Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two domains - same site

Options
  • 23-02-2011 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking at a site - let's call it www.example.com - and when I search for the site in search results on google.ie, I also see the same site shows up on another domain - www.example.ie.

I realise that the .com should redirect to the .ie (or vice versa), but in what way does having two domains (both have the same content) affect SEO? Shouldn't the site be penalised for having two domains with duplicate content?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

Newsite wrote: »
    Shouldn't the site be penalised for having two domains with duplicate content?
    Are the two sites identical? Or does the .ie have content tailored and focused for the Irish market?

There are many ways in which having individual ccTLDs for a target market is ideal, but only if it's done correctly. There isn't enough information provided there to make a call either way.

If they simply have two individual domains resolving to the same content (and without canonical tags to handle the canonical version), it is hurting them.

The two sites are spreading the benefits between them, rather than having it consolidated on a single site. Oversimplifying it a little, if you choose to link to the .com version and I link to the .ie then each site is only benefiting from one link rather than the main site getting 2. This will have a direct impact on the trust and popularity of the site(s), so a direct impact on rankings.

In many cases (depending on the query), the duplicate pages will be filtered out of the results, as SEs seek to provide a diversity of results. So having a 'second page' is of little or no value and is simply hurting their overall rankings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Newsite

Are the two sites identical? Or does the .ie have content tailored and focused for the Irish market?

There are many ways in which having individual ccTLDs for a target market is ideal, but only if it's done correctly. There isn't enough information provided there to make a call either way.

If they simply have two individual domains resolving to the same content (and without canonical tags to handle the canonical version), it is hurting them.

The two sites are spreading the benefits between them, rather than having it consolidated on a single site. Oversimplifying it a little, if you choose to link to the .com version and I link to the .ie then each site is only benefiting from one link rather than the main site getting 2. This will have a direct impact on the trust and popularity of the site(s), so a direct impact on rankings.

In many cases (depending on the query), the duplicate pages will be filtered out of the results, as SEs seek to provide a diversity of results. So having a 'second page' is of little or no value and is simply hurting their overall rankings.

Thanks mate, was in a rush posting earlier. The question I really have is - how come the two domains appear in Google at all. I would have thought one of them would have been filtered out by now - the two sites are identical. And also not sure which one would be filtered out, since there are no canonical tags on the site... No difference between them at all in terms of content.

Advertisement