Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honda deuville

• 23-02-2011 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭

I know bike restriction is a whole can of worms as cant seem to find a solid answer on this so here goes -

Quinn insurance recently sent me out a letter to say they cant insure me (i still have a provisional licence as farted about on doing the test for years as do not use the bike much!!) as my 2002 honda deuville 650 is over the restriction limit. However, i have been insured with them for ages now and was always under the impression that the deuville was fine. I was insured on the smae bike with carrol nash before them and it never came up as a problem at all

They say they will cancel the policy in a few days so any suggestions?

Do i have to contact honda to check this or go to get my bike restricted (really do not want to have to do this).

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Well both the 650 and 700 deauvilles are NOT learner legal unless restricted, youve been driving around unlicensed and uninsured in the eyes of the law so quinn are well within their rights to do this (even though if they cared so much it should be done BEFORE the policy is taken out)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Quinn are a bit lad about restriction. One of the lads had a TDM and he swapped it for a zx9r and they told him they would only insure him for 2 weeks because he only had a provisional license. Which is strange because they shouldn't have insured gonna at all.

Your gonna have to get it restricted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

seanybiker wrote: »
    Quinn are a bit lad about restriction. One of the lads had a TDM and he swapped it for a zx9r and they told him they would only insure him for 2 weeks because he only had a provisional license. Which is strange because they shouldn't have insured gonna at all.

Your gonna have to get it restricted
    ahh balls - they should have done all this before i took out the policy!!

Transform wrote: »

I know yeah. It's a pain but sure at least with it you shouldn't have a problem if you did need to claim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

Contact a bike shop and get it booked in for the restriction. Tell Quinn you just got is restricted and you will forward them proof, just so they don't cancel on you.

I'm not sure where you can go for the restriction, but I was happy with the restrictions made by a company out by the airport (they did a Cb400 super four and CBR600 for me); I think the pricing was 300 at one time and 80 another, didn't question it when they charged 80 the last time.

• Advertisement

think i will pop into GEM in ranelagh as get all my work done there and they guys are really great to deal with - big time pi$$ed as was always told (by a bike insturctor a few years ago) that the deuville was fine due to its weight and not because its 650cc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Same thing happened me over christmas, ended up selling the bike.

Instructor was wrong, even with their immense weight the deauville is still over the power to weight ratio, but only marginally and pretty much every deauville owner thinks his bike is learner legal but things are getting a lot stricter now and the guards are more likely to check, and in the event of a crash your insurance wont pay out when they found out the bike wasnt restricted

To add fuel, Ive got a letter here from honda from a few years ago stating what bikes fall under the power to weight rule and although quinn at first accepted this about a month later i got a letter telling me i had 14 days to prove my restriction so i called them up and they wouldnt accept the letter anymore as they had gotten the specs of the bike off the internet and calculated the pw ratio themselves and the bike was infact not learner legal and that my letter was only "a magazine clipping"

only redeeming factor is i got a renewal price that no other company could nearly match(aon wanted 10x more for a year off me on the same bike.)

will mull it over a bit so thanks again everyone and just want to get the test now asap - however i think i have to keep it restricted for another 2yrs after i pass the test? which is total BS

Yup your supposed to keep it restricted for two years after getting the full license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

will mull it over a bit so thanks again everyone and just want to get the test now asap - however i think i have to keep it restricted for another 2yrs after i pass the test? which is total BS

It shouldn't cost the earth to get it restricted and I've driven a restricted Deauville 650 and it wasn't all that bad. The top end of the acceleration was rounded off (and it wouldn't go over 80 mph) but it would cruise all day at 70 and clipped up through the gears with enough poke to stay with traffic.

Go for it - you have the bike already and it would be a pity not to follow through and get the test.

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

I'm also Deauville pilot and yes, the standard 650 is over the power to weight limit although only just over.

As said above, get it restricted. It'll make very little difference to the bike most of the time. Unless you do a lot of motorways you're unlikely to notice it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

The deauville isn't much over the p-w limit to be fair. You'll hardly notice the restriction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

I had the same issue when I brought my Deauville. Some people said it needed to be restricted, others said it didn't so in the end I got all the facts and technical data, did the calculations and it's only just over the legal limit so I phoned the RSA and got in contact with some guy. I can't remember his name but he was very helpful. His main point was that the difference between the restricted and non-restricted version is not even noticeable but it's not worth the chance as the insurance companies and Guards are cracking down on this.

Best advice I received and it's the same advice I will pass on to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

think i will pop into GEM in ranelagh as get all my work done there and they guys are really great to deal with - big time pi$$ed as was always told (by a bike insturctor a few years ago) that the deuville was fine due to its weight and not because its 650cc

On a slight tangent, I read over on biker that GEM have moved (or are in the process of moving) from Ranelagh to Morehampton Rd - phone no not changing, so give them a bell before you pop in.

wow thanks for the heads up on that and its not a far move thank god.

Cheers again everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

A motorbike like the Deuville has two cylinders so you will use more of the torque of the engine to accelerate and less time revving the poor engine.

Restrictions are based on four cylinder bikes and so you still keep the torque (or most of it) even with a limited bike. The top end (high revs) is resticted but you never use this on a two cylinder bike so don't worry about the two year license limit as you will not notice a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

TheUsual wrote: »
    A motorbike like the Deuville has two cylinders so you will use more of the torque of the engine to accelerate and less time revving the poor engine.

Restrictions are based on four cylinder bikes and so you still keep the torque (or most of it) even with a limited bike. The top end (high revs) is resticted but you never use this on a two cylinder bike so don't worry about the two year license limit as you will not notice a big difference.

this post reads like a bad case of chinese whispers :p

If im only to correct one thing, its that engines absolutely love being revved

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

i know you said your going to get it checked out in GEM (i hae bought a few things off them before and they are very reasonable on price), but i would also call Chopper from biker.. poleonmotorcycles.com if he has a second hand kit for the bike it might cost less then half the price and when your talking 120ish vs 300ish it could be worth the effort, he did my super four for 110 fully legal and covered by Quinn insurance.

on another note, i didn't notice any difference from 0-120kph, it's a little sluggish up to 140-150... i know our bikes have different engine setups but i cant imagine you will feel too much of a pinch in it's power.

Wossack wrote: »
    If im only to correct one thing, its that engines absolutely love being revved

I agree with you 100% - it clears out all the carbon and soot in your engine and charges up the battery too ... always good if you are commuting 5 days a week at low revs.

But twin cylinder engines work at lower revs - like you get more acceletation lower down than 4 cylinder ones.
    So a restriction is more noticable on a 4 cylinder bike where you need more revs to get going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Do you even know what torque and HP is ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

KTRIC wrote: »

'Torque is cheap, HP is sauce...'

'cptr

Yep. Everyone does. You are really not as clever as you believe.

Yep. Everyone does. You are really not as clever as you believe.

Or am I ?? :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Or am I ?? :eek:
    No.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    No.

Are you still here. Haven't found that door yet have you ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Are you still here. Haven't found that door yet have you ??

I seem to remember you trying to show it to me.

How'd that work out for you? :)

Advertisement