Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork gone down the tubes?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Afew things that Cork people never sort out streets coverd in dog **** stray dogs and rubbish .

Funny you mention that. I was covering a dance festival recently and there were people here [for the festival] from Scotland, Dublin and Argentina [as well as the usual scattering of tourists] and they all commented on how clean the city was, I started to disagree [?] but was firmly put in my place and it was suggested I vist their own home neighbourhoods.

Just saying like and I was not working for the tourist department, but maybe I should. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 joebstarsurfer

Its diferant when youre on holiday lol.On a positive note Corks so safe the scarriest thing that can happen is annoying emo kids or orange townies .
    The worst thing about the kids is there lack of Goth abit fake really not like in my day Goths didnt have facebook .The moaner should just go to MnS unless there one of those tb parents i see there scarry .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I've noticed an awfull lot of tinker kids hanging around Patrick St in the evenings lately.There was a shower of them fighting near brown Thomas a few weeks back,seems to be the same bunch always.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 joebstarsurfer

If anything happens outside Tescos which hasnt in over alot of years i will put it up here.Cork is the mild west ).Has anyone noticed the trafic aswell terrible lol.The tax as well and the teenage mums and black taxi drivers .
    Tesco blog day 1 nothing happend lol.If the emos and the Christian could fight id watch that!!!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

We should allow the gun store above the fishing equipment shop to legally sell guns. That'd add a bit of colour and character to the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

I wonder will they lock those Emo's up for when her majesty parades our streets?

CorkMan wrote: »
    We should allow the gun store above the fishing equipment shop to legally sell guns.

They do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Its diferant when youre on holiday lol.On a positive note Corks so safe the scarriest thing that can happen is annoying emo kids or orange townies .
    The worst thing about the kids is there lack of Goth abit fake really not like in my day Goths didnt have facebook .The moaner should just go to MnS unless there one of those tb parents i see there scarry .

I disagree on the safety thing. The number of people rocking up at A and E, who have been injured at someone else's hand is incredible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Lol. Emophobia. If you shouted at those kids they probably break down crying. I never feel intimidated in the city - day or night.

What's wrong with you people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah I'm not trying to be dismissive of anyone who has experienced intimidation, and maybe I have a skewed view because I know Cork so well due to being born and bred here, but for nearly 10 years, I've lived on and off in an area close to the centre of town, which isn't dangerous overall but there are safer areas... I've gone out in Cork centre for years and years, I've walked streets of Cork at night alone (stupid, but I was drunk - wouldn't do it sober) and really, I'm from a nice "rurban" area where there's never trouble bar people getting rowdy in the pubs so I'm not a street-wise "ghetto" chick :pac:... but I just do not know what people who say Cork's gone down the tubes are talking about. :confused:
    It just kinda seems like looking for something to get anxious about. Of course there will be incidents, like anywhere; unfortunately there are a few dodgy lowlives, and maybe it's because I know what streets to avoid. Maybe it's because I'm lucky. But generally, it just seems as if this place is as far from "no-go" as you could possibly get. My impression is, if Cork was ever any bit rough overall, it would have been in the past rather than now - e.g. when it was an economic blackspot 15-25 years ago. Since then however, things have picked up hugely in that regard, and there have been some very successful regeneration programmes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

tommy21 wrote: »
    I wonder will they lock those Emo's up for when her majesty parades our streets?

Yet leave the scobes that would start chanting IRA and throw **** at her even thought the most history they know dates back to last week?

The worst you get from Paul street is people being hyper.A few years ago...ok well 3 years ago when I was 16 (19 now,Im so old and wise :pac:) being a hyper Paul street kid I did indeed bump into an old woman,knocking her shopping bag from her hand but I immediately helped her and offered to take it to her car but she was grand about it and started to say how when she was a teen she crashed a tractor through a wall :pac:

If anywheres rough its Peacepark...That place has just gotten so dodgey.

Speaking of having respect for the city and all that I think so may take it to a bit of an extreme(I hope this person is here :pac:).On grand parade last summer at one of the pillars,and my friend starts whacking another with a bread roll(as,well thats what teenagers do I guess),anyway a tiny bit broke off and before it was anywhere near the ground a near by man walking with his girlfriend yells at them going "YOU ****ING MORON!,HAVE SOME ****ING RESPECT FOR YOUR CITY!"....Hmm so yah the bread hits the ground just as he finishes.No dont yell at the Knacker kids robbing and littering with their pants tucked into their socks :pac:.

Seloth wrote: »
    Yet leave the scobes that would start chanting IRA and throw **** at her even thought the most history they know dates back to last week?

Was being sarcastic!:P

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not trying to be dismissive of anyone who has experienced intimidation, and maybe I have a skewed view because I know Cork so well due to being born and bred here, but for nearly 10 years, I've lived on and off in an area close to the centre of town, which isn't dangerous overall but there are safer areas... I've gone out in Cork centre for years and years, I've walked streets of Cork at night alone (stupid, but I was drunk - wouldn't do it sober) and really, I'm from a nice "rurban" area where there's never trouble bar people getting rowdy in the pubs so I'm not a street-wise "ghetto" chick :pac:... but I just do not know what people who say Cork's gone down the tubes are talking about. :confused:
    It just kinda seems like looking for something to get anxious about. Of course there will be incidents, like anywhere; unfortunately there are a few dodgy lowlives, and maybe it's because I know what streets to avoid. Maybe it's because I'm lucky. But generally, it just seems as if this place is as far from "no-go" as you could possibly get. My impression is, if Cork was ever any bit rough overall, it would have been in the past rather than now - e.g. when it was an economic blackspot 15-25 years ago. Since then however, things have picked up hugely in that regard, and there have been some very successful regeneration programmes.

Its a warzone I tells ya ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Cadyboo wrote: »
    Ya I used to really like Paul st. area, especially in the summer. Yesterday I had to go to vibes and scribes. Parked in Paul st, came out, all those kids were there screaming and shouting. Turned the corner a load of little scumbags taunting buskers. A wino on the floor giving himself a tattoo with pots of ink surrounding him. I started to walk down the alley and I got a really bad feeling about being on my own walking down there. Never in my life have I felt nervous day or night in town until yesterday and it was day time!!

It's been like that for the last ten years anyway, it's hardly new that Paul street attracts kids, winos and assholes...

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

Seloth wrote: »

The worst you get from Paul street is people being hyper.A few years ago...ok well 3 years ago when I was 16 (19 now,Im so old and wise :pac:) being a hyper Paul street kid I did indeed bump into an old woman,knocking her shopping bag from her hand but I immediately helped her and offered to take it to her car but she was grand about it and started to say how when she was a teen she crashed a tractor through a wall :pac:

If anywheres rough its Peacepark...That place has just gotten so dodgey.

Speaking of having respect for the city and all that I think so may take it to a bit of an extreme(I hope this person is here :pac:).On grand parade last summer at one of the pillars,and my friend starts whacking another with a bread roll(as,well thats what teenagers do I guess),anyway a tiny bit broke off and before it was anywhere near the ground a near by man walking with his girlfriend yells at them going "YOU ****ING MORON!,HAVE SOME ****ING RESPECT FOR YOUR CITY!"....Hmm so yah the bread hits the ground just as he finishes.No dont yell at the Knacker kids robbing and littering with their pants tucked into their socks :pac:.

That's because it's there culture and we have to respect that.:pac: Imo Cork has the same problems that any other urban area has but i still think it's a nicer place than Dublin and Limerick.(This coming from a Cork county man)To be honest i think Galway which is a much smaller city than Cork is just as bad for tinkers and scobes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

How is the ould heroin sitch a ayshun down in cork now?

Daegerty wrote: »

Is that english you're speaking?There has been an increase in heroin use in all areas outside of Dublin Waterford for example also has a serious heroin problem but that's the way things are.While junkies are a more common site on Corks streets i still think Dublin is worse.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Daegerty wrote: »
    It's here - had been very, very low-level up to quite recently but the increase is noticeable now. Nowhere near as commonplace as in Dublin, but that's not to say it can't get to that point.

Re Paul Street: has to be one of the least intimidating places in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Noticed Kiely's Jewelers on Academy Street has closed down this week as has Roly's Fudge shop on Princes Street and, it appears, Metropolis boutique on Oliver Plunkett Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

While junkies are a more common site on Corks streets i still think Dublin is worse.:pac:

You have stated this about 300 times now at this stage i reckon, along with Cork being much bigger than everywhere except Dublin, our GAA achievements, why Cork is so safe, why you think Cork is better ........etc......

You said your a county man, why dont ya leave the arguments about our city to the people from there and go talk about Mallow or somewhere stupid in the other Cork forum

• Advertisement

CHealy wrote: »
    You have stated this about 300 times now at this stage i reckon, along with Cork being much bigger than everywhere except Dublin, our GAA achievements, why Cork is so safe, why you think Cork is better ........etc......

You said your a county man, why dont ya leave the arguments about our city to the people from there and go talk about Mallow or somewhere stupid in the other Cork forum

I am a proud Cork county man(we are one county and what a great county we are too) and Cork GAA man if that offends you West Brit soccer and rugger boy then too bad.:pac:

I am a proud Cork county man(we are one county and what a great county we are too) and Cork GAA man if that offends you West Brit soccer and rugger boy then too bad.:pac:

Thats a strange comment, you call me a west Brit for following football(not soccer), yet the team I support is Cork City. I just cant get my head around the fact that you call yourself a proud Cork man, but yet you label anyone who represents or supports a Cork team in football or rugby West Brits.

Hole.Shovel.Deeper

Now go on away and hit a sliotar off a wall for a few hours, mucksavage:):)

I lived in Galway for a year, Galway has remarkably few scobes knocking about the city centre. If you think Galway has more scobes than Cork you must be blinkered or not about Cork City that often.

RoverJames wrote: »
    I lived in Galway for a year, Galway has remarkably few scobes knocking about the city centre. If you think Galway has more scobes than Cork you must be blinkered or not about Cork City that often.

I lived in Galway for 2 years myself and to be honest i found it to be a lot rougher then people would have you believe.(It's grand during the day but Eyre Square and the Spanish Arch can get very rough in the evening)For a small city compared to Cork and Dublin i found it to be bad enough for scobes.Of course it would have fewer scobes than Cork anyway considering that it's a much much smaller city.

Thats a strange comment, you call me a west Brit for following football(not soccer), yet the team I support is Cork City. I just cant get my head around the fact that you call yourself a proud Cork man, but yet you label anyone who represents or supports a Cork team in football or rugby West Brits.

Hole.Shovel.Deeper

Now go on away and hit a sliotar off a wall for a few hours, mucksavage:):)

I will do at least it's proper irish sport.:pac:

I lived in Galway for 2 years myself and to be honest i found it to be a lot rougher then people would have you believe.(It's grand during the day but Eyre Square and the Spanish Arch can get very rough in the evening)For a small city compared to Cork and Dublin i found it to be bad enough for scobes.Of course it would have fewer scobes than Cork anyway considering that it's a much much smaller city.

Eyre Square and Spanish Arch rough? Really, fair enough, your idea of rough and mine are obviously different. Lots of country folk are like that though :)

Eyre Square and Spanish Arch rough? Really, fair enough, your idea of rough and mine are obviously different. Lots of country folk are like that though :)

Yes yes my point was that it's bit of a red herring to compare it to Cork and Dublin imo i see it as more accurate to compare Galway to Ennis,Clonmel,Tralee,Athone etc.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bigSuzi12

OOOOOh AAAAArrrrrrr

That would be 301 and 302 times you've stated this, close the thread and give this man a medal.

• Advertisement

That would be 301 and 302 times you've stated this, close the thread and give this man a medal.

Im just calling it as i see it though.:pac:I apologise for the west brit remark i though you were one of those english soccer team loving nancy boy's.:pac:My final point i think Cork is okay by irish and british standards but the nicest city i ever set foot in was Basel in Switzerland you wouldn't find a scobe there if you tried.:pac: (If you're to give me a city that's safer than Cork give me a proper one for the love of god not places like Galway and Sligo etc.)

Advertisement