Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Irish Govt pushing through 'illegal downloads' changes to copyright law

• 23-02-2011 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,965 ✭✭✭✭

In its final days, the Government is believed to be rushing through a statutory instrument that will amend the existing Copyright Act and which will give judges the power to grant injunctions against ISPs in relation to copyright infringement cases.
    The move is believed to stem from October’s court case between the music industry (Warner, Sony, Universal and EMI) and UPC in which the judge pointed to a key gap in Irish copyright laws.
    Siliconrepublic.com has learned that the Department of Enterprise Trade and Innovation and the Department of Communications have tabled the legislation which is currently in the hands of the parliamentary draftsman with a view to passing it by Friday.
    The legislation is expected to be sanctioned by the present Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Innovation Mary Hanafin TD before Friday.A statutory instrument is secondary legislation – only the Oireachtas can pass primary legislation – and as such is the only way changes can be made to legislation in such a tight timeframe.
    Sources in the digital media industry say the nature in which the legislation is being pushed through could be damaging for Ireland’s image in the eyes of the major internet giants that have located operations here.
    They warn that if the statutory instrument proceeds it could have “major implications for the freedom of the internet in Ireland.” It could also result in ISPs being ordered to implement three strikes and filtering systems.
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/20561-irish-govt-pushing-through

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Hmmm, I wonder how this works.

How can they prove a person was downloading illegally without the 'Software' already installed so people can be monitored. Seeing as it say's the judge and give an injunction against ISP's in copyright case's, NOt sure how they can prove it before hand.

Really don't see how this still stop people from downloading illegally, Record labels(Companies) Really need a good slap in the fact when it comes to actual intelligence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Thor wrote: »
    Hmmm, I wonder how this works.

How can they prove a person was downloading illegally without the 'Software' already installed so people can be monitored. Seeing as it say's the judge and give an injunction against ISP's in copyright case's, NOt sure how they can prove it before hand.
    DC hub or similar with sharing/stealing/hacking in to a account or hook in on a torrent and capture IP addresses.

Nody wrote: »
    DC hub or similar with sharing/stealing/hacking in to a account or hook in on a torrent and capture IP addresses.

Maybe, not sure about the torrents though. You can disable sharing and just download the song, then at that point they will need to proof you didnt already buy the song and are just downloading it to have it has mp3. While is still illegal to share the music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Maybe, not sure about the torrents though. You can disable sharing and just download the song, then at that point they will need to proof you didnt already buy the song and are just downloading it to have it has mp3. While is still illegal to share the music

Once You join the torrent your public ip is visible. They join the torrent, they have permission from the rights olders, they then jot down the ip addresses of all in the swarm

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Once You join the torrent your public ip is visible. They join the torrent, they have permission from the rights olders, they then jot down the ip addresses of all in the swarm

That still doesn't proof that they were downloading it illegaling as if you bought the cd or bought the album online or otherwise then you are allowed to Dowload it anywhere you want as you have the right to do so.

Either way this is never going to have the affect they think it will.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That still doesn't proof that they were downloading it illegaling as if you bought the cd or bought the album online or otherwise then you are allowed to Dowload it anywhere you want as you have the right to do so.

No you don't at least not in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

But to do this they would have to join the torrent too. Therefore they are file-sharing content, thus breaking the law themselves. Evidence cannot be gained by committing a crime.

No you don't at least not in this country.

Really I taught we did.

Still for the the irish government to sacrifice privacy in the hope to stop piracy is shameful at best.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Really I taught we did.

Still for the the irish government to sacrifice privacy in the hope to stop piracy is shameful at best.

In a lot of countries copy an mp3 from a cd to a pc/mp3 player etc. is still copyright infringement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

But to do this they would have to join the torrent too. Therefore they are file-sharing content, thus breaking the law themselves. Evidence cannot be gained by committing a crime.

True, however they are (at least most investigations companys are) doing so with the permission of the rights holder. Therefore no case can be taken against them. Also certain investigation companies seed a fake file in order to catch people out.

One way of avoiding the legality of torrents, at least for music is use one of the many free and legal sources for music, e.g. grooveshark, Pandora (in the US or anywhere with VPN) and spotify etc.

• Advertisement

Xzen wrote: »
    Also certain investigation companies seed a fake file in order to catch people out.

Is that not entrapment? No court would look at that as evidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'm impressed that they've managed to catch on to something only a year or two after it's started to become completely obsolete. Filesharing now is moving towards dropbox style P2P uploads and downloads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I can see sites like TOR becoming a growth industry...

Its should not be up to the record companies to police this. They are not enforcers of the law.

If they think someone is stealing their property then they need to provide evidence to the police and let the police investigate.

Then the police can talk to the ISP's not the record company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You might have the right to download a copy of something you already own, but you certainly don't have to right to upload it to others, which is clear breech of copyright law, and something you'd be doing if using a P2P network.

They have the permission of the copyright holders to do what they're doing, so no crime is being committed, unless of course they're doing something very sneaky and underhanded, in which case a crime may be being committed. If it's simply a case of joining the swarm and farming the IP addresses of those in it, then it's not a crime when they have permission to share the files. Also, what you're talking about is Entrapment, and it doesn't apply in Ireland as we have no such law. Even then, it only applies to law enforcement agents, which would not be involved in copyright infringement monitoring anyway.

Whether this "evidence" would actually stand up in court, or could even be introduced in court, is an unknown, as no one has ever fought such a case in Ireland, AFAIK. Proxys, VPNs, etc can be used to hide what you're doing and your IP, and these render most of what the music industry is doing, and what this legislation is attempting to do, useless.

They own the rights to the material, therefore they're not doing anything wrong

They own the rights to the material, therefore they're not doing anything wrong

This is a interesting one. If file sharing is illegal for copyright content then is anyone who file shares this content breaking the law even if they own the rights to the content?

There would have to be an explicit exception in law for the copyright holders.

Very interesting to see how the law is worded here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

This is a interesting one. If file sharing is illegal for copyright content then is anyone who file shares this content breaking the law even if they own the rights to the content?

There would have to be an explicit exception in law for the copyright holders.

Very interesting to see how the law is worded here?

Please don't be silly. File sharing is not illegal. Distributing copyright information without permission is [and I use this term loosely] illegal.

There are many, many, many uses for legal file sharing.

RangeR wrote: »
    Please don't be silly. File sharing is not illegal. Distributing copyright information without permission is [and I use this term loosely] illegal.

There are many, many, many uses for legal file sharing.

"file sharing for copyright content" is what I said I do believe not file sharing in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭kaahooters

afaik if youy buy a legitimate hard copy of something (cd, dvd, ect ect ect.) your only permitted to create a backup hard copy.

if you buy a song on itunes or any other eretailer and its a software copy, you dont own the copy, you own a licence to that item, so your not entitled to make a backup.

so, pretty much if you own a cd, and download a copy, your breaking the copyright, likewise if you purchase a song of itunes you dont own it, you own a licence to listen to it and not copy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭prioryc

i don't think a government that is not really in power anymore should be allowed pass any legislation at all... Especially when it has other implications ....

" Sources in the digital media industry say the nature in which the legislation is being pushed through could be damaging for Ireland’s image in the eyes of the major internet giants that have located operations here.

They warn that if the statutory instrument proceeds it could have “major implications for the freedom of the internet in Ireland.” It could also result in ISPs being ordered to implement three strikes and filtering systems.

The legislation is being swept through in the middle of election week when politicians are busy canvassing."

(for the record i buy my tracks and buy my pc games too) I just have a feeling sneaky brown envelopes are changing hands on this one.

jor el wrote: »
    You might have the right to download a copy of something you already own, but you certainly don't have to right to upload it to others, which is clear breech of copyright law, and something you'd be doing if using a P2P network.

Yeah, I could have sworn you were able to stop an upload of a file and just download it.

Not sure if thats still a possibility or even ever was for that matter, But if you could then they would have no case.

Although that would probably put an end to p2p by the sense of the meaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭Varik

kaahooters wrote: »
    afaik if youy buy a legitimate hard copy of something (cd, dvd, ect ect ect.) your only permitted to create a backup hard copy.

If there is anything to stop you copying the DVD for example then it's illegal as the security copyrighted content use is legally protected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Get yourselves a seedbox + a decent VPN connection = problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭billyboy01

How many times over the last 5-10 years have we heard this type of guff before! Very expensive and time consuming, not to mention the legal cost and difficulties!

Mac daddy wrote: »
    Get yourselves a seedbox + a decent VPN connection = problem solved.

Or move to Usenet, better quality, easier search, better speeds, no uploading and they never get removed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

Or move to Usenet, better quality, easier search, better speeds, no uploading and they never get removed

Shh, they might be listening ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

you know I really should get up to speed on usenet but I've never been able to find an idiot's guide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

slave1 wrote: »
    you know I really should get up to speed on usenet but I've never been able to find an idiot's guide

Agreed hearing good things, was on rapidshare for 12 months and although it was brilliant I hear its gone a bit downhill.

Sites and services like the above were brilliant for getting your hands on very old games, roms and custom map packs etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Lads,
    Noob question maybe but how can the changes be made in law when there is no-one sitting in the Dail?
    Who is driving the bus?

Advertisement