Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TNG - S06E12 - Ship in a Bottle (or Inception on the Holodeck)

Options
  • 23-02-2011 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Just watched this a few days ago and was surprised i didn't remember more about it while watching inception.

All the basic themes are there, Moriarty creates a program within a program, Picard, Data & Barclay are unable to communicate outside the level they are on, other characters are unaware of the motives of the program, Moriarty using the program to extract information from Picard, Moriarty is caught by using a program within a program, within a program!

TNG was so ahead of its time it done Inception, 18 years ago!!!
    And it done it better too...

I await your Di Caprio/Stewart photoshops.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

TNG usually had very cool mental puzzle episodes like this, in addition to all the philosophizing, very unique in that regard.

As for Inception I thought it was utter sh1t, everyone will disagree with me but I hate Nolans directorial style, for a few reasons, one his overuse of montage sequences with epic music makes it seem like his films are just big trailers, 2. spelling out and repeating the theme over and over again, count how many times the characters define what an inception is to see what I mean, this also happened in the dark knight which was also utter sh1t except for the Jokers performance. In addition I didn't identify with any of the characters in Inception, they were fairly boring, same with all his films, the characterization just doesn't do it for me but then again they're fairly plot heavy, I really hate Nolan and I'm in a minority of one.
    Rant over.

Back to TNG, I would hope many others will catch on to its legacy but I don't expect this as the episodes are quite sedate by todays standards (and better for it).

Advertisement