Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Help with Maths Q

• 23-02-2011 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place to post but This one sum has been doing my head in now for a good 45 minutes.I know it but I don't if that makes sense?!

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } Explain why i[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]³[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] = -1. If [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]w [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]= 3[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]i[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif], show that [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]w[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]³ –[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]+ 9[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]w[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] – 9 = 0[/FONT]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sparagon

Ok well i= root minus one..so i sqaured is minus one
    And for the other just sub in w and multiply it out replacing i squared with minus one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

i^3 isn't -1, it's -i.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sparagon

I never said it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

sparagon wrote: »
    I never said it was.

That was directed at the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Turns out it was a mistake in the book. Should of read i³ = -i

So I have that one sorted but now I'm stuck on.

If x² = 9 Verify x = ± 3

Could you just go
    -3 x -3 = 9
    3 x 3 = 9

Then it goes on if | a + 3i | = 5 find the 2 possible values of a.

I know it's ± 4 but how do I show that?

Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Never mind. Worked it out. I was trying to over think it!

Advertisement