Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork gone down the tubes?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

poconnor16 wrote: »
    Eh, the thread has made mention to said scobes who usually cause the most trouble. Since when does having a rant (and a giggle) equate to some form of equestrian activity?

**and the norrie gets back on her 'high horse'...neigh**
    :-)

Well, to be fair, the teens in Paul St are hardy scobes...they may hug and kiss each other and get in the way, but they are hardy violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i have never noticed any of those paul street mugs doing anything more than standing around talking and acting gay. they are anything but aggressive and anyone who feels intimidated by a bunch of emos sitting on the ground pretending to be depressed seriously needs to grow a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sammalone

Well ladsI think if law abiding older people are being intimidated while going about their daily routine in town during the daytime then it IS a problem and something should be done, I also feel for the shops around there if people are avoiing the area over these yobs!
    My poor mother who is in her 70's lives near an off licence and every friday at about 5ish gangs of dodgey youths gather trying to get people to buy them drink. She is afraid to go out to the shop while they are hanging about shouting and putting graffiti on walls and doors. If I confront them and they see me coming in or going out of the house I'm afraid they will target my mothers house so I don't know what to do. Deliverence, if you think you could be of assistance then I would be interested in your high pitched technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Again, the type of people who hang around outside Paul Street are not the same type of people who hang around outside offlicences and graffiti things. Maybe people's failure to make that distinction is part of the reason why they feel so intimidated, because believe it or not some teenagers are capable of congregating in groups of more than two without feeling a sudden urge to imtimidate others or act like yobs.

tweedledee wrote: »
    I was in Cork recently,filthy place,dog **** everywhere.I was walking in a local park and got grief from a group of teenagers,they spat at me while i was getting some air,it was the last time they would spit at somebody,i battered FOUR of em,yeah FOUR of em.Some people should not be ****ed with.Respect is nice.

What park did this allegedly occur in? Also how old were these teenagers/kids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

I was in Cork recently,filthy place,dog **** everywhere.I was walking in a local park and got grief from a group of teenagers,they spat at me while i was getting some air,it was the last time they would spit at somebody,i battered FOUR of em,yeah FOUR of em.Some people should not be ****ed with.Respect is nice.

Haha, maybe it's the 11 hours straight of thesis writing I just did, but I find this post hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I detect LIES :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

By battered them, he meant brought them all to Jackie Lennox's.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Did you quote that after you battered them? :D
    ali-g-respect.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

indough wrote: »
    i have never noticed any of those paul street mugs doing anything more than standing around talking and acting gay. they are anything but aggressive and anyone who feels intimidated by a bunch of emos sitting on the ground pretending to be depressed seriously needs to grow a pair.

Thanks for that - I'll let my elderly nan know that she needs to grow a pair of balls. 'Seriously nan, like man up will ya! Where are your balls?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

I'm a moving to Cork in a month, never lived there before, looking forward to it! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Thanks for that - I'll let my elderly nan know that she needs to grow a pair of balls. 'Seriously nan, like man up will ya! Where are your balls?'

They are totally harmless though. You can't go evicting them because of the odd person's misconceptions.

blah wrote: »
    I'm a moving to Cork in a month, never lived there before, looking forward to it! :rolleyes:

Just dont forget to pack your balls and you'll be fine! :D:D

Ah no - you've nothing to worry about, I think we are just nit picking a bit here. Yes we have our fair share of scumbags, but it's minimal in comparison to bigger cities.
    And re the 'Paul Street kids' - nothing to worry about really (unless you are elderly or in some way nervous of big crowds). We started discussing them as an old lady was knocked over in the shopping centre where they congregate - they're just more annoying than anything.

A bit of common sense and Cork is not that hard to navigate. (Except for the one way systems).

Welcome to the Real Capital anyway ya langer! ;)

Stark wrote: »
    They are totally harmless though. You can't go evicting them because of the odd person's misconceptions.

I agree with you - the majority of them are harmless. As I said, they are just annoying more than anything else. I just personally would not fancy sitting outside say Amicus for a coffee listening to them.

Big gangs of them jumping about and screaming would be intimidating to an elderly person wanting to go do shopping though.

What I have noticed is that a few 'scobes' (not Emos) have started hanging around to pick on the emo kids and that is causing trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

And re the 'Paul Street kids' - nothing to worry about really (unless you are elderly or in some way nervous of big crowds).

No worries, I'm moving from London so I'm well used to hipster types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Come spend a week in Limerick and ye'll realise how good Cork is...
    I've even heard KERRY people praise Cork after moving to Limerick after being in Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Cork is phenomenally safe. A friend of mine moved over from Glasgow and nearly wets himself at what is considered "rough" here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

I agree OP - city has gotten rougher, especially up around St.Lukes, Summer Hill and Dillon's Cross areas. But as per Paul St., a lot of this is psychological in that you now have groups of scum hanging around the above areas but are they running riot in the streets? Not yet - there has been an increase in burglaries alright and I think it is that element we should be as worried about! For the most part people outside Paul St. are ok, just kids hanging around. Its when some of them are blocking doorways, or sharing one coffee between 10 of them in one of the cafes in the area that annoys me. But dangerous? No.

Having just returned from Woolwich Arsenal, it could be worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

I can see how if you're elderly the dickheads on paul st. might be intimidating. They are loud and all that crap. Anyone under 50 with half a pair of balls would tell any ten of them to **** off without fear of injury.

Bunch of emo dopes. Harmless. I'd be more afraid of my mother.

tommy21 wrote: »
    I agree OP - city has gotten rougher, especially up around St.Lukes, Summer Hill and Dillon's Cross areas.

You have a ginormous issue with that area :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

The kids on Paul Street always reminds me of Shaun of the Dead :) I see no major harm in them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I remember the kids hanging out in paul street when i was young and they were all fine just hung around the place perhaps playing a few tunes, but if defo has got rougher the kids are so loud and dont respect anything. Tisnt only them though the gangs that hand out by mcdonals too are mad hatters not in a fun way they are so loud. Town has defiantly changed for the worse people arent as friendly people seem to have forgotten how to be polite to other people, it doesnt matter what or who you are a bit of politness goes a long way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭HooterSnout

I miss that old circular wooden bench that used to be outside there. I remember sitting on that waiting for the mother to finish doing the shopping in tescos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Another colleague has just told me that she complained to tesco when she had her shopping bag knocked from her hand breaking bottles and jars in it and was told that they are outside so outside the responsibility of Tesco.

Ok this makes no sense to me... :confused:

It's Tescos property....the car park and the trolleys outside!

If it's just wee emo kids I wouldn't mind so much. Bloody fierce annoying having to get through any gang of teenagers they are friggin deaf and blind when it comes to other folks around them who are older/way younger than them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Ok this makes no sense to me... :confused
    Rory Gallagher square is not the property of Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

RoverJames wrote: »
    You have a ginormous issue with that area :pac:

I do live there! I won't let thems terroasts gets away with my propery, innit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭CrystalLettuce

Ps the mosquito tone talked about can be easily generated with free software and recorded to a portable device where it could be used as a potential teen repellant;).

I have done this at home but have not really tested it effectively as yet. Would be interesting to try it out though if any one wants info on how to do it.

The speaker in a lot of phones etc. either would have a hard time reproducing 17.4khz(but it's still well below the cutoff for over 20s, so not just teens will hear it), or enough volume for it to take effect. It's an asshole idea anyway. I can't believe people going on about their civil rights to shop being more important than the teenagers to hassle people, come on like, if you said that about muslims or gay people you'd rightfully get a slap. It's only a tiny minority of young people that are causing that hassle. People shouldn't be discriminated against because they're young, there are going to be a lot of sub 20s in there as genuine customers especially since the Gathering is in there too.

I've never gotten any hassle from the kids going into Paul Street. I don't like scene kids, I think it's a tacky fashion and the kissing and hugging is a bit silly, but they're harmless and I doubt that story with the old lady happened the way it did. The genuine scumbags are an issue, and it really worries me as someone who is generally the first target of people like that, but that just makes me angrier at the people who act like they have a rough time having to pass some kids with badly dyed hair on the way to the shops. ****'s sake like.

Also, I am 25 and can hear it perfectly(look up Mosquito Alarm on youtube), it's massively uncomfortable, and even if you can't hear it can still be disorientating. Such a dreadful invention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

langdang wrote: »
    Rory Gallagher square is not the property of Tesco.

Oh I thought it was a regular tesco with the big car park out the front and such!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Liveline on RTE covered the mosquito noise in Paul Street a year or so ago, the coverage began with a caller who has an autistic child who went into a shrieking fit as they neared Rory Gallagher Place. The caller was adamant that it was that mosquito noise that triggered the child's distress. I am often in Paul St on a Saturday, and my impression of the teenagers hanging around there is that they are well, teenagers and nice kids actually. Cork is a city with very little space for people to congregate in. If the incident the OP described did occur, then it was totally out of character of the vast majority of the people who hang out there.

I have not been a teenager since 1976!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 joebstarsurfer

I was just joking about Cork being a village.The problem is the Emo kids being hyper lol.Cork is so father Ted like .If you want a sterile life move to Douglas!.
    If an old women fell over in Douglas people would step over her).
    Thank god for the Emo bstrds one group of people that arent drunk having fun .I found this by mistake but it made me laugh reminded me of the moaney middle class neighbour .Afew things that Cork people never sort out streets coverd in dog **** stray dogs and rubbish .

Advertisement