Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road bikes and frame warranty

Options
  • 23-02-2011 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if warranty should be a deciding factor for road bikes? For instance, I was told that Cube, Specialized etc are offering lifelong warranty (I think) on their frames, where as the very popular Planet-X seems to be offering just 2 years for their carbon frames.

Thanks for your comments!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If it hasn't cracked in the first year it probably never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

Really? Does that mean frames crack only if there are manufacturing defects, and won't wear out / stress out over years of use? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭vertigo1976

I'd tend to agree with Lumen, if it doesn't break in the first few months then your probably fine. I have experience with composites through my profession and in my experience, older carbon structures don't lose their stiffness over time. In general, carbon fibre has a better fatigue life than steel or aluminium.

I do like the Planet X crash replacement policy though... 50% off for two years if you trash your frame in a crash..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

focus only have 2 year frame warranties as well

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jiffybag

Cube and Ridley will offer a 5yr warranty on manufactures defects on frame and forks. Dont think that they are allowed to claim lifetime warranty anymore . That term is too confusing to the consumer , lifetime warranty applies to the company percived life span of their product.

It is definatley something worth considering when purchasing an expensive peice of carbon! Frames can crack after 3 weeks or 3 years!

The two afore mentioned cpompanies also will do a discounted crash replacement coverage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement