Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC Multiscreen

• 23-02-2011 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I'm trying to use the BBC Multiscreen service on BBC red button.

I'm receiving it by DVB-S, and modulating it by COFDM so that I can tune it directly to a TV with the TV's DVB-T tuner.

The red button service is working perfectly apart from the Multiscreen, and as far as I'm aware, modulating it with COFDM should not cause any problems to the transport stream.

When I choose the Multiscreen service it just says "please wait" and does not change from that.

I am aware that Multiscreen is only available on certain platforms such as Sky, and Freesat and have noticed that when I receive BBC from Freeview, there is no "Multiscreen" option when I open the Red button menu.

What I'm wondering is, does anyone know what paramaters are used for this to function correctly? ie; Is there some middleware specifically used in a Sky or Freesat box for this to work, and is missing from the TV?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

MHEG5 middleware is used to pull in the multi-screen service. This is on a different transponder (on satellite) which the TV or STB would re-tune to. On terrestrial it would be possibly on a different mux also, but I'm not sure of the allocations.
    When you say you're modulating the DVB-S service by COFDM, I assume you're taking the (say) BBC1 transponder and re-broadcasting it on a UHF channel under COFDM? In which case you are only carrying the video, audio and teletext/private data streams present on the transponder. In this case the MHEG-5 teletext service on BBC accessible via the red button would work, but once you try and access the multi-screen service you don't have any of the video available for it as it's on a different transponder frequency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Multiscreen uses Freesat EPG info not in the normal transponder. As well as extra video screens.

Freeview Multiscreen doesn't work the same, even though both applications are written in MHEG5. There rarely is Freeview Multiscreen due to space constraints.

Even on satellite Directly, A pure MHEG5 receiver with UK profile that isn't Freesat Model, will only work non-Multiscreen/non-video MHEG5 applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mickko

fat-tony wrote: »
    When you say you're modulating the DVB-S service by COFDM, I assume you're taking the (say) BBC1 transponder and re-broadcasting it on a UHF channel under COFDM?

Yes, I'm taking BBC transponder and re-broadcasting on UHF Ch22, but I do have the ability to add or remove parts of the stream, and add from other transponders if I wish. Therefor I should be able to add the Multiscreen function to the existing stream.

However Watty is suggesting that this will not work unless the television has the correct MHEG5 s/w which is only implemented into a Sky or Freesat receiver, and that there is no possibilty that the TV has this.

Am I correct Watty?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mickko

fat-tony wrote: »
    In this case the MHEG-5 teletext service on BBC accessible via the red button would work, but once you try and access the multi-screen service you don't have any of the video available for it as it's on a different transponder frequency.

Yes, I can confirm that this is correct, and that the text works fine apart from Multiscreen, however, on some TV's, when I open the red button, and when the mini-screen opens, the text crashes and freezes up, and the TV has to be turned off to start it again.

When I source BBC from DVB-T instead of DVB-S, there is no problem. Maybe because there is no multiscreen present in the TS?
    However, I need it from DVB-S.

Could this crashing issue be due to the MHEG s/w in the TV?
    Is it possible to update this on TV?

Please see problem here...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056184088

Sorry if it's a bit long winded :( but I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's not part of MHEG5.

Also Freeview, Freesat and Sky do the Multiscreen integration differently.

You need TWO sets of streams! It gets EPG and MHEG5, caches that info and then changes transponder + stream based on custom info from the non-standard Freesat EPG. Then the MHEG5 application uses the Video stream in normal MHEG5 application manner.

Only a Freesat box can use the Satellilte info, a Freeview Box can only use the Freeview transmission, and non-Freeview/non-Freesat box with MHEG5 will only work with standard DVB epg video information.

Also you need the SW only in Freesat that does all the extra stuff not done by MHEG5. (Like EPG). Sky uses OpenTV. No MHEG5 at all.

It's never been demonstrated to my knowledge outside of a Freesat Box (or Sky Box, but it's totally different anyway).

You'll only get MHEG5 text to work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement