Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish Carpenter

• 23-02-2011 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭

has anybody here got the polish carpenter that advertises in the waterford today to do work for them in there house. I have enquired about getting work done by local people but the prices are ridiculous. Any info would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

or if u know anybody that would do a really good job for a good price...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

What type of job is it?

Skirting boards?
    Roofing?
    Fence?

some doors, skirting , floors and a small kitchen to tile

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

tankbarry wrote: »
    some doors, skirting , floors and a small kitchen to tile

do it urself ya lazy git :p

i cant cut wood properly otherwise I would :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

Beware of polish tradespeople, as regards proper insurance and c2
    very Easily Could end up costing treble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Beware of...

Allow me to rephrase that.

Beware of uninsured tradespeople. Very easily could end up costing treble.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

I´ve only ever had positive experiences with Polish tradespeople .... unfortunately can´t say the same about Irish ones ........... although in the main they are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

:)hope that was in a trades sense...

anyway had few polish painters over to do a quote on house, the ones with all the adds splattered across the classifieds in wtoday , asked for insurance and they disappered in a flash .....

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

Tons of local lads outa work....give it to one of them....ever hear of any of our newest residents looking for a Waterford person to work for them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

support your own !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

I bought Tyres recently from a Non Waterford guy who shall remain nameless,
    They cost me €30 less than if i'd bought them from Hanover
    On the day i felt i'd got a bargain but on reflection i've felt guilty and in future will go back to the local guys who have more overheads,taxes etc
    I can't complain about our young guys having to get the boat if this is what i do.
    I've resolved that in future i'm going to get the best deal a local guy will give me on any work i have to give and if that means a few extra quid well so be it.
    It makes me sick to hear all these small businesses on saying that we should support them and when you go in there's not a Waterford accent to be heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭twitch1984

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Scaldy Ned wrote: »
    On the day i felt i'd got a bargain but on reflection i've felt guilty and in future will go back to the local guys who have more overheads,taxes etc
    I can't complain about our young guys having to get the boat if this is what i do.
    I've resolved that in future i'm going to get the best deal a local guy will give me on any work i have to give and if that means a few extra quid well so be it.
    It makes me sick to hear all these small businesses on saying that we should support them and when you go in there's not a Waterford accent to be heard.

What you say is very correct from a perspective...BUT...if same product/service costs my family budget less,why to "advertise" myself as proud to be local when is actually a way of ripping off people !??
    Went for car servicing,local garage €300 , a 'friend' with a local garage half the price !! Do i care about supporting local small business !???
    NO fcuking way...i look at my own pocket !!

"Paddy's tax" is long gon€€€€...now i'm getting two-three quotes before bringing the car in their garage.I pressume sam eapplies to other BUT not places or services that you'll think insurance needs to be looked at...For example,i needed to change the brake lines on a car.My friend said to go to the garage just in case something goes wrong with the car later on.For this privilege / advantage ,i have to pay e100 more at a 150e job.Makes sense ??

Good luck.

So what happens if them tyres explode and write off the car or worse, where's the comback ,somewher in kraickoff??? Least a local garage would. B covered....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

What is wrong with you people? Not origins but insurance!

A garage in Tramore owned by (1.)a chap of Polish origins, (2.)VAT registered, (3.)fully insured, (4.)paying taxes. That is what I know and where I service my car at. Supporting local business and getting the best for the money paid.

A Polish restaurant in the city, opened like six months ago. VAT, insurance, whatever is required to run a restaurant... And a few other REGISTERED businesses I know of.

As to a handyman with no insurance - I am cautious. But also I am vary of my pockets.

REGISTERED business is a local business no matter what origin the owner is - Italian chipper, Chinese takeaway, Polish beautician, Turkish barber.

Registered + insured + supporting local economy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Scaldy Ned wrote: »

can you PM me the foreign guy you got the cheap tyres off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

beazee wrote: »
    What is wrong with you people? Not origins but insurance!

A garage in Tramore owned by (1.)a chap of Polish origins, (2.)VAT registered, (3.)fully insured, (4.)paying taxes. That is what I know and where I service my car at. Supporting local business and getting the best for the money paid.

A Polish restaurant in the city, opened like six months ago. VAT, insurance, whatever is required to run a restaurant... And a few other REGISTERED businesses I know of.

As to a handyman with no insurance - I am cautious. But also I am vary of my pockets.

REGISTERED business is a local business no matter what origin the owner is - Italian chipper, Chinese takeaway, Polish beautician, Turkish barber.

Registered + insured + supporting local economy

exactly,

subliminal racism is a terrible thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

Duh!
    ,this thread is about carpenters not dodgy polish car tyre sellers or food places...
    Fact is their lower prices reflect not having over heads like insurance,vat etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

i disagree. any polish trade people i know are here for the long haul and are fully aware of their responcibilites. But i dont know that carpenter and i get my tires in bridge st for the best price in the south east.

• Advertisement

My experience says they're undercoating the locals with various tricks....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Hoffmans wrote: »
    My experience says they're undercoating the locals with various tricks....

Undercoating? That'd be the painters anyway

Advertisement