Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wearing contacts whilst running

• 23-02-2011 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

When i run i usually just wear my glasses and if i'm wearing a hat they stay in place just fine but without a hat they tend to keep slipping. I haven't worn contacts during my runs before and was just wondering if anyone wears them regularly and if they find any problems with eyes drying out or difficulty removing them afterwards. I'm going to try them out this weekend on a long run and if they're ok I'll wear them for the Ballycotton so any experience of this is appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Ecoenergy wrote: »
    When i run i usually just wear my glasses and if i'm wearing a hat they stay in place just fine but without a hat they tend to keep slipping. I haven't worn contacts during my runs before and was just wondering if anyone wears them regularly and if they find any problems with eyes drying out or difficulty removing them afterwards. I'm going to try them out this weekend on a long run and if they're ok I'll wear them for the Ballycotton so any experience of this is appreciated.

Cheers.

Personally only rarely wear contacts & would never bother for a training run but haven't had any problems wearing them during races. In fact, it's only wearing them indoors that I find tends to make my eyes tired. Of course everyone's different so your mileage might vary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've had no problems wearing contacts when running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I wear contacts regularly running and never had a problem (tips wood.) They also came out with no problem which could anything from 3 hours wear to 18hours.

Never had an issue with them drying out either and I've done 5 hour long events feat running and cycling. I usually put them in about 2 hours before the race to let them settle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭DaveR1

What kind of cantacts do you wear? I have daily disposables and wear them for all sport, swimming, cycling, running. Very rarely have a problem, but sometimes they do come out while training, just as they can come out during the day. Only you can't replace them while training!! Its no problem though, you can still see fine with one eye!
    I am pretty sure this doesn't happen due to the training more due to the fact that they mightn't have been put on correctly. Happens very rarely < once a month.

Obviously if they are glass lenses and worth a bit you just have to hope they don't come out or you'll have to a) stop racing to mind the lens b) get a new one!!

Aswell.... Always have spare pairs or your glasses in the car. You don't want to drive home half blind!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

Thanks for the replies. I'll wear them training to try them out and hopefully for the race next week all going well.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

I wear daily disposables and have never had a problem running, swimming or on the bike. I do always carry a spare pair just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭rockman15

Can I suggest to the OP that if he does have problems that he would see an optician recognised by the Association of Optometrists Ireland. A lot of people suffer from ill fitting contact lenses and subsequently eye infections

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I had always assumed they wouldn't be too keen on giving me contacts, but since I've got them I'm wearing them most of the time for everything. They have stayed in perfectly fine and with no issues for anything from running training, racing, cross country, skiing, Bob sleigh, sky diving, bungy jumping and anything else you can think of in between. Would never have enjoyed any of those things quite as much if I was still wearing the glasses though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Never had a problem with contacts for running, but didnt notice my eyes tend to be a bit dry after long runs in the summer. So invested in some eye drops also. Would always have an old pair of glasses in the car too .

Advertisement