Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be careful who you give your PC/Laptop to for repair....

Options
  • 23-02-2011 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Friend of mine was having a problem with his laptop where-by it would turn off randomly after random amounts of time.

He brought it to a guy to get fixed. I don't disclose the name of the person but he's based in the Terryland area and is a non-national.

Had it for over a week and finally gave up saying he didn't know what was wrong, despite him being a qualified/experienced yadayada and despite being to 'several meetings with other computer technicians in Galway'

No problem so far, the guy tried his best and failed. He didn't charge for his time so no problem there either, until....

The real problem started when my friend got the laptop back that it would only power on for about 1.5 seconds and then die completely, so worse than when he gave it to this 'repair' guy initially.

I'm having a quiet week so ripped the laptop apart. The person who had it previously managed to crack the casing, round the head on a screw and leave the inside in a mess.

Long story short, I found out what the problem was and laptop is fine now. The first guy clearly didn't have a clue what he was looking for. Initially I thought it was a fried capacitor that would die when it got hot (it didn't turn out to be that in the end)

Just a heads-up to be careful who you give your machines to for fixing (although i'm probably preaching to the wrong crowd here), some of these guys seem to be absolute cowboys as the first guy was totally stumped and suggested my friend throw the laptop in the bin, then handed back the laptop worse than it was when handed in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

There is also a laptop repair outfit, who will also remain nameless, but are based in the Woodquay area of town, who are no better then the guy featured in the post above.

I know of 4 cases (myself included) where these guy's told customers that their laptops were not worth repairing. And were then feed the auld "better put the money towards buying a new laptop".

In these four cases the laptop's owners brought their machine to a different repair shop for a second opinion, and then got them repaired for a minimal cost.

I myself know very little about laptops.
    However where the Woodquay shop professionals failed in fixing my laptop, I succeeded after receiving extremely basic advice on checking the volume for errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭lavaghball

Is this an ad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭BornToBe?

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Friend of mine was having a problem with his laptop where-by it would turn off randomly after random amounts of time.

He brought it to a guy to get fixed. I don't disclose the name of the person but he's based in the Terryland area and is a non-national.

Had it for over a week and finally gave up saying he didn't know what was wrong, despite him being a qualified/experienced yadayada and despite being to 'several meetings with other computer technicians in Galway'

No problem so far, the guy tried his best and failed. He didn't charge for his time so no problem there either, until....

The real problem started when my friend got the laptop back that it would only power on for about 1.5 seconds and then die completely, so worse than when he gave it to this 'repair' guy initially.

I'm having a quiet week so ripped the laptop apart. The person who had it previously managed to crack the casing, round the head on a screw and leave the inside in a mess.

Long story short, I found out what the problem was and laptop is fine now. The first guy clearly didn't have a clue what he was looking for. Initially I thought it was a fried capacitor that would die when it got hot (it didn't turn out to be that in the end)

Just a heads-up to be careful who you give your machines to for fixing (although i'm probably preaching to the wrong crowd here), some of these guys seem to be absolute cowboys as the first guy was totally stumped and suggested my friend throw the laptop in the bin, then handed back the laptop worse than it was when handed in.

:D
    LOL!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

There are cowboys in every industry. Not everyone has access to someone with computer knowledge which is why these kind of things happen. A lot of so called experts just know a little bit more than the average user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

01%20cool%20story%20bro.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Is there anyone/any place that can be safely recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes there are a few threads on Galway places in Computers forum but it is with computers as with cars and mobiles or anything electric
    - if you leave it in with someone they
    a) might not know how to fix it
    b) might not be able to fix it
    c) might actually break something
    d) might fix it

If you have a PC/laptop issue usually the best start is the Computers & Technology forums under Tech.
    The guys there have sorted many an issues out for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

:eek:

Before dropping it out to the guy in Terryland, my friend dropped it down to a certain Laptop repair shop in Woodquay - they simply said that there was nothing they could do (told him instantly thought so at least didn't waste his time)

You couldn't make this stuff up....
    There is also a laptop repair outfit, who will also remain nameless, but are based in the Woodquay area of town, who are no better then the guy featured in the post above.

I know of 4 cases (myself included) where these guy's told customers that their laptops were not worth repairing. And were then feed the auld "better put the money towards buying a new laptop".

In these four cases the laptop's owners brought their machine to a different repair shop for a second opinion, and then got them repaired for a minimal cost.

I myself know very little about laptops.
    However where the Woodquay shop professionals failed in fixing my laptop, I succeeded after receiving extremely basic advice on checking the volume for errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

lavaghball wrote: »
    Is this an ad?

It's an anti add...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Funnily enough I contacted a business in Woodquay not so long ago about fixing my laptop and they told me they were too busy at the time. They gave me the number of a guy in Terryland who fits the description given by JohnCleary and said he was the only person in the town they'd recommend. In the end I went to neither and got someone else to help me.

• Advertisement

Funnily enough I contacted a business in Woodquay not so long ago about fixing my laptop and they told me they were too busy at the time. They gave me the number of a guy in Terryland who fits the description given by JohnCleary and said he was the only person in the town they'd recommend. In the end I went to neither and got someone else to help me.

Yeah they said the same thing to my friend, that's how he ended up out at the guy in Terryland.

Guess they know each other and refer each other then they're busy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

... is a non-national.

tut tut tut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

tut tut tut

Leave dead Egyptian kings out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

tut tut tut

are we allowed say foreigners again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I left a laptop into a guy in Edward Square before Christmas. He fixd in 24 hours and charged €30.

His 'shop' is beside A-Wear; there is usually a sign on the foothpath opposite HMV.

Do I have to declare his nationality? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

just asking ... sick of Windows ... any could tell a easy os two used

has two be easy two uesd please and surf the web aswell

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Try Ubuntu. Its easy to install, looks as good as windows, easy to keep updated, don't need to worry about viruses as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Interesting, I have always been referred to Terryland by the Woodquay lot. I found them very very slow and never ever called when they said they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

extraice wrote: »

thanks

What in Windows are you sick of? Maybe it's something you could just configure?? Ubuntu is an alternative but to be honest I'd be more a fan of Windows myself..up to you of course...actually Fedora is pretty nice too

Interesting, I have always been referred to Terryland by the Woodquay lot. I found them very very slow and never ever called when they said they would.

I wonder how they're still in business going by the feedback in this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

extraice wrote: »

Definitely try Ubuntu:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/

I'm running a class in 091 Labs soon called "Introduction to Linux". Probably in a week or two. We'll be showing you how to install and setup Ubuntu. If you're interested, drop me a PM :)

Definitely try Ubuntu:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/

I'm running a class in 091 Labs soon called "Introduction to Linux". Probably in a week or two. We'll be showing you how to install and setup Ubuntu. If you're interested, drop me a PM :)

I've been following your CompSoc e-mails and have to say fair play to you and the Society; ye have put on a load of really interesting labs. I would have loved to gone to a few myself for refreshers but timing is always bad (I'm manic on Monday's)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I've been following your CompSoc e-mails and have to say fair play to you and the Society; ye have put on a load of really interesting labs. I would have loved to gone to a few myself for refreshers but timing is always bad (I'm manic on Monday's)

Thanks! We wanted to roll with the current Hollywood trend and give CompSoc a "reboot" this academic year, Star Trek 2009-style (which incidentally, we screened back in October). This was based on feedback from people who told me they never went to CompSoc last year because of an over-emphasis on gaming. I'm not a gamer myself, so I knew exactly how they felt. Linux ftw :pac:

Thanks! We wanted to roll with the current Hollywood trend and give CompSoc a "reboot" this academic year, Star Trek 2009-style (which incidentally, we screened back in October). This was based on feedback from people who told me they never went to CompSoc last year because of an over-emphasis on gaming. I'm not a gamer myself, so I knew exactly how they felt. Linux ftw :pac:

I'm not talking about your Star-Trek sh1te :pac:

I'm on about Android app development tutorials, linux tutorials, server tutorials etc.

Down with the gaming/dorky sh1te, and up with the interesting stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I had a similar problem with a Mac but mine was with an approved Mac agent. I ended up threatening to sue them.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ZRelation

I'm not talking about your Star-Trek sh1te :pac:

I'm on about Android app development tutorials, linux tutorials, server tutorials etc.

Down with the gaming/dorky sh1te, and up with the interesting stuff :D
    Ditto....gotta say great job on getting the tutorials going, really wish I had the time in the evenings to get along to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Aero28

There's a company in Barna who are pretty good with laptop and desktop fixing. I've had some problems in the past and they've been pretty quick with fixing them for me. They used to be located in the Crescent in the City but now they work from their home. Computer Troubleshooters is their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

My laptop was dropped into Woodquay and was passed onto the guy in Terryland without my permission. It came back to me slightly better than I gave it to them but not fixed.

MaxFlower wrote: »
    My laptop was dropped into Woodquay and was passed onto the guy in Terryland without my permission. It came back to me slightly better than I gave it to them but not fixed.

Are they the same crowd or what? Or do they just have a little arrangement I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

They're different guys. It's strange, I've only ever had good service from the Woodquay guys. They're extremely nice, gave me cost price kit, and when I had to bring my laptop out to Terryland as they themselves wouldn't handle the taking apart and soldering aspect of it, it was done in two days to my perfect satisfaction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement