Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken Maxtor 3200

• 23-02-2011 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hey All,

I have a mate who dropped their extrernal hard drive. The USB port broke which is easy to repair. There is another component that has broke. It a S 1 ward 7A. Which would lead me to believe its a fuse, but i've know to be wrong a lot, HA!

Anyone out that can give advice would really help loads.

Thanks,
    Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

You might be better off trying to take the hard drive out of the enclosure and buy an external case.

Provided the Hard Drive is ok there is a lot less that can go wrong that way.

You may have to physically break the case so be careful.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

picture might help ID the component

but best to take the drive out rather than risk frying it on the off chance it's a voltage regulator

• Registered Users Posts: 37 MarkDPC

Cheers lads,

I'll see if i can get one up asap.

Thanks,
    Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34805014@N00/sets/72157600354679656

Why would you risk a repair, just remove the HDD and buy a new case, they're really cheap.

The only problem is that theres a few components on the board that snapped off. If i could buy the board and case seperate i will just dont know from where you know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

the hard drive can be taken out ,put into a caddy case ,cost 25 euro.
    its from 2006, could be an ide drive,google ide interface image .
    http://www.natch.net/stuff/maxtor_turboing/ is it like this?
    unless the drive onboard pcb is broken ,it should work fine in a caddy,put some tape over the drive pcb, to prevent short circuits.
    just because the powerunit,or enclosure pcb power connecting board is broken,doesnt mean the drive wont work in a new caddy.

Your link is spot on. The actual hdd is fine its just the board thats ****ed. Those ribbon cables are easy to come by or order i should say?

ide 3.5inch are easy to find, on ebay, or adverts.ie, or maybe 2euro in any pc repair shop.IT,D BE EASY to install the drive in a pc ,if its 3.5inch,if the pc has a mobo pc ide/ata interface, ie not sata interface.
    look for ata/ ide cable 3.5 ,theres probably 2.5inch cables avaidable too, the easy thing to do is buy a caddy, is the drive 3.5inch,or 2.5 ?

Im almost sure its a 3.5 inch

• Advertisement

Thanks man your a legend

you could remove the broken,pcb,hold on to the old case ,it could be used for a sata drive in the future,you can buy usb to ide cables from maplins,but they are like 45euros.THE 13EURO enclosure is cheaper,and more secure.

Advertisement