Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why should I upgrade my amps speakers?

• 23-02-2011 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

I am no audiophile but I enjoy my surround sound.

I've a 6.1 Sony HTT DW890 amp. I am currently using the speakers that came with it in a small enough sitting room and am relatively happy with the sound. However, I've been eyeing up a pair of B&W speakers (second hand, EUR100) to replace my front left and right speakers.

Is there any point in getting better speakers considering a) it's a small sitting room and I never really have the system on that loud b) I'm not convinced I am really going to notice a big difference in sound quality by getting better speakers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

The only way you'll know the answer to the should I upgrade question is to listen to some upgraded components in a shop or in someone else's setup.

That way you can hear for yourself if the upgrades match your expectation for the price that it would cost you to buy said components. If you are happy with your setup then that's fine - no need to upgrade. If you think there is room for improvement, what do you think is lacking in your current setup. Sound quality - High timbres? Low bass? Sound Image placement? etc. etc.

What model B&W's are you looking at? Your amp should accommodate most speakers rated @8 ohm but there are always upgrade possibilities. What I mean is, upgrades cost money, and what cost you are willing to outlay is a lot different from what I'm willing to outlay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I am lOoking at getting a pair of b&w303s for the front channels. Don't think my current speakeras are too bad but am curious about better ones.

Advertisement