Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to export money?

Options
  • 23-02-2011 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭

I'm moving to Jersey in the next few weeks and want to figure out the best way of brining whatever money I have in my Irish account to my new Jersey account without taking too much of a hit from the banks. Is there any way around the banks getting their hands on a percentage of the exchange?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Depending on the amount and your bank, you may not need to move it at all- many Uk ATMs will accept Irish ATM cards, or keep your irish creidt card and pay with that for things.

If you want/ need to move the money, talk to your bank here and the bank in Jersey you are opening an account with; they can be surprisingly accomodating if you are moving large amounts of money. Keep an eye out for the exchange rate and move the money when it is most advantageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Jersey are supposed to join SEPA soon:
    https://www.barclayswealth.com/public/en-gb/help/individual/sEPADetails.htm

I can transfer upto 10,000 euros from my Dutch Bank account to my Irish account with no fees what so ever.

A SEPA Tranfer should never cost you most than what it would cost for a local transfer.

Just ask the bank :)

Keep your Irish Credit card and just change the address to your Jersey address, theres not a problem on that front. (Tell the bank your going there for a while ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ouchette

Xe.com are handy for that kind of thing. Bit of a faff with the registration and paperwork when I used them before, but better rates than I could get from the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Thanks all for the responses, very useful info so I'll do a bit more digging. Cheers!

Advertisement