Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

from muck to nice garden?

Options
  • 23-02-2011 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Just want some advice on time and cost on my next big project. Built our house 5 years ago and only getting around to looking at the garden now.we're on a flat acre and I'd like to get an idea of how much it will cost to prepare the ground,plant grass seed all over,and how long does it take?the ground is very stony so will need to be ploughed and then top soil before grass,I presume? Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i assume you want a lawn, so? would you consider any other option, e.g. planting trees?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

MastiffMrs wrote: »
    Just want some advice on time and cost on my next big project. Built our house 5 years ago and only getting around to looking at the garden now.we're on a flat acre and I'd like to get an idea of how much it will cost to prepare the ground,plant grass seed all over,and how long does it take?the ground is very stony so will need to be ploughed and then top soil before grass,I presume? Any advice appreciated!

To get a real cost estimate you would need to get the contractor to come out have a look around see exactly what the soil conditions are and review the extent of work for themselves on site.

Any costing without seeing the site is not a realistic option as things could change dramatically when the contractor realises the whole site needed drainage for example.
    If it was a wall that needed plastering and you gave me the dimensions I could give you a cost and when I arrived there would be very little that could affect that cost. Unless of course the wall was on top of a mountain with no road access :)

Do you have any long term plan for the garden or do you just want lawn if? If just lawn no need for ploughing, top soil or expensive groundworks. Do you want formal lawn or wild flower meadow? Do you want to have an area to sit or cook in? Do you want paved areas?

A good landscaper will be able to supply you with a raft of ideas and save you money in the long run if you have future plans. With a little imagination you could have a cracking garden for a lot less than you think you just need the right person to tease that out of the landcape you have around you.

Get as many quotes as possible but I suggest you get them on site for a realistic evaluation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

OP - do some research to identify a shortlist of prospective landscaping companies to brief on potential scope of project, 2-3 companies should be sufficient to make a choice.

Project proposals should scope project, detail methodologies and proposed and associated costings.

Landscaping Companies offering design & build services are more likely to be more time efficient and cost effective.

For more details: www.alci.ie

Advertisement