Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birthday cake please.

Options
  • 23-02-2011 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I need to get a birthday cake for Friday for a 5 year old girl, any recommendations?? Have bought before in Dunnes, but the cake just gets left there, is this true of all cakes, do kids just not eat them?? She wants one with a character on it like disney princess.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Spadina here on boards does wonderful cakes and would likely make you a delicious beautiful cake that would be eaten all-round!! :)

I never go for shop bought, I bake or buy from handmade. It will taste better, look better, and be the centrepiece of the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I think kids are more inclined to eat a cake they've made themselves so maybe think about making a simple one?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ray269

Alot of kids just dont eat the cake, i work in a kids play center and the fancier the cake the more is left on the table. Tesco chocolate cakes are very good and on the cheap side as well, but they also do the disney cakes, like cinderella barbie for boys ben ten and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not sure if it's the same now but Tesco chocolate catapillar cake is fairly nice.
    But young kids are very happy with a homemade sponge cake which is ridiculously easy to make (and cheap) and you could make a small one or a large on. You can buy cake toppers so you could top the sponge cake with a Disney edible topper have seen the toppers in a few larger supermarkets.

Or just make a plain sponge with jam it'll stay fresh and you could top it with some disney plastic characters which you could probably find in the 2 Euro shop or party section in supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Not sure if it's the same now but Tesco chocolate catapillar cake is fairly nice.
    But young kids are very happy with a homemade sponge cake which is ridiculously easy to make (and cheap) and you could make a small one or a large on. You can buy cake toppers so you could top the sponge cake with a Disney edible topper have seen the toppers in a few larger supermarkets.

Or just make a plain sponge with jam it'll stay fresh and you could top it with some disney plastic characters which you could probably find in the 2 Euro shop or party section in supermarkets.

I agree.

In my experience of kids parties, a chocolate cake like the ones from Tesco or Cadburys is always eaten. The caterpillar one is lovely.

The cakes that you buy with thick icing and a character printed on them are always left behind, because they are not very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Tesco Chocolate Celebration cake is unreal. I love it. Saves alot of hassle aswell. Mum always bakes us deadly looking birthday cakes, but I have a thing for those Tesco birthday cakes!

I always dib the white chocolate balloon! :pac:

Advertisement