Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rum essence = rum?

Options
  • 23-02-2011 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Planning on making a jerk chicken recipe this weekend that calls for 6tbsp of rum. I don't drink rum, never bought it, have no need for even the smallest bottle less 6tbsp, but perusing my local Dunnes, I spotted 'Rum essence' in with the other baking ingredients. Since I'm not drinking the stuff, I assume that essence would be comparable in taste and texture to a measure of Capt Morgan's? If so, any ideas on how much essence I'd need to substitute for 6tbsp of the real stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

I would not use the essence in this case especially in a savoury dish, get one of the teeny tiny bottles, has just about 6 tablespoons in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yeah, rum essence is concentrated and a bit sweet and sickly, meant for cakes and such. Why not just buy the smallest bottle you can, or even a half bottle (375ml)? It won't go off, and if this recipe you're trying is successful, you'll need to get more of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Yeah, I did wonder since the essence was in with the food colouring and artificial flavourings, but good to know. I'll get the smallest bottle I can get, and like you say Alun, hopefully the recipe will turn out so well, I'll be making it every week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

corblimey wrote: »
    Yeah, I did wonder since the essence was in with the food colouring and artificial flavourings, but good to know. I'll get the smallest bottle I can get, and like you say Alun, hopefully the recipe will turn out so well, I'll be making it every week!

Let me know if you need to use up the rum, I have a fab recipe for chicken tequila fettucine that I always make with rum instead of tequila!

Chicken rum fettucine sounds horrible, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

The Celtic Whiskey Shop on Kildare St. sell miniature bottles of many types of rum, around €5/100ml, which should do as you only need 6 x 15ml = 90ml.

Alternatively, you could get a larger cheap bottle in Lidl or Aldi and use it solely for cooking. Rum aroma is horrible, even in cakes; it has a very distinctive chemical taste that is easily detected and not very pleasant. It's quite popular in central and eastern european baked goods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Don't use a spiced rum like Captain Morgans if you can. Go for a gold or a dark rum, you'll get more flavour. CM's has a lot of crap in it you'll not nessicarily want in your cooking.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Don't use a spiced rum like Captain Morgans if you can. Go for a gold or a dark rum, you'll get more flavour. CM's has a lot of crap in it you'll not nessicarily want in your cooking.

Really? I thought (in my limited knowledge) that CM was the best. Which is why I've got 3/4 of a bottle sitting on my counter now. The jerk sauce came out quite tasty although a bit thick once it had been cooked. I'll certainly try it again, so the rum won't go to waste
    Let me know if you need to use up the rum, I have a fab recipe for chicken tequila fettucine that I always make with rum instead of tequila!

You're right, chicken rum fettucine does sound off, but it tastes good? Please do pass on the recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

corblimey wrote: »
    Really? I thought (in my limited knowledge) that CM was the best. Which is why I've got 3/4 of a bottle sitting on my counter now.

You've fallen into the trap of equating the most popular with the 'best'.
    CM is a 'spiced rum', meaning that it is flavoured with so called spices. It is very vanillaey and artificial tasting - really designed to be drunk with coke.

As mentioned, Aldi and Lidl do inexpensive gold rum, as do Tesco.
    These rums aren't bad at all - perfect for cooking, drinking in coffee or making cocktails with.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭LuckyMe63

Any chance you'd share the recipe?
    I lived in the Caribbean for several years and so miss good 'jerk' food.

Would love the tequila also:)

LuckyMe63 wrote: »
    Any chance you'd share the recipe?
    I lived in the Caribbean for several years and so miss good 'jerk' food.

Would love the tequila also:)

This is the basic recipe I used, it's from Jamie's 30 minute meals (although in my experience, 30 minutes is a little optimistic :)):

http://reciperifle.blogspot.com/2010/11/jamies-jerk-chicken.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Chicken Tequila/Rum Fettucine - serves 4

400g tagliatelle (or any pasta shape, really)
    Large handful fresh coriander, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, crushed
    Half a jar of jalapenos, drained & chopped very finely (a mezza luna is the easiest way to do this)
    1 tbs butter
    250ml chicken stock
    175ml tequila or rum
    Juice of 1 lime
    4 chicken fillets, cubed
    1 each medium red & yellow pepper, sliced
    250ml cream

1. In a small pot, sauté the jalapenos, garlic & coriander in the butter for 4-5 mins. Add the stock, tequila/rum & lime juice and bring to the boil. Cook until reduced to a paste-like consistency, then set aside.

2. In a large wok, sauté the peppers in a little oil until softened. Add the chicken, toss, then add the jalapeno paste and the cream. Mix well, bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is reduced to your preferred consistency. Taste & season if required (I generally add a generous grind of chili flakes, but I have an asbestos mouth).

3. Serve with the pasta.

I know this sounds really, really weird, but believe me, it's absolutely gorgeous.

Advertisement