Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Larry gogan overrated ?

• 23-02-2011 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Dont get me wrong i think he is a very nice man but when was the last time you heard him play something that you wouldnt find on every bargain bin oldies cd ? Also his 60 second quiz is about 25 years past its sell by date.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Tapes wrote: »
    Dont get me wrong i think he is a very nice man but when was the last time you heard him play something that you wouldnt find on every bargain bin oldies cd ? Also his 60 second quiz is about 25 years past its sell by date.

It's the golden hour, innit? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Ahem, golden hour and all that! This thread gets resurected regularly here and on another forum. Personally I think Gogan is a broadcasting God and let's not forget to differentiate between what he's got to play and how he presents it. The man has the tightest links you'll ever here. Just listen carefully some day and report back on what he says. Unlike many of today's jocks, you'll hear no insane drivel or pointless ponderings. There's an old rule of broadcasting which says that if you haven't got something to say, say nothing. Gogan understands this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I'd trust larry's taste in golden oldies tunes before anyone elses to be honest...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I wouldn't be a regular listener to Larry anymore as I gave up on 2FM a long time ago.

But at least you know where you stand with the man.

His format hasn't changed in over 30 years and the listener knows what to expect. He may have been overrated back in the day, but not anymore.

Larry is Larry - What you hear is what you get. No nonsense and no búllshít.

The suggestion that the Just a Minute Quiz is outdated is missing the point. Its a national institution, and any attempt to tamper with it would result in Arab style rioting in the streets and French style burning of cars and buses. :rolleyes:

Larry plays the golden oldies because he is much more comfortable with that than most of the crap that passes for music nowadays. But thats a different debate.

If anything, Larry is underrated compared to many of the prima donnas that grace the airwaves nowadays.

Leave Larry alone. He's a good egg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Some people might say the same of John Peel.........both legends..imo.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

The Golden Hour is generally the only thing that I'd listen to on 2FM, I was disappointed when it was moved from 3pm to 1pm as I like to listen to The News At One and so only hear the last 15 minutes now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Larry's a legend. Always listen to him when I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭JohnDee

Does anyone else think that the 60 sec quiz has been dumbed down to remedial level or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Breoithepaul

He always gave new Irish bands a spin.
    Fair play Larry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

JohnDee wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that the 60 sec quiz has been dumbed down to remedial level or something?

:eek: it's the just a minute quiz. For godsake man get it right.

Seriously though. The questions are probably the same but you've got cleverer as the years have gone by. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭KingEnda

Im in the Larry is a legend bracket
    The just a minute quiz is legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Any self-respecting person in radio in Ireland would be in the Larry is a legend bracket.

So... count me in... Larry is a legend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

JohnDee wrote: »

..."There are no stupid questions...just stupid people"..........:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭cml387

I'ts hard to believe that I used to listen to Larry Gogan playing pop music on Radio Eireann (Saturday Spin) in 1967!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Dub Ste

Btr wrote: »
    Ahem, golden hour and all that! This thread gets resurected regularly here and on another forum. Personally I think Gogan is a broadcasting God and let's not forget to differentiate between what he's got to play and how he presents it. The man has the tightest links you'll ever here. Just listen carefully some day and report back on what he says. Unlike many of today's jocks, you'll hear no insane drivel or pointless ponderings. There's an old rule of broadcasting which says that if you haven't got something to say, say nothing. Gogan understands this.

Spot on,there are quite a few who could do with this attitude...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

cml387 wrote: »
    I'ts hard to believe that I used to listen to Larry Gogan playing pop music on Radio Eireann (Saturday Spin) in 1967!

....when 'golden oldies' consisted of tracks from Vera Lynn and George Formby. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

KingEnda wrote: »
    Im in the Larry is a legend bracket
    The just a minute quiz is legend

Completely agree. He has what a lot of presenters dont have, 'communication skills'. Neither does he try to be funny for the sake of it. He has one of the best radio voices on 2fm, but there again, that wouldn't be hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bureau2009

I think Larry Gogan is VASTLY overated and should have been moved to RTE Radio 1 decades ago. He can read a script but can't ad lib for love nor money.

And the 60 second quiz is light years past its sell-by date. When I hear it I switch off/over.

And what right thinking person gives Marty Whelan or Ronan Collins a radio mic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Interesting post Bureau2009 but speaking as someone who's worked in the biz, I think you're wrong. But please, do enlighten us about your great Irish broadcasting legends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I know plenty of folk who've done the same job since the 60s, no one put them up on a pedestal.

Larry may be a very nice chap, but he's been mediocre forever, has never had a moment of spontaneity, and is a "legend" in some people's minds, purely because he's done what he does for so long, that he is now seemingly above criticism.

He's the most expensive voicetrack in the world, and he's not worthy of comparison with the late great John Peel, a man who always brought something new to the table, and was instrumental in helping to launch what seems like half the bands in Britain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I know plenty of folk who've done the same job since the 60s, no one put them up on a pedestal.

Larry may be a very nice chap, but he's been mediocre forever, has never had a moment of spontaneity, and is a "legend" in some people's minds, purely because he's done what he does for so long, that he is now seemingly above criticism.

He's the most expensive voicetrack in the world, and he's not worthy of comparison with the late great John Peel, a man who always brought something new to the table, and was instrumental in helping to launch what seems like half the bands in Britain.

Seems to be the week when most of the sacred cows of Irish life are getting a beating. :)

The criticism you level at Gogan is one I would level at many radio "personalities" on music orientated stations. Reading out text messages, inane chatter and playing the same tunes. At least Larry comes across as being a genuinely decent and likable chap.

For my money Dave Fanning is a far more important and influential DJ.

I've no complaints with Larry and would be sad to see him go. As has already been mentioned he sticks to the basics, doesn't force opinions down your throat or any other crap.

Regarding the suggestion of moving him to Radio 1, I think he has more a right to be on 2FM than Ryan Tubridy does. Sure he plays music outside the intended age bracket of the station but it's just one hour a day. And why should music be judged by the date it was recorded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Sergeant wrote: »
    Seems to be the week when most of the sacred cows of Irish life are getting a beating. :)

I can't argue with you there!

FTR, I detest the Tony Fentons of this world just as much. Larry may be blandness personified, but that's who he is.

Fenton and others come across as insincere and over enthusiastic. Not to mention the laughable radio voices...

Dave Fanning, love him or hate him, has indeed done a lot more for Irish music.

Advertisement