Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

westport roundabout unfinished road

Options
  • 23-02-2011 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭

what's up with the Westport road just as you come on to the roundabout, there is a 50m stretch that's not tarred. its been like that since before Christmas.

did they run out of money?

its looks crap. i wonder are they going to finish. it was Michael O Malley on hire to council who did it.
    wish they would get around to putting lines on the road as well as people just drive in the middle of the road rather than a lane.

also the cathal duffy roundabout should be made smaller and the lanes fixed. They should make it like the roundabout at tesco.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Castlebar roundabouts are an exercise in perversity anyway. The approach from the fire station to Cathal Duffy's is so wrong-headed it's hard to comprehend - if you're going straight ahead to the Dublin road, you have to stay left at the pedestrian crossing, then veer right to get into the correct lane for the roundabout.

And don't get me started on the average Irish driver's complete and utter inability to use a roundabout correctly... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

irishgeo wrote: »
    They should make it like the roundabout at tesco.
    I'm not sure I'd agree there. I can't count how many near misses I've seen at that Tesco roundabout in the last few weeks.

There's nothing wrong with the roundabout per se, but the majority of drivers inability to use it is staggering. I'm not sure if it's poor judgement due to the unusual size of the roundabout or if it's simply due to so many roads converging on it that drivers don't pay attention/lose concentration, but it really is a nightmare if there's any traffic around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I'm not sure I'd agree there. I can't count how many near misses I've seen at that Tesco roundabout in the last few weeks.

There's nothing wrong with the roundabout per se, but the majority of drivers inability to use it is staggering. I'm not sure if it's poor judgement due to the unusual size of the roundabout or if it's simply due to so many roads converging on it that drivers don't pay attention/lose concentration, but it really is a nightmare if there's any traffic around it.

its the fact is different lane layouts on every side and that its different than every other roundabout in the country, where you cant go straight on in the left lane. the amount of dublin cars you see flying up the inside lane to go straight on is huge and the fact the arrows are painted on the road also adds to the confusion. the little signs they erected showing the lane layouts dont really do the job.

another roundabout which is lacking in lane markings is the mcdonalds one, i really dont know who had the brain wave to put the pedestrian crossing on the roundabout, but they must be stark raving mad.

They should have built a pedestrian tunnel under that road.

irishgeo wrote: »
    another roundabout which is lacking in lane markings is the mcdonalds one...
    It really, really doesn't help that there are two lanes leading into that roundabout from all four directions with absolutely no indication as to which way you're supposed to go from each one. Coupled with the point-blank refusal of so many people to indicate correctly (or at all) on roundabouts, it descends into farce.

they must have read my post. resurfacing the whole roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭unit 1

It appears there was "ahem" a problem with the surfacing job done before xmas that is probably being put right now.
    On the westport side there appears to be patches where the chips don't seem to have bedded into the asphalt (I'm no expert on this btw), and this being Ireland "nobody" probably knows who foots the bill for any remedial works.

unit 1 wrote: »
    It appears there was "ahem" a problem with the surfacing job done before xmas that is probably being put right now.
    On the westport side there appears to be patches where the chips don't seem to have bedded into the asphalt (I'm no expert on this btw), and this being Ireland "nobody" probably knows who foots the bill for any remedial works.

they didnt finish the whole job the last time.

its about time they resurfaced that roundabout , its very slippy when its wet, the next one for resurfacing should be the cathal duffy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

They laid the tar in sub zero temperatures back in the big freeze, that could have been part of the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Faunglass

Castlebar is a nightmare as far as the rules of the road is concerned.They ve there own rules.Im getting used to the few odd ones where you can only go Right or Left.But ,like I was, I worry that other drivers might be thinking how one SHOULD approach roundabouts.I ve seen adverts on TV telling viewers how one manouvers around a roundabout,YET, that s not how I see drivers behave.If you want to go straight across a roundabout , you stay in the left lane.
    Hope they don t have too many mini roundabouts ,never seen soo much havoc in England than the mini roundabout ,:D, chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

If you have a good look at the direction arrows on the lanes leading towards the Cathal Duffy roundabout coming from Mulroys. Clearly marked that the left lane is LEFT ONLY.What confuses people is the lead - in to the Mulroy roundabout, where you can use the Let lane to go left or straight on. The Right Lane is RIGHT ONLY. Those roundabouts have been there since the late 90s, long before the RSA was even a pipedream. Maybe they should be contacted so as to have a uniform system. Now if the damn council repainted those ground-signs regularly, well then............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Crikey I thought Ballina was bad.......looks like Castlebar's planners/engineers are on a par with Ballina. Though given how Mayo Co Co keep changing them it was probably the same set......;)

If you have a good look at the direction arrows on the lanes leading towards the Cathal Duffy roundabout coming from Mulroys. Clearly marked that the left lane is LEFT ONLY.
    Yes, I know. The problem with that is that it's batsh*t insane. It runs counter to how roundabouts work pretty much everywhere else in the country (and elsewhere in Castlebar), and requires a swerve from left lane to right after the pedestrian crossing. It requires that visitors to the town be aware that there is a roundabout that defies all logic so that they can briefly unlearn logical roundabout approach techniques.
    Those roundabouts have been there since the late 90s, long before the RSA was even a pipedream. Maybe they should be contacted so as to have a uniform system.
    Maybe Castlebar should have roundabouts that all work the same, and that work the same as roundabouts everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Maybe it's a magic roundabout? :D

Of course it would be even better if they put high-up overhang signs advising commuters to "Get in Lane", particularly at the Westport Rd roundabout and Mulroys roundabout as they are on the main road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

Did my test a year ago and was told by instructor that for all roundabouts in castlebar, straight ahead is the right lane, total opposite to the rules of the road. The tesco roundabout is a death trap, people just saunter through it without indicating. Also, can people please INDICATE!!! I find myself more aware of rules of road having done the test relatively recently, i think it should be obligatory to do your test every 5 yrs or at least have to attend some sort of refresher course, honestly some of the most nonchalent drivers in mayo!

C-J wrote: »
    Did my test a year ago and was told by instructor that for all roundabouts in castlebar, straight ahead is the right lane...
    Not true in at least one case: the approach to the first roundabout coming in from the Dublin road. It's not even consistent. :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I think they change it for the fun, I THINK that Dublin road into the roundabout has been changed 3 times in the last 5 years.
    Your on the left coming to that RB, on the right at the Cathal Duffy RB, on the left on the Tesco RB!! Wonderful.

I don't think the Tesco roundabout has any signage to indicate which lane to use for which direction, which only confuses things further.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I don't think the Tesco roundabout has any signage to indicate which lane to use for which direction, which only confuses things further.

That would be the logical thing to do if they put in signage, add to that the pedestrian crossing and its a mess there.

That bloody pedestrian crossing should've been underground, but of course the bungling council would'nt hear of it:(

• Advertisement

If everybody followed the rules of the road at Tescos there wouldn t be a problem.If you re going straight across you stay on the left.All other routes you veer to the right.To the poster re signaling,It s for courtasy purposes only.If you re in an accident because of wrong signalling (driver changes their mind) it doesn t count for insurance purposes.I know as it happened to me.I also know of other people it happened to.
    Had a twat nearly cut me off at the Dublin roundabout a few days ago as he obviously didn t know where he was going and cut in between the 2 "lanes".That s just BAD driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

Forgot about the dublin road but that's not on the test, and it's been changed so many times in recent years people don't care anymore it seems! As regards signalling it's simply good driving to signal and let other drivers know your intent rather than thinking people should assume which way you're going.

Faunglass wrote: »
    If everybody followed the rules of the road at Tescos there wouldn t be a problem.
    That would require that everyone make a conscious decision to ignore what they've learned for (almost) every other roundabout in Castlebar.

I've yet to hear anything like a reasoned explanation for why Castlebar roundabout lane layouts are different from the norm.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    That would require that everyone make a conscious decision to ignore what they've learned for (almost) every other roundabout in Castlebar.

I've yet to hear anything like a reasoned explanation for why Castlebar roundabout lane layouts are different from the norm.

Well OB when you look at some of the heads on the Council there it shouldn't surprise you ;)

all we need now is the line painting guys?

Surely when your learning the rules of the road , you re being taught so that you can drive anywhere in Ireland and Britain,NOT just in Castlebar. If you are , that is so wrong. Castlebars rules are one off.

Surely when your learning the rules of the road , you re being taught so that you can drive anywhere in Ireland and Britain,NOT just in Castlebar. If you are , that is so wrong. Castlebars rules are one off.

http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html

the rules of the road state that you must follow all signs and observe local conditions.

castlebar is a one off but you still have to follow the rules of the road.

Yes of course follow the rules of the road.But looking at some of the recent posts, sounds like some now need to be told how to approach/go around a roundabout eg Tesco s.If that s the case , sounds like, they ve only been taught about the Castlebar rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Yes of course follow the rules of the road.But looking at some of the recent posts, sounds like some now need to be told how to approach/go around a roundabout eg Tesco s.If that s the case , sounds like, they ve only been taught about the Castlebar rules.

What you need for the tesco roundabout is a stint in the marines. I consider myself a good driver and when I am coming out of tesco all that bothers me is getting the f*** off the roundabout before some fool hits me, not lanes or indicators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

They made a grand job of it. Lick of paint now.

Advertisement