Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A new form of diving?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Disgusting. Worse than diving. He should get a long ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Interesting, very clever :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I just can't help but admire that innovation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Lol, it's like something out of a Harry Enfield skit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

its definitely up there with the headbutt dive for inventiveness.

Is it something to start worrying about, good job joe jordan is a bit tougher than that guy, otherwise the situation in the san siro last week could have been... interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

haha brilliant, he must of lost a bet,

he should copyright that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

It might work at a junior match but when there are half a dozen tv cameras in the stadium you are bound to be caught out. Long ban & fine

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That is seriously funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Remind me of the GAA players that hold onto their markers hands as they're running so it looks like they're getting pulled. Very clever indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

genius.

oh, and it brings back some memories...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,934 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Where's Drogba launching himself over another player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Anyone remember Makelele getting Zikos sent off in the CL semi against Monaco 2004?
    Was one of the worst i've seen. Can't find a clip of it.

Anyone remember Makelele getting Zikos sent off in the CL semi against Monaco 2004?
    Was one of the worst i've seen. Can't find a clip of it.

I think I'll remember Slaven Bilic's dive in the SF of the 1998 World Cup to get Laurent Blanc sent off as the most cynical dive I've ever seen. It was a blatant attempt at getting a player sent off, which worked, and so Blanc missed France's finest hour, what a cnut.

Don't get me wrong, Blanc was not totally innocent, and may well have been sent off without the diving and theatrics, but a WC SF is not the place for gamesmanship imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Haha that was brilliant, you kind of have to admire it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It reminded me of this picture.

Stop-hitting-yourself.gif

It's not exactly the same but it's still funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Por Favor Caroca! Spectaculaarrrrrrrrr!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Anyone else thinking of trying this in their next match!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Gillington wrote: »
    Anyone else thinking of trying this in their next match!?
    No! The shít refs in Ireland wouldn't call something like that even if yer man did elbow ya properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Football is in such a sorry state. It's infuriating that this nonsense hasn't been eradicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

thebhoy wrote: »
    I think I'll remember Slaven Bilic's dive in the SF of the 1998 World Cup to get Laurent Blanc sent off as the most cynical dive I've ever seen. It was a blatant attempt at getting a player sent off, which worked, and so Blanc missed France's finest hour, what a cnut.

Don't get me wrong, Blanc was not totally innocent, and may well have been sent off without the diving and theatrics, but a WC SF is not the place for gamesmanship imo.

It's exactly the place for gamesmanship. Any player would do anything to qualify for a WC Final.
    I'd have done exactly what Billic did, and I'd reckon that regardless of what anyone says, in the heat of the moment they would too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

srfc19 wrote: »
    It's exactly the place for gamesmanship. Any player would do anything to qualify for a WC Final.
    I'd have done exactly what Billic did, and I'd reckon that regardless of what anyone says, in the heat of the moment they would too.

You disgust me. Genuinely.

srfc19 wrote: »

yeah and if i recall lillian thuram made a mistake for croatia to take the lead, and then proceeded to play one of the greatest games of his life to drag france into the final, scoring 2 goals in the process. i think thats how i'd like to behave in a WC SF!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Obviously thats how everyone would like to play. But players take advantage of situations rightly or wrongly.
    Don't get me wrong, I've been playing football for years and I have never dived in my life, but if somebody hits me in the face in a World Cup Semi I'd be down on the deck as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

seadnamac wrote: »

Thats an awfully high horse your on there fella. Genuinely.

Whilst i dont condone diving in any way shape or form, players have ALWAYS tried to gain advantage over their opposite number by any means possible.

Maradonna's "Hand Of God", Joe Jordan handling the ball to win a penalty against Wales, right through to Thierry Henry against Ireland are all examples.

Watch players at set pieces, standing on eachothers toes, whispering in eachothers ears, grabbing the hairs on the back of your opponents legs.

In the 60'70' and 80's football was a much more physical sport than it is now, and "hatchet men" type players used to get away with some brutal challenges, this led to a push to eradicate that side of the game.
    Unfortunately it went too far, and a footballer has more chance of actually winning the decision if he goes down "easy" than being punished for diving.

Footballers will do what they have to do, they always have and always will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Didn't some Rangers defender try and do this with / to John Hartson in a Glasgow derby about 5 years ago?

Ended up with a very sore face and a yellow card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

seadnamac wrote: »

Ballet forum thataway chap --->

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

He's the disgusting by the diving and feigning injury. Surely it would be more a appropriate to direct him to the Rugby forum or similar.

I don't have a problem with the principle of players trying everything to succeed in their sport. It's always going to happen. The problem is when the sport fails to deal with it. Because of the inept governing bodies we all have to have our time wasted by watching grown men writhing around on the ground in agony when nothing has happened to them. Diving and feigning injury should have been dealt with with suitable punishments years ago. We fans are all suffering because it hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

I'm afraid that doesn't make any sense, chap.
    Eirebear wrote: »
    Thats an awfully high horse your on there fella. Genuinely.

Whilst i dont condone diving in any way shape or form, players have ALWAYS tried to gain advantage over their opposite number by any means possible.

Maradonna's "Hand Of God", Joe Jordan handling the ball to win a penalty against Wales, right through to Thierry Henry against Ireland are all examples.

Watch players at set pieces, standing on eachothers toes, whispering in eachothers ears, grabbing the hairs on the back of your opponents legs.

In the 60'70' and 80's football was a much more physical sport than it is now, and "hatchet men" type players used to get away with some brutal challenges, this led to a push to eradicate that side of the game.
    Unfortunately it went too far, and a footballer has more chance of actually winning the decision if he goes down "easy" than being punished for diving.

Footballers will do what they have to do, they always have and always will.

And? What has this got to do with my opinion? I know it happens, top marks for stating the obvious. Doesn't mean I have to like it.
    Pro. F wrote: »
    He's the disgusting by the diving and feigning injury. Surely it would be more a appropriate to direct him to the Rugby forum or similar.

I don't have a problem with the principle of players trying everything to succeed in their sport. It's always going to happen. The problem is when the sport fails to deal with it. Because of the inept governing bodies we all have to have our time wasted by watching grown men writhing around on the ground in agony when nothing has happened to them. Diving and feigning injury should have been dealt with with suitable punishments years ago. We fans are all suffering because it hasn't.

Agreed. Due to the reluctance of those in charge to put a stop to cheating like this, as would be done in any other sport, we are left in a situation where people like the original guy I responded to have been conditioned to accept it as part of the game and to make excuses for it. People claim not to condone it but blatantly are.

Advertisement