Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brunch/ Lunch in Killiney

Options
  • 23-02-2011 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've never been to Killiney and I'm planning a trip out for a walk on saturday. Anyone know a nice place to get brunch/ lunch? Somewhere along the lines of Gruel- casual, good value but nice food!

Thanks for tips!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Killiney is a state of mind.

You'd be better off going to Dalkey, loads of choice for places to eat there.

All that's in Killiney Village is one pub, the Druids Chair and a little shop beside it. The rest of Killiney is in Ballybrack, Glenageary or Dalkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Good answer above.

Depends if you comign on dart, bus or car.

Killiney Village has the 1 pub, Ballybrack Village has 2(although dont even go near the Ramblers Rest) and if you mean the 'far' side of Killiney then there is the Graduate.

But yea best option is just to go to Dalkey far more options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

There's always Fitzpatricks hotel, not cheap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

And is Dalkey good for a nice, long seaside walk? Not too bothered about where we go- just looking a nice, seaside walk and a nice lunch. I know Killiney Hill is good for a ramble and nice views...

Oh and I'll be on the Dart!

CBFi wrote: »
    And is Dalkey good for a nice, long seaside walk? Not too bothered about where we go- just looking a nice, seaside walk and a nice lunch. I know Killiney Hill is good for a ramble and nice views...

Oh and I'll be on the Dart!

Here is an epic walk I have done a few years back.. get the Train to Bray and get off(duh) and walk along the beach/coastal cliffsides all the way to Killiney then get Dart from Killiney 3 mins to Dalkey and a 1min walk into Dalkey centre.

Now of course you can only do this once the tide is out and be careful of walking when it gets to patches of washed up rocks. If you do make sure to time it well but its a really good walk aswell as a nice distance, you can always do it in reverse if you like Killiney to Bray, eat in Bray then head back off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

How long would that take in total skywalker? Sounds fun- i did something similar on the Aran Islands once taking pics and it was class!

Gonna sound blonde but how do I find out what times the tide will be out so I can time it right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Not the best of walks. The "beach" has little or no sand, is all rocks and stone and not a comfortable walk at all. You can dart to Shankill and walk along the cliff top onto Killiney Beach (sandy) and then walk the Vico Road into Dalkey, I'd recommend Country Bake for snacks / light lunch in Dalkey but there are loads more places to eat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

OP go to Dalkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Train to sandycove, stroll along the sea front, past the 40 and Joyce tower (maybe POP in for a visit?) Walk into Dalkey up harbour road past Bulloch harbour (check for seals) stop for lunch in Dalkey then head off past Coliemore harbour, up the hill opposite Sorrento terrace to get the view in, then walk down Vico road, past Bono's gaff to Killiney station.

CBFi wrote: »
    How long would that take in total skywalker? Sounds fun- i did something similar on the Aran Islands once taking pics and it was class!

Gonna sound blonde but how do I find out what times the tide will be out so I can time it right?
    trad wrote: »
    Not the best of walks. The "beach" has little or no sand, is all rocks and stone and not a comfortable walk at all. You can dart to Shankill and walk along the cliff top onto Killiney Beach (sandy) and then walk the Vico Road into Dalkey, I'd recommend Country Bake for snacks / light lunch in Dalkey but there are loads more places to eat.

Not to sure think it took about an hour.
    Its not a traditional walk ill give you that and its also nto a flat even walk but it is an interesting and quiet undisturbed walk along the coastline. You can double back uptp the cliff top to chill for a view from there.

Just on a side, I actually fell off one of them clilffs about 8 years ago when I was about 15/16 I was cycling up where the ruins are and got pretty close to the edge, hit a dip i nthe ground and the bike swung up and out over the edge and I fell. Landed about 5inches away fro ma trolely that was on the beach and the bike landed about 5 inches the other side of me. I didnt break anybones just scratches and the luckiest escape of my life. Feel really wierd looking at that cliff nwo as its actaully larger than I remember. Someday ill appreciate how I survived without a scratch haha

• Advertisement
Advertisement