Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next step after Clomid

Options
  • 23-02-2011 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

hi guys
    i have been on clomid the last 5 months, i have one month left on it. every month when i get my scan there is mature follicles there normally 18mm and 20mm and lots of tiny ones, then i trigger with the ovridrel as directed by my doctor.
    but unfortunely 2 weeks later, along arrives my period:mad: it's so frustrating.
    What next?
    I mean the Clomid is obviously working, because the follicles/eggs are maturing to 18mm each month but im not getting pregnant. would my tubes be blocked? (surely my doctor would have checked this out before putting me on the clomid)

anyone else been in the same situation as me? whats the next step after clomid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I'm not sure whats next as I'm only due to start Clomid soon. But by any chance did your GP get you to have an Ultrasound prior to prescribing clomid?
    If not it might be worth getting one done, as it should show up any blockages etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭boarduser1980

I'm not sure whats next as I'm only due to start Clomid soon. But by any chance did your GP get you to have an Ultrasound prior to prescribing clomid?
    If not it might be worth getting one done, as it should show up any blockages etc
    No, the only ultrasound i got was the one in st james hospital that diagnosed me with PCOS, once them results came through, my GP referred me to fertility clinic (as i wasnt getting my periods and she didnt know what to do)
    when i attended fertility clinic they didnt do a scan, as they went by the scan from st james hospital (this was only a scan on my ovaries and uterus). they put me straight on clomid and each month i'm been scanned.

i did mention to the nurse two months ago taht its strange that i've had mature follicles each month and am using the ovridrel injection and im still not pregnant, and would there be a chance my tubes blocked, she said to me 'well the doctor tries the clomid with you first and after 6 months if it hasnt worked, he will check your tubes'

i found this strange, because it makes more sense to check your tubes before fertility treatment. if i had of thought of this at the start i would have asked. we are all Naive at the start of these treatments though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Dambant wrote: »
    i did mention to the nurse two months ago taht its strange that i've had mature follicles each month and am using the ovridrel injection and im still not pregnant, and would there be a chance my tubes blocked, she said to me 'well the doctor tries the clomid with you first and after 6 months if it hasnt worked, he will check your tubes'

i found this strange, because it makes more sense to check your tubes before fertility treatment. if i had of thought of this at the start i would have asked. we are all Naive at the start of these treatments though

That is strange, its not like checking your tubes is going to adversely affect treatment. I thought they'd have preferred to do that than medication first.

It might be no harm pushing the issue of getting your tubes checked with your gp, if nothing else then for reassurance.

I hope you get your positive result soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I would definitely get tubes checked. Also, did your husband do a semen analysis? If tubes ok and SA ok or at least semi-ok, IUI would be next (gave us twins third go round!), probably again witth Clomid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭boarduser1980

silja wrote: »
    I would definitely get tubes checked. Also, did your husband do a semen analysis? If tubes ok and SA ok or at least semi-ok, IUI would be next (gave us twins third go round!), probably again witth Clomid.
    hi , yes the hubby got the semen analysis and it was perfect. If my next route is IUI, do i have to contuine on the clomid? the reason i ask is because ive been told more than 6 months on clomid is bad for your body. ive been on it 5 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

They may have you take a break first, it will depend on the clinic (we went straight to IUI, so I am not sure on this). In the Merrion Clinic, we did month on/ month off. If you don't want to continue Clomid, you can ask your doctor about injectibles, but as they tend to work stronger, and Clomid already gives you one good sized egg, they may not want to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

hi there, I have read a good few times that Clomid is not great for people with PCOS. Apparently Femara is much better.
    Hang in there - I just got my positive test today, on my 6th and last cycle of Clomid. If it helps, the thing I did differently this month was after sex whilst lying in bed I tilted my bum upwards (put a pillow underneath) and slightly to the right, as I knew I was ovulating on the right. I stayed in this position for about 20 mins. Not sure if that made any difference - who knows. Normally I tilt back.

Like you, I was very frustrated when my period would arrive after each Clomid cycle, I know exactly how your feel. Sending hugs and babydust in your direction ;)
    best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mouse72

Hi....I've just started fertility treatment too, but I think its very strange you havent had your tubes checked first? My first visit to consultant in Jan consisted of the usual list of questions, (we already had blood tests done before we saw him), then I had a couple more blood tests taken that day, and before he would do anything else, he referred me for whats called a HSG x-ray to see if there was a problem with my tubes. He said there is no point doing anything until this is checked. It seems strange that a doctor would put you on clomid without checking this. I know they all have different protocol but as you guys are saying this is the obvious thing to check first.

Even after having this done, (it was all clear thank goodness, partners semen analysis normal too) he is now checking day 21 bloods before he starts me on Clomid, the plan is once he has the results of the day 21's, he'll start me on clomid on April 18th, so he's definitely checking lots of stuff before he starts me on it. Ask your doctor again, you need to get the obvious cleared up first. Scans wont show whether your tubes are blocked or not, the HSG uses a dye the flows into the tubes and then the doctor and radiologist doing the test check to see it flows back out where it should......I hope this is some help to you, its a cr@p situation to be in with something we all like to think would happen naturally!! Best of luck to all xxxx

Advertisement