Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

westport roundabout unfinished road

Options
2»

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

What you need for the tesco roundabout is a stint in the marines. I consider myself a good driver and when I am coming out of tesco all that bothers me is getting the f*** off the roundabout before some fool hits me, not lanes or indicators.
    A good deal of the problem there is that many Irish drivers seem to feel that once they're on a roundabout then they're legally entitled to have it to themselves. The idea that someone would (shock, horror) drive onto the roundabout from a different entrance and end up in front of them is too horrific to contemplate.

Driving on Danish roads is an eye-opener. If you can safely drive onto a roundabout without causing a car already on it to actively slam on the brakes, then you do so, and the car you end up in front of expects and accepts it. Roundabouts over there aren't traffic bottlenecks the way they are here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

oscarBravo wrote: »
    A good deal of the problem there is that many Irish drivers seem to feel that once they're on a roundabout then they're legally entitled to have it to themselves. The idea that someone would (shock, horror) drive onto the roundabout from a different entrance and end up in front of them is too horrific to contemplate.

Driving on Danish roads is an eye-opener. If you can safely drive onto a roundabout without causing a car already on it to actively slam on the brakes, then you do so, and the car you end up in front of expects and accepts it. Roundabouts over there aren't traffic bottlenecks the way they are here.

Unfortunately too many here happily drive onto roundabouts completely oblivious to the fact that there is a vehicle coming towards them already on the roundabout. Had to slam my brakes at the Moneen roundabout in Castlebar last week when someone drove onto it in front of me without looking. So I didn't feel like they were picking on me she then quite happily did the same thing on the roundabout at lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Even worse, I had some old guy stop on a roundabout to let me on the other day :eek: Smiled at me as if to show he was being nice.

Unfortunately too many here happily drive onto roundabouts completely oblivious to the fact that there is a vehicle coming towards them already on the roundabout. Had to slam my brakes at the Moneen roundabout in Castlebar last week when someone drove onto it in front of me without looking.
    There's a happy medium between there and waiting until there isn't a car approaching the roundabout for 100m in any direction. It's called competent driving. It's in short supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Definitely has magical properties......:pac:.......:pac:

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    There's a happy medium between there and waiting until there isn't a car approaching the roundabout for 100m in any direction. It's called competent driving. It's in short supply.

I agree, anyone who goes while I am entering the roundabout is not an issue, its the ones who wait until you are exiting nd then cut across you that make my blood boil. And don't get me started on the mini roundabout in Castlebar where everyone just seems to stop at it and see whos going to go first.

finisklin wrote: »
    Definitely has magical properties......:pac:.......:pac:

Damn it, you're right, it was my invisibility cloak that caused it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

they were back this morning rescraping and resurfacing the left hand lane on the N5 coming from westport. the mind boggles. :confused:

irishgeo wrote: »
    they were back this morning rescraping and resurfacing the left hand lane on the N5 coming from westport. the mind boggles. :confused:
    Major traffic disruption with it. It added at least ten minutes to my travel time to Castlebar this morning, and on the way back this afternoon, after at least another ten minutes sitting at the roundabout I gave up and drove home via Islandeady.

Advertisement