Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my Gaggia Baby Dose dead? Help!

Options
  • 23-02-2011 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Help required -

My Gaggia Baby Dose has just stopped working! The only light that remains on is the temperature light - all the other buttons remain unlit and do not function.

I can't imagine what has gone wrong....we were on good terms, I gave her plenty of compliments and daily use.

Any help would be helpful,

Thanks in advance,
    ArcticFox

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭dominiquecruz

Nothing to add except this title scared the bejaysus outta me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Me too. Jesus Christ OP!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

ArcticFox wrote: »
    Help required -

My Gaggia Baby Dose has just stopped working! The only light that remains on is the temperature light - all the other buttons remain unlit and do not function.

I can't imagine what has gone wrong....we were on good terms, I gave her plenty of compliments and daily use.

Any help would be helpful,

Thanks in advance,
    ArcticFox

Kenilworth Electrical are official Irish service agents for Gaggia - give them a shout: http://www.kenilworthelectrical.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Nothing to add except this title scared the bejaysus outta me.

hahaha you're gas.

if someone's baby is dead ( it wont happen to anyone) whats the first thing that pop's up in that person's mind, umm i'll go on boards and ask is my baby dead ? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

if someone's baby is dead ( it wont happen to anyone) whats the first thing that pop's up in that person's mind, umm i'll go on boards and ask is my baby dead ? lol

You'd be surprised.

dBQ2D.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Was just in the parenting forum, came back to the front page and saw this thread title

If you ever have an emergency OP, never mind 999. Log onto boards and we'll sort you out

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ArcticFox

It's a coffee forum! And I had to grab your attention - this is a very serious matter.

Thanks gizmo...will check that out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

it is an unfortunate thread title in fairness

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It's a coffee forum! And I had to grab your attention - this is a very serious matter.

Thanks gizmo...will check that out

:D

Phew, was just scrolling through my subscribed forums and food and drink comes right before Parenting, I clicked even before looking at where it was. I have seen a thread with this very title on another site and it wasn't about a coffee machine, unfortunately.. :(

On the coffee machine, it could be a short or a lose wire. Have you any sparky pals?

No, no sparky pals unfortunately

• Advertisement

Update: I rang House of Fraser (where I bought it in Mar 09) and they told me that they only offer a one year guarantee and that the two year warranty has to be dealt with with the manufacturer directly.
    So I rang Gaggia in Italy and they told me to contact their agent in Ireland: Watermark (gaggia.ie).
    .....so I rang Watermark and they told me that they only deal with products within one year of purchase and that I would have to pay between €50-€60 to have it repaired (plus the cost of any parts).
    So what's with the two year Gaggia warranty if nobody will honour it!?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

This is typical, I have also come across this, ppl that state the 2 year warrenty but do not actually live up to it. Apparently it's an EU directive so I'm not sure it's an actual law that can be enforced. This is a link to the info: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bargains-and-rip-offs/tips-and-guides/article.html?in_article_id=487339&in_page_id=53954&in_advicepage_id. You could probably get back on to Gaggia/Watermark quoating this directive, might be worth a try.

Other than that I had my old Gaggia baby serviced in Kenilworth Electrical so they would probably be able to help although it would cost.

Latest update....after many many more phone calls, all roads led to Kenilworth electrical! (I spoke to a number of people in Philips who directed me there). Who knew that Gaggia is owned by Philips!
    Thanks to Gizmo555 for the initial heads up. I dropped my Baby dose into them on Friday (one day before the end of the two year guarantee) and they are now working on it! Phew.
    I will update further as things progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jezzag

Sorry to ressurrect an old thread but my Baby Dose is currently sitting in the corner of my kitchen looking sad. Its been giving me problems for the last few years on and off (leaking around one of the valves originally. Fixed that myself thankfully via help from the Yahoo Gaggia forum). But now its shorting and not pumping so I think it needs some professional tlc. I'd tried contacting Watermark in the past but tbh their poor communications skills give me little confidence in their repair abilities.

Grateful for your experiences with Kenilworth before I box it up and post it to them.

jezzag wrote: »
    Sorry to ressurrect an old thread but my Baby Dose is currently sitting in the corner of my kitchen looking sad. Its been giving me problems for the last few years on and off (leaking around one of the valves originally. Fixed that myself thankfully via help from the Yahoo Gaggia forum). But now its shorting and not pumping so I think it needs some professional tlc. I'd tried contacting Watermark in the past but tbh their poor communications skills give me little confidence in their repair abilities.

Grateful for your experiences with Kenilworth before I box it up and post it to them.

Highly recommended - professional and genuinely friendly service!

Great. Thanks for that. How much was the service? Did it take long to fix?

jezzag wrote: »
    Great. Thanks for that. How much was the service? Did it take long to fix?

Mine was within the 2 year guarantee period so it was free.

Drop it into them and they'll let you know how much it will cost before they fix it.

Great. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thread given a more appropriate title.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Highly recommended - professional and genuinely friendly service!

+1

They recently repaired my out-of-warranty De Longhi bean-to-cup machine, turning the repair around in two days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Was looking to get a Baby Gaggia soon, are they worth it?

Despite my problems, yes undoubtably if you like good coffee. You'll make better than you can get in 90% of shops with a little practice. Check out youtube and the Yahoo gaggia group.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

I just bought a Gaggia baby dose second hand and have a bit of a problem with it so thought someone in this thread might be able to help. I unscrewed the shower head and metal disk behind it and gave them a clean in just plain water and I cleaned the group head and edges with a cloth. I haven't done more than that yet since i just got it but I have ordered some cafiza cleaner to give it a real clean.
    The problem is that there is a trickle of water coming from above the group head when you run the machine. It is there even when the portafilter is off. When I try to make a coffee it gets worse. I know there is a seal where the shower screen and metal disk are, does it sound like it needs to be replaced? Or does this sound like it is something more serious? Would a service help? Or should I return it as its not in the working order it was supposed to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I just bought a Gaggia baby dose second hand and have a bit of a problem with it so thought someone in this thread might be able to help. I unscrewed the shower head and metal disk behind it and gave them a clean in just plain water and I cleaned the group head and edges with a cloth. I haven't done more than that yet since i just got it but I have ordered some cafiza cleaner to give it a real clean.
    The problem is that there is a trickle of water coming from above the group head when you run the machine. It is there even when the portafilter is off. When I try to make a coffee it gets worse. I know there is a seal where the shower screen and metal disk are, does it sound like it needs to be replaced? Or does this sound like it is something more serious? Would a service help? Or should I return it as its not in the working order it was supposed to be?

Sounds like the seal is gone, its happened mine twice so far.
    I picked up a 9mm seal from http://www.espressoservices.co.uk/gaggia_parts_and_accessories.html
    You just remove the shower screen, remove the group head and remove the seal.
    If its a bit tough to get out, you can screw a small wood screw into the old seal and pull it out with a pliers (make sure to remove the grouphead first, i forgot last time and spend an hour removing it bit by bit).
    Pop in the new seal, put back in the grouphead and shower screen and you should be done.

If you are ordering from there, pickup some Puly Caff and descaling crystals from http://www.espressoservices.co.uk/coffee_machine_cleaner.html too, they'll give your machine a good clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

Many thanks PPC. I'll try that. Makes sense that if the seal is dodgy water could leak there. It still makes coffee so there's not too much wrong with it I hope.

As PPC says, this is a very easy repair. Good luck! Love my Baby Dose and cant wait to get it fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Murtapalooza

Jezzag - did you get back up and running? My GBD is shorting my electricity and Watermark have quoted me €70 for a "general service" but said it may cost more.

How much did it cost you in the end if you don't mind me asking?

Funny you should ask! I got my box down from the attic earlier in the week to send it off finally. I have two young twins to look after at home so hardly have the time to enjoy a coffee at the moment, let alone make it, but I have relatives coming for christmas who demand that its working before they arrive.

Kenilworth quoted me €72-98 for repair, including the new solenoid valve. Will let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Murtapalooza

Thanks for the update. Just one baby here but that also kept the Gaggia in the box for the last year!

What I was offered by Water Mark was:

"A general service including replacing seals & discs normally works out about €70, I have no details on how old the machine is or if it has been serviced before so it’s hard to give an exact price, Normally the above price covers most issues. However if it needs a more expensive part we can take a contact number from you and call you with the quote for same prior to replacing."

Kenilworth would be much handier location wise for me though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

The lads in Kenilworth know their stuff and aren't going to rip you off- I wouldn't have any reservations about leaving your machine in with them for a service.

Advertisement