Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Buying a motorhome

• 23-02-2011 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking to buy my first camper and just have a few questions if anyone can help. Hoping that I can get a good deal now, hold it for a couple of years and then sell it on at not too much of a loss. Will only really be used for festivals (but I just cant stick camping any more!).

1. These are the 3 I am looking at. I love the layout of the A Class. Is it normal for these to be a bit more than coachbuilt? Will they hold their value a bit better?
    http://www.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/campers/1702370
    http://www.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/campers/1836576
    http://www.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/campers/1875691

2. I know the German brands are generally considered superior. How would you rate Dethleffs? Would they be right up there with Hymer?

3. I am undecided as whether to get a professional inspection by a motorhome expert (been quoted €450 - so i would say I have decided not to go this route... ha) or just get a mechanic inspection of the engine only or to just take a chance and get it serviced afterwards.

Any other tips or advice would really be appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

i would think there is better value for money at the moment in a coachbuilt
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/campers/1681010
    this is just a suggestion
    you have rhd
    and are up to 2001
    there are loads similar out there
    i also think that it may be worth paying someone in the know to inspect a potential purchase
    look at as many as you can
    plenty of dealers out there
    aidan mm from here would be well worth a call
    http://www.pathoranmotors.com/
    i know an a class is your preference
    best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Linoge wrote: »
    I love the layout of the A Class. Is it normal for these to be a bit more than coachbuilt? Will they hold their value a bit better?

A class - type motorhomes are much dearer to buy new, so that filters down to second hand prices as well. In relative terms they hold their value just as well (or bad) as any other motorhome, they just start off at a different level.

One thing to keep in mind when considering an older A class is that any work on the engine will be a pig due to usually pretty poor access. Finding a mechanic that will a) touch it at all and b) not grossly overcharge for doing so may be difficult. Be prepared for much sucking in of air with simultaneous shaking of heads :D
    Also, any accidental damage to the front end will be much dearer (if not impossible) to repair as you are denting bespoke motorhome, not just some easily replaceable sheet metal that can be got at any scrapyard. The same goes for windscreens.

On the other hand ...the layout while driving and living in it is a bit special alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I personally wouldn't have an older A'class.. they just don't have the structural integrity of one with an original Cab , and tend to rattle and squeak a bit more.
    Roughly speaking what is your budget?
    Are you any way mechanically minded?

Of the ones you posted , there's not a lot to choose between them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Thanks for all the advice so far. A lot to consume and think about!

At Meercat - thanks for that link! Will defo go take a look. don't know how I missed it, been looking non stop at campers for last 3 months!

@ Peasant - access to engine wouldn't even have something that would cross my mind. I won't be using this much at all so I need to keep my costs down to justify keeping it.

@ Aidan - I just know the very basics about engines. I'd defo have to get a mechanic to look at anything I want to buy.

Of the ones I've posted I am seriously considering the 3rd one - in Carlow. I've viewed it and liked it. No smell of dampness, very clean and seller seems very genuine. Knows his stuff and even gave me tips for what to look for when looking at other campers.

As for budget, it is about 12k but I could go more if there was some amazing value to be had. What's restricting me more than budget is the depreciation factor - I don't want to have to sell it in 2 years time and lose a lot on it. My thinking is that around that price I can still get something decent with most of the depreciation gone). I really prob will only use it 3 times a year. I was thinking of going for something really low end like 2 or 3k home conversion but was thinking Id just have all the annual costs without any kind of luxury or much enjoyment out of it.

Trying my best to find value but it is hard for someone who doesn't know much about campers (but trying!). I don't know how that 01 Elddis in Meercats link can be the same price as a 95 Hymer in some cases!:confused:

Thanks for all the help so far!:)

Just 'cos you can't smell dampness , doesn't mean it's not there... I had a substantial repair job on a 2006 one last week , no damage to the body , just a leak that wasnever spotted , and without the damp meter , I'd have not spotted it.... when I took out the window and skylight then , the timber was sopping inside!

Re anything pre '97 ish , DOE or not , the brake pipes rot , the inner wings too and lower end of the chassis leg , the brake cylinders weep , on a 95- the rad support/crossmember rots , and the stat for the Cabin fan speed goes .

Also insist on seeing the boiler/heater lit , from cold , if it's a private sale , with no comeback , and the fridge on gas too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

When you talk about anything pre 97sih faults wise, are you referring to A Class machines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

On the A CLass side of things.......just make sure that you have seat belting in the back.....the few older ones that I looked at didnt have any :(

To be fair, that is probably the same for all of the "older" vehicles out there

You may not need the belts as you may not be travelling with others but from aretail point of veiw....in a few years time you might just be restricting your target audience?

I have contacted Bridge Motorhomes in Kilkenny to do an inspection for me - they are just down the road from camper. The seller also has offered to bring a damp meter and go through absolutely everything on it - to check it is working and to show me how it works.

There are 2 seat belts on forward facing seats in the back and I've been told that back facing seats dont need seat belts. And very true about reduced audience for selling on!

Thanks for all of this everyone. Its helping me a lot!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

With legislation to require 'motor caravans' to be roadworthiness tested immanent, keep two things in mind.
    Don't get stuck with a wreck which will fail and cost a huge sum to get right
    AND
    A lot of motor caravans are on the road at weights in excess of their Maximum Allowable Weight, and particularly with their rear axle overweight, when loaded up with all 'necessary' kit. Such examples will fail the test if found to be over weight and/or result in a Garda prosecution if subjected to a roadside weight check.

When you talk about anything pre 97sih faults wise, are you referring to A Class machines?

Gosh no , Just Ducatos in general . Don't get me wrong , I love them , I wouldn't have anything else pre 2006 apart from a Fiat , we're actually Fiat nuts at home , Dad served his time on them , tuned them , raced and rallies them etc , but they do have certain characteristics that need looking at .

The crossmember issue and brake pipes is something I've banged on about here a lot , but I've seen a worrying amount over the last couple of years with serious rust on the chassis legs ,in particulr the RHS , down under the battery .

• Advertisement

I decided not to go with an A class. Thanks to the good advice above I think I made the right decision. Had a ring around and asked how much for a timing belt change - quoted between 500 and 850. This compared to 250 for a coach built - no contest really.

I got an inspection done on the one in Carlow that i was going to see. Guy picked out about €1,000 worth of work needed to be done. best money I ever spent!

Decided to up my spend a bit and get something that would not need any work. Probably around the 18-20k mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

I decided not to go with an A class. Thanks to the good advice above I think I made the right decision. Had a ring around and asked how much for a timing belt change - quoted between 500 and 850. This compared to 250 for a coach built - no contest really.

I got an inspection done on the one in Carlow that i was going to see. Guy picked out about €1,000 worth of work needed to be done. best money I ever spent!

Decided to up my spend a bit and get something that would not need any work. Probably around the 18-20k mark.

I upped my spend from 10k to 35.:eek: It's easy to get carried away.:D

feckin lunacy! I've done timing belts on a helluva lot of A class MHs.. and while often more awkward , never twice as hard!

I didnt get too carried away thank god!

Bought a Rotec almost exactly like this

http://www.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/campers/1871809

I'm glad I went up the money and got something decent. I think if I had went with that A Class i was originally looked at i would have had no end of trouble and not got the enjoyment out of it.

I'm in the gang now, yah! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

I'm in the gang now, yah! :pac:

Your not in the "gang" just yet.....ya have to head off on your first trip and report back ;)

Congrats and enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Congrats Linoge,
    May you and yours have many happy years touring this beautiful country of ours and beyond.
    Dont forget to wave at us all.

Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

congratulations and safe travels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Adventurer10

Hi, I'm looking into buying my first camper and hoping to get some advice from the experienced :)

Looking at second hand van conversions but don't really know where to start looking.

Plan to use it most weekends during the summer, going to adventure races, surfing and maybe a festival.

I got a motorhome magazine with a buyers guide and got a few tips from there, like the layout of the new adria twin SL with 2 singles in rear and option of making a third single our of dining area. Is there any other makes with similar layout? Any recommendation on good dealers?

PM sending to you... there is only one Adria dealer for motorhomes in the 26 counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Wonder who that is............:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Hi, I'm looking into buying my first camper and hoping to get some advice from the experienced :)

Looking at second hand van conversions but don't really know where to start looking.

Plan to use it most weekends during the summer, going to adventure races, surfing and maybe a festival.

I got a motorhome magazine with a buyers guide and got a few tips from there, like the layout of the new adria twin SL with 2 singles in rear and option of making a third single our of dining area. Is there any other makes with similar layout? Any recommendation on good dealers?

It would be a good idea to go to Donagheys open day,you will see several MH.s.. with all sort of layouts and prices. and have a good weekend also.
    Could recommend The Station House Hotel very good and very reasonable,we stayed there two weeks ago.

Donaghey Motorhomes Open Weekend
    Hi all, just to let you all know that we are holding our Gala Open Weekend this year again and everyone is welcome. The dates are 15th, 16th & 17th April. There will be entertainment during the day and night including rodeo bulls, bouncy castles, sumo wrestling, horse shoe throwing, bingo and tractor reversing. Food will be provided and there will also be music on both Friday and Saturday night.

Everyone is welcome, even if you don't own a camper!

Advertisement