Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learn Spanish in Cork

Options
  • 23-02-2011 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

Just wondering does anyone know of any good places to learn spanish
    in Cork. Would be interested in a group setting or one on one!Cheap & cheerful the order of the day por favor!

Gracias

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

My Mother and Uncle both just started learning in Carrigaline Community School at night theres adult education there, if you're willing to travel to Carrigaline for it!

Teacher is meant to be very good, relaxed, upbeat and she's Spanish herself Class isn't too big i think they said only 8 people or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

bagsy wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering does anyone know of any good places to learn spanish
    in Cork. Would be interested in a group setting or one on one!Cheap & cheerful the order of the day por favor!

Gracias

Cork College of Commerce run a night class in Spanish. A colleague of mine who is a Spanish native teaches the course and she's supposed to be very good. I'm doing a different course there and their prices are very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭disco biscuit

There is a Spanish class in the unemployment centre in North Main Street every Tuesday from 11 to 12.30 and it is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bagsy

Thanks for those suggestions folks!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Cork Spanish Circle have been doing them for decades. Enda on 021-4963828 is the one to ring. Think they're fairly cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

If you do choose the one in the cork college of commerce make sure you are getting a class suited to your level, they offer beginner, intermediate and advanced classes, however I started an advanced class 4 weeks ago and they didn't bother dividing the people into the different levels, they just lumped them all into one class. So the poor teacher has to teach absolute beginners who're sitting beside people who can speak really well. It's frustrating for the teacher as she has to try to include everyone in the lesson, for the beginner because they have to work a million times harder, and for the intermediate and advanced because the class can be really boring if you've covered all the material previously. I wouldn't recommend it. But I think it's good advice for any class you find - be sure it suits your level or you'll either be totally lost or very bored. Gluck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Lemon - I signed up for continuation Polish classes in the College of Commerce (I never did the beginners classes, but my level is at least good enough for the continuation classes) but they called me to cancel the classes. They gave me lots of notice, calling at the close of business of the last day they were open before it started. It then took almost a month for me to get my money back because I paid in cash (usually that would make everything quicker!). Had they given me more notice of a probable course cancellation I would have just changed the money over to do a beginners German or Spanish course. I'm quite glad I didn't now.

it really is amazing that they're screwing over both the students and lecturers in the Spanish course like that. An Academic Institutes reputation is everything, and bad word travels and results in difficulty in getting both staff and pupils. Operating like this is not going to be good for C.C.C.

I used to teach English and at one point (when in Slovakia) would travel to different schools for a week at a time to take a class full time, to immerse them in the language. One week I had the joy of a mixed age and ability class. Absolutely exhausting and so much more preparation work has to be done just to teach an OK class in which everyone is involved. You can't give everyone the same tasks when you know some can barely write "My name is X Y and I am Z years old" while others are asking about correct idiom usage, events in English-language TV shows and helping out as a translator for you to the low-level students! Needless to say I was none too pleased about this! Your lecturer is probably having to do 3x the preparation work as well as slogging her guts out in class to do right by her pupils. In her situation would you be rushing back to work for them? I know I wouldn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bagsy

Great help again .

Muchas gracias!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Zaixora

Are there topics here to practice languages? If so, I'll help you! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 taximus

Im looking for private spanish lessons in cork city....can anyone help me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

I got private lessons on Gumtree.ie before. Worked out quite well. She's moved back to Spain now though, so I can't recommend the same tutor to you, but it's a good starting point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 taximus

Muchas Gracias.... I will try that. Can you let me know if anything else crosses your path?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

College of Commerce screwed me over as well before. I remember them promising to call me back several times and having to chase them for weeks with no response until they finally told me a few hours before the class that the course wasn't going ahead.

Advertisement