Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this TV good enough for XBOX

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

That tv won't do 1080p
    The best you'll get is 720p
    as far as i know the xbox only really does 720p for most games so you won't be loosing out there.
    tbh it's not the best tv at that price, you should be able to pick up a decent 1080p screen for that.
    I'd ask over on the richersounds forum, those guy's should be able to talk you through a good deal.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1105

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

I like the way they have HD Ready in quotes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

CrinkElite wrote: »
    That tv won't do 1080p
    The best you'll get is 720p
    as far as i know the xbox only really does 720p for most games so you won't be loosing out there.
    tbh it's not the best tv at that price, you should be able to pick up a decent 1080p screen for that.
    I'd ask over on the richersounds forum, those guy's should be able to talk you through a good deal.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1105

The Currys price is terrible, alright , my budget is 300 and pixmania have it for that

I wont be using it for anything but Xbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

From what i recall 720p is better for gaming as it is progressive scan and is better for fast moving images such as video games where as

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

steve_ wrote: »
    From what i recall 720p is better for gaming as it is progressive scan and is better for fast moving images such as video games where as

yeah but 1080p is even better

• Advertisement

steve_ wrote: »

fair enough, but a 1080p telly can do 720p no bother, you may as well spend the extra 50-70 euro on 1080p. I use my tv as a monitor for my pc. I couldn't make do with 720p. All the icons look way too big and you don't have a lot of screen space to work with.

You may not need to use it with a pc now but it's nice to have the option and if you want to upgrade in the future, the resale value will be much greater on a 1080p tv.

the few extra quid is worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

No i agree that 1080p is better but im just talking in relation to the OP's link they posted.

1080p it is then !!

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

What games are 1080p - what difference would it make ? You wont notice anything on a 32". If there is only a little in the price difference then go for 1080p - if you are getting a good deal on a 720p tv, then it will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

voxpop wrote: »
    What games are 1080p - what difference would it make ? You wont notice anything on a 32". If there is only a little in the price difference then go for 1080p - if you are getting a good deal on a 720p tv, then it will be fine.

Fully agree with this. You will notice absolutely no difference between a 720p and 1080p TV given the fact that next to no game is displayed in 1080p on the XBox. Also it is said that you need to be heading towards the 50" mark before you'll notice any type of difference between 720p and 1080p.

I have both a 720p and 1080p TV. The 1080p is better but this is due to the fact that it has a better contrast ratio and response time than the 720p tv. It has nothing to do with the resolution.

• Advertisement

Vyse wrote: »
    Fully agree with this. You will notice absolutely no difference between a 720p and 1080p TV given the fact that next to no game is displayed in 1080p on the XBox. Also it is said that you need to be heading towards the 50" mark before you'll notice any type of difference between 720p and 1080p.

I have both a 720p and 1080p TV. The 1080p is better but this is due to the fact that it has a better contrast ratio and response time than the 720p tv. It has nothing to do with the resolution.

That's fine if all your ever going to use the tv for is xbox.
    I just don't see why you'd limit yourself to that.
    maybe if you had 2 tv's it wouldn't be a problem.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4968063/art/lg/32ld350-lcd-television.html

50 yoyos extra

By the way if you havn't dealt with pixmania before, be careful. they try to tack on a load f extra sh1te when you go to checkout.

That's fine if all your ever going to use the tv for is xbox.
    I just don't see why you'd limit yourself to that.

I think the OP has stated that all he will use it for is the XBox. Plus as I said playing a blu-ray at 720p and playing one at 1080p on a 32" TV will have no discernable difference. If the OP was buying a 50" TV I would recommend 1080p. For a 32" TV I wouldn't bother.

Read the diagnoal size section of the attached article:

http://gadgets.softpedia.com/news/Choosing-Between-1080p-Full-HD-or-720p-HD-Ready-For-Your-HDTV-1075-01.html

I'm siting in front of a 32" 1080p tv right now, trust me when i say there's a huge difference regardless of screen size.

I'm siting in front of a 32" 1080p tv right now, trust me when i say there's a huge difference regardless of screen size.
    Bit of a discussion here 720p vs 1080p

This is like what happens when you go over to the hifi forums and a guy says that he can def. hear the difference after upgrading his speaker cable to the 100e a meter stuff. Mostly he thinks he can hear a difference but in double blind listening test, there is no difference.

In my honest opinion buy the best tv you can afford and ignore the resolution,whether it has 100hz technology or whatever the new buzz words are for selling tvs.

Rubbish

Rubbish

care to expand on that - lol

Well I can't argue with that but I would think that the huge difference you see is due to the fact that your 720p is quite poor.

Anyway, I'm just giving my opinion on this. All I can say to the OP is to google the differences between 720p and 1080p. I think you'll find your answer there.

OP check out the bargain alert thread - what looks like a half decent Sony 32" with 1080p - [Argos]Sony KDL32EX401U 32 Inch Full HD 1080p LCD TV

voxpop wrote: »
    OP check out the bargain alert thread - what looks like a half decent Sony 32" with 1080p - [Argos]Sony KDL32EX401U 32 Inch Full HD 1080p LCD TV

Perfect....Thanks for that

Have reserved one so will check it out in the flesh on Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

One other thing that you should be checking is input lag. Many TVs do clever things with the picture and this takes time, meaning that the picture you see is behind what is being sent to it. If you're looking for a gaming TV then don't pay more for 100hz/motion plus/etc, you'll have them all turned off in game mode anyway.

For watching TV this makes absolutely no difference if you're watching a film 150ms late, for games it can make a huge difference, my last LG TV made music based games pretty much unplayable.
    http://www.lcdtv.net/guide/what-you-should-look-gaming-tv

• Advertisement

pH wrote: »
    One other thing that you should be checking is input lag. Many TVs do clever things with the picture and this takes time, meaning that the picture you see is behind what is being sent to it. If you're looking for a gaming TV then don't pay more for 100hz/motion plus/etc, you'll have them all turned off in game mode anyway.

For watching TV this makes absolutely no difference if you're watching a film 150ms late, for games it can make a huge difference, my last LG TV made music based games pretty much unplayable.
    http://www.lcdtv.net/guide/what-you-should-look-gaming-tv

Good call

This is the one I reserved and its got a 40ms lag so all good

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5296118/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780832%7CTelevisions%7C14419667.htm

Advertisement