Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airport Extreme

• 23-02-2011 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

HI Folks,

I have an Airport Extreme connected into my wireless router & am enjoying the wireless benifits on HD & printer etc.

One question i can find the answer to is that since my mac are now connect to the internet through the Airport Extreme- is my connecttion faster?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

no it's basically just a better quality router and will suffer less connection problems

AFAIK thats all there is to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 adamskerrries

Cheers,

Thought it was but maybe that was just me being hopeful :) cheers

there's always UPCs 100MB broadband :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 adamskerrries

Lol, would that plug driectly into my airport extreme or do you still need a differnt modem?

Lol, would that plug driectly into my airport extreme or do you still need a differnt modem?

depends on if UPC provide broadband in your area
    and if you have €80 a month for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Ws going to buy Apple Extreme...

Why do you need another modem / router connected to the Extreme Router ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Homer

Ws going to buy Apple Extreme...

The extreme won't take a feed directly from Eircom/NTL as far as I know. AS in, you can't replace your existing supplied router with an Extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I have an Airport Extreem, would not recommend over priced and very anoying to set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

All Airport models are routers, but not modems, so they need to be connected to a modem.

This is because there are loads of different modem/ISP requirements/standards all over the world (eg: ADSL, ADSL2+, Cable, Wireless 3g, Wireless point-to-point, Wi-Max, Satellite, etc), so it wouldn't make sense to try and include modem functionality in such a device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Rather than starting a new thread I'll just resurrect this one.

Currently on UPC 30Mbps connection, the cisco router isn't great for the wireless devices ie. 2 x iPhones/Ipad and ATV2, it works but I rarely get even half of the the full 30Meg connection via speed test even though on the hardwired pc it easily achieves it.

Has anyone used the Airport or Airport extreme? Would I notice €89/€159 worth of a difference vs a cheaper 802.11n brand router?

ATV2 is jail broken running XBMC, some of the file struggle to play without buffering, I'm not sure if they are file format related or poor connection related, but I'd be prepared to buy one of the airports if I was fairly sure I'd get a blazing wireless connection all the time.

I like the look of the airplay feature too and the usb NAS option.

Anyone out there have one? I'd appreciate a bit of feedback.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm on UPC's 20MB broadband and connect my extreme via bridging to UPC's modem. The Extreme is there for it's wireless N hardware. I'm getting 15-17Mbps on the speedtest app on iPhone. As for whether it's worth the extra money to you, you'd have to decide that.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Dan82

Just got an AirPort Extreme , What lead do i need to buy to connect it to the the Vodafone Modem i have? not major techy so help would be great, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I'd imagine its just a standard rj45 Ethernet cable

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Dan82

guil wrote: »
    I'd imagine its just a standard rj45 Ethernet cable

thanks and will that just connect to any the fitting on rear or vodafone wifi box and the AirPort

Advertisement