Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inter -vs- Bayern Munich Champions League last XVI 19.45

• 23-02-2011 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭

[Embedded Image Removed] vs [Embedded Image Removed]

Huge match, tie of the week no doubt, arguably tie of the round but for Barca-Arsenal. As we all know it's a repeat of the final last year. However, it seems that both teams have regressed somewhat from last year. Rafa Benitez did them no favours but under Leonardo they have improved significantly. Bayern haven't exactly set the world alight either, they are currently 15 points behind Bayer Leverkusen in the Bundesliga, however their European form has been somewhat impressive.

Some key facts:
    Samuel Eto’o has scored seven goals from just 10 shots on target in the Champions League.
    Mario Gomez has scored six goals from just eight shots on target.
    Inter met Bayern in the 2010 Champions League final, with the Italian side winning 2-0.
    Bayern have won both of their European matches against Inter at the San Siro.
    The five meetings between Bayern and Inter have seen two wins apiece, one draw and both sides scoring six goals in total.
    Inter are unbeaten in their last 10 Champions League games at San Siro, winning the last seven in a row.
    Inter have only won two of their last eight Champions League matches against German opposition.
    Bayern have won seven and lost two of their last nine Champions League games, but the two defeats were against Italian sides.
    Bayern have only won two out of 10 Champions league away games against Italian sides.
    Only Arsenal and Tottneham Hotspur scored more goals than Bayern in the Group Stage.
    Bayern’s last three Champions League defeats away from home have all been by a 2-3 scoreline.

Inter expected line-up;
    Caesar
    Maicon
    Ranocchia
    Lucio
    Chivu
    Motta
    Cambiasso
    Zanetti
    Sneijder
    Skanovic
    Eto'o

Bayern expected line-up;
    T. Kraft
    P. Lahm
    Timoshchuk
    H. Badstuber
    Luiz Gustavo
    D. Pranjic
    B. Schweinsteiger
    A. Robben
    T. Müller
    F. Ribéry
    M. Gomez

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Should be a decent game, Ill be watching this instead of Utd,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Should be a fine game. Watched the Bayern-Mainz during the weekend. Bayern played well against a good team. Kraft was taken off at half time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'll be watching this, it should be a good game.

1-1 or 1-2 to Bayern IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

We should see plenty of goals in this match, both teams have dodgy defending but with great attackers

Im a Utd fan and should be watching the utd match but this game should be a great spectacle and I maybe watching this more than the utd match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Will watch this instead of United.

3-1 Bayern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Should be a good game, hopefully it will be a bit better than last years game. I will be flicking between both matches i reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

THFC wrote: »
    [Embedded Image Removed] vs [Embedded Image Removed]
    Samuel Eto’o has scored seven goals from just 10 shots on target in the Champions League.
    Mario Gomez has scored six goals from just eight shots on target.

AMAZING stat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,397 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Should be a great game. Bayern had a terrible start to the season but apart from the odd hiccup have been playing well recently.

Gomez has 7 goals in Bayern's 7 games since the break and I think he will have a big game tonight.

2-2 Sneijder, Eto and Gomez x2.

Gomez 16/1 to score 2 or more will get €3 from me :)
    they are currently 15 points behind Bayer Leverkusen in the Bundesliga,

Big typo, 3 points behind :D. Unless you meant to say Dortmund in which case they're 13 pts behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

eZe^ wrote: »
    AMAZING stat.
    ah, doesn't give their off target shots ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Big typo, 3 points behind :D. Unless you meant to say Dortmund in which case they're 13 pts behind them.
    Whoops:eek:!! Knew they weren't top, did a quick google search and must of misread the table!

Anyways, my predictions, I reckon Inter could surprise everyone here and beat Bayern by 2. I think MVB is a huge loss to Bayern and I don't know how they're going to cope with Inter's attack. Then again I could he way off the mark with this, Bayern have done nothing but surprise me the last season and a half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Line ups are:

Inter: Julio Cesar; Maicon, Ranocchia, Lucio, Chivu; Zanetti, Cambiasso, Thiago Motta; Sneijder, Stankovic; Eto’o
    Inter bench: Castellazzi, Kharja, Mariga, Materazzi, Pandev, Coutinho, Nagatomo

Bayern Munich: Kraft; Lahm, Tymoshchuk, Badstuber, Pranjic; Schweinsteiger, Luiz Gustavo; Robben, Muller, Ribery; Gomez
    Bayern bench: Butt, Breno, Van Buyten, Hamit Altintop, Ottl, Klose, Kroos

I expect a draw or a Bayern win, Inter have not been playing well lately and there are a few important players missing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

dor83 wrote: »
    Line ups are:

Inter: Julio Cesar; Maicon, Ranocchia, Lucio, Chivu; Zanetti, Cambiasso, Thiago Motta; Sneijder, Stankovic; Eto’o
    Inter bench: Castellazzi, Kharja, Mariga, Materazzi, Pandev, Coutinho, Nagatomo

Bayern Munich: Kraft; Lahm, Tymoshchuk, Badstuber, Pranjic; Schweinsteiger, Luiz Gustavo; Robben, Muller, Ribery; Gomez
    Bayern bench: Butt, Breno, Van Buyten, Hamit Altintop, Ottl, Klose, Kroos

I expect a draw or a Bayern win, Inter have not been playing well lately and there are a few important players missing too.

Inter have won there last 11 out of 13 games since Leonardo has come in so there form is pretty good and i can see there forward players giving that weak looking Bayern back 3 (bar Lahm) a tough time.
    Can see a few goals in this game with the two wingers for Bayern causing problems for Inter aswell

Inter have won there last 11 out of 13 games since Leonardo has come in so there form is pretty good and i can see there forward players giving that weak looking Bayern back 3 (bar Lahm) a tough time.
    Can see a few goals in this game with the two wingers for Bayern causing problems for Inter aswell
    Yeah the record since Leonardo came in is good but the standard of football has not been good in general, the defence has been a shambles and there has been a lot of luck too. I have watched every one of those 13 games and as much as I am happy with Leonardo as manager, anyone is better than Benitez imo, the team has not been playing well lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

What a night! Watch United play on RTE and have Inter-Bayern on the skyplayer!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's easily the game of the night, but I'm torn as who I would like to win...

Spending time in Munich last year has given me the standard healthy distaste of all things Bayern, but I dislike Inter for their performance in the semi final last year...

I hope both sides win :cool:

dfx- wrote: »
    I dislike Inter for their performance in the semi final last year...
    What was wrong with the performance in the semi last year?

penalty for eto'o there? i thought so

dor83 wrote: »
    What was wrong with the performance in the semi last year?

He must not of liked the 2 most entertaining football matches of 2010. Curse that edge of your seat football :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I enjoyed Inter's performances in those games.

what. a. save.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Fúcking cracking game so far.

Fúcking cracking game so far.
    How has no one scored!:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Robben is having a stormer! So unlucky to have neither an assist nor a goal at this point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Really entertaining game, and I rarely say that for a scoreless game.

Bayern seem to be going for it now.

Inter have been pants in the 2nd half. Bayern really need to make them pay.

Bayern been dominant this half but Inter should be 2 up now!

Gomez 1-0!!! Howler from Caesar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Was watching this alongside the man utd game, and the gulf in class was something else. The way it was played, the spirit it was played everything so much better

There's robbens assist. Poor from Caesar in spilling it right in front of goal, and poor from the cb's in not being alert. Gomez reacted long before they did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Anyways, my predictions, I reckon Inter could surprise everyone here and beat Bayern by 2.

That worked out well for ya. Good Lad

Mario Gomez is on fire this season. 28 in 32 games is a fantastic record.

Good win for Bayern. Very good game, imo. Seems like all 3 Italian teams might go out this round.

Bad year for italian football.

BERBA wrote: »

:confused:

Weird reaction to a random prediction...

...bayern very much deserve the win anyway. Very disappointing second half from inter.

Bayern deserved the win, at least it was only one goal so getting through is still possible, but it will need to be an improved performance in 3 weeks time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

BERBA wrote: »
    You must have so many friends, your ma must be so proud of you.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    :confused:

Weird reaction to a random prediction...

...bayern very much deserve the win anyway. Very disappointing second half from inter.

do you not remember my beautiful thread, berba v THFC, it's a result of that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Headshot wrote: »

That's right... some lovely comments in that one.... such a beautiful thread torn to shreds.... worth it though if it continues to gain momentum.

Ah, gotcha, wasn't paying enough attention to usernames.

If bayern can keep ribery, robben and Gomez fit and firing for the rest of the season, with schweinsteiger bossing midfield, they have a real chance against anyone this year.

How come that german football always seems to have so many decent keepers?

Kraft is only 22, and seemed very good tonight. And then there are also Neuer and Adler, all in their early 20s, and being first choice in the top teams of the bundesliga. English football could do with one of these promising young keepers.

Good win, deserved too. Pity Gomez couldn't score 2 bring in that 16/1 bet but oh well :).

Another step towards the extra champions league spot for Germany.

• Advertisement

Excellent game of football, end to end stuff for most of it. That young keeper for Bayern is excellent, I imagine some one will be moving in for him in the summer as he's too good (based solely on thet performance though) to be a number two. Bayern really impressed me tonight, thought Inter were going to redeem themselves after that abysmal group stage, not disappointed in the slightest though, never liked Inter, won the CL last year playing, as Pat Spillane would call it, puke football. The competition as a whole would be better off without them IMO. I'd imagine now that Bayern will cruise to victory as - IIRC - Inter don't fare too well away from home.

That young keeper for Bayern is excellent, I imagine some one will be moving in for him in the summer as he's too good (based solely on thet performance though) to be a number two.

He is number 1, won the job over the winter break. Butt is no 2 now(and retiring at the end of the season iirc). I think Kraft deserves to keep the job and foreign clubs would look towards Neuer and Adler this summer before Kraft so he'll be number 1 at Bayern next year too if he continues to perform like he has done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Anyone have a sopcast link for tonights game? The parents are watching the United match upstairs and its the only tv with Setanta.

Anyone have a sopcast link for tonights game? The parents are watching the United match upstairs and its the only tv with Setanta.

Try channel 79509 - It should have it.

106491 also.

Can't see any English sop links atm.

This should be a right good match

Ill see can i get the 2 tvs going :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Try channel 79509 - It should have it.

106491 also.

Can't see any English sop links atm.

Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

This should be a right good match

Ill see can i get the 2 tvs going :D

No recession in the Headshot household :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Nice touch with the Japan thing

IvySlayer wrote: »
    No recession in the Headshot household :mad:

I wish :(:(

One of the best things I ever did when i had a job was getting a motorised dish in

it has saved my buckets of money

Hope Bayern lose 9-0.

edit: Good start! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement