and see how long it lasts.

Namlub wrote: »
    Well that's slightly pathetic. But by all means take out that portable device in front of a group of genuinely dodgy teens (because you won't be at all conspicuous) and see how long it lasts.
    Generating a piece of sound is not illegal. Plus it can be done invisibly as a device that can be carried but not seen. Like I said it has not been tested to see if it works or not.

There is a carryable system in place that can disrupt phones and make them useless within the area of the 'carrier' of the tech (it negates incoming calls) this is usefull for lecturers in a roomfull of people with phones. Arguably it could negate emergency calls as well so it could be an issue in that respect.

if you know what you are doing with tech you can do anything to disrupt the current tech in place anon.

I can do this stuff, but I do not. I find it interesting though to imagine ways of using it based on what people have said to possibly use it to alleviate what is seen as a social problem.

personally I don't find the teens a problem, but if ever do then then I might test my ideas to see if they work;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I love how people are giving out about those that hang out in Paul street when the majority of youth problems is the scobe fellas that go around in swarms of 8-20 fellas and at random stages tear down full streets.

Lads get off yer high horses will ye,Ye complain about fun loving teens instead of those that actually cause problems.

• Advertisement

Seloth wrote: »
    I love how people are giving out about those that hang out in Paul street when the majority of youth problems is the scobe fellas that go around in swarms of 8-20 fellas and at random stages tear down full streets.

Lads get off yer high horses will ye,Ye complain about fun loving teens instead of those that actually cause problems.

Eh, the thread has made mention to said scobes who usually cause the most trouble. Since when does having a rant (and a giggle) equate to some form of equestrian activity?

**and the norrie gets back on her 'high horse'...neigh**
    :-)

Advertisement