Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

feeding for hungary baby

• 23-02-2011 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

hi all, my son is nearly 7 weeks old and i have been thinking about changing his formula from normal aptamil to the aptamil for hungary babies because at the moment he is drinking around 4oz at each feed and waking nearly every 2 hours!! i tried increasing his feeds from 4 to 5 oz but he has a habit of falling asleep just as his finishing the 4 oz bottle and i cannot keep him awake!! if i changed to the hungary babies formula would this help him sleep a bit longer between feeds????
    has anyone tried this, as i would like to know if there was any problems with doing this like make him sick or anything plus i would like to know if it would help him sleep for longer periods, as i could do with longer than 2 hours to sleep:(:(
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

jackben wrote: »
    hi all, my son is nearly 7 weeks old and i have been thinking about changing his formula from normal aptamil to the aptamil for hungary babies because at the moment he is drinking around 4oz at each feed and waking nearly every 2 hours!! i tried increasing his feeds from 4 to 5 oz but he has a habit of falling asleep just as his finishing the 4 oz bottle and i cannot keep him awake!! if i changed to the hungary babies formula would this help him sleep a bit longer between feeds????
    has anyone tried this, as i would like to know if there was any problems with doing this like make him sick or anything plus i would like to know if it would help him sleep for longer periods, as i could do with longer than 2 hours to sleep:(:(
    thanks

Is there not an Irish version? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Changed to this, as baby was quite hungry and it has worked a treat. He is now even sleeping for 6.5 hours at night time. If you have any doubts, check with your local health centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Our little one was on the normal version of that feed and was taking 4oz early on and was still very cranky. We changed to hungry and she settled down very well. At week 6 she was doing the whole drinking 3oz of the hungry feed and falling asleep for 2hrs and then waking again for more.

We changed to the Cow and Gate normal feed and she's doing just fine on that now. It really is trial and error! Maybe its worth trying the hungry feed to see if it suits better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

My baby woke up every 2-3 for feed until she was 4-5 months old. only slept through the night after she was 1 year. so to me it sounds pretty normal for a 7 week old to want to be fed every 2 -3 hours or so. But there is no harm trying the hungrier baby formula and see how you go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Also - check what teats you are using on the bottles.

We changed from the Tommee Tippee slow flow to the variflow and that had a big impact also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Also - check what teats you are using on the bottles.

We changed from the Tommee Tippee slow flow to the variflow and that had a big impact also.

Yep.. good point. We're on the Dr Brown bottles.. they helped a lot too. Things improved in a big way when we starting burping the boss every 2 oz's on those bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

hi all thanks for your replies... i think i will give it a try cos i know he just loves his bottles and cant get it into his mouth quick enough when his due a feed:),,, he doesnt seem to be having any problems with the teeths at the moment anyway using avent bottles etc and seem to be ok... cheers:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

I would nearly put money on moving up a teat size solving the problem for you. With my little girl she was the same, kept falling asleep on her bottles and looking for anohter one 2 and a half hours later. When I moved up the teats she started taking over 5 oz and lasting longer. I did move her to hungry baby at 14 weeks when she was taking over 40oz a day but that was to keep her going til she was ready for solids.

If he's only taking 4 oz then I wouldn't be rushing to take hungry baby food. Look at how many oz's he is taking in the full day? I used to keep track of her feed times and amounts. Then general rule is that they should be taknig around 2 and a half weight their bodyweight in pounds in oz - so if your baby weighs 10lbs they should be taking around 25oz of food in the whole day.

I wouldn't move him onto it if I were you without trying the bigger teats first, as hungry milk has the same amount of nutrients as regular milk but kind of suppresses baby's appetite (if for example they are looking for way more than they should for their weight). At 7 weeks if he's hungry it's because he is growins so fast that his body needs the food that he is looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Any change in formula, especially changes to hungry baby/comfort/soya etc should be discussed with your PHN or GP.

Try changing your babies nappy when he is done with the 4oz to get the last oz in to him.

All young babies want to sleep and it's not uncommon for a young child to wake every 2-3 for a feed.

Does you baby suck a soother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

4oz is not a lot when my baby was 7 weeks she was drinking between 6/7 oz every 3-4 hours. I changed her over to hungry baby when she was finishing 8oz and wanting more but she had a horrible time got cramps and sore belly.

I however changed teats at around 7 weeks as she was falling asleep and this cut bottle time in half and meant she was able to drink more. Then at 3 months we had to move to size 3 teats on the dr brown bottles. Now at 10 months i had to make a little cut with knife so she could drink her bottles without having to suck much as her teeth are sore.

I'd buy 2 or 3 of the teats and try that before the hungry baby formula.

• Advertisement

hi all, thanks for your replies,i think i will try changing the teats as you reccommended, and see how they go,and i will talk to my GP before changing any feeds, i find he doesnt sleep great during the day could be waking every hour or less,,sleeps bit better at nite every 2 or 3 hours.. ill have to try something so he can sleep a bit better as i find come evenings he gets cranky, ithink because he is over tired. i will try the new teats anyway and see how we get on.,thanks again:):)

oh and yes january, my baby does suck a soother??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

jackben wrote: »
    oh and yes january, my baby does suck a soother??

jackben, I was just going to suggest that if he didn't then he may be waking up looking for something to suck as it comforts them. But if he already does it's unlikely to be that :)

Advertisement