Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael and yet more censorship

Options
  • 23-02-2011 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Most of us are probably aware of the story where Fine Gael's website was hacked by 4chan due to the fact that they were severely altering or removing comments.

It now appears the same is going on with their official facebook page
    FINE GAEL has defended its decision to delete comments being posted to the Wall of its official Facebook page, after hundreds of users took to the site to protest the party’s position on gay marriage.
    The party has come under attack in recent days after repeated assertions by Dublin South East candidate Lucinda Creighton, who said her opposition to full gay marriage – in contrast to her support of the Civil Partnership Bill – was in line with the party’s own policies.
    Hundreds of users have registered their disgust on the Fine Gael page, with a sustained wave of comments being posted on its Wall this evening – only for some of the comments to then be deleted by its administrators, prompting some to claim that their opinions were being ‘censored’.
    Fine Gael’s Facebook (6)Previous6 / 6Next

This evening a spokesman said there was a “very straightforward explanation” for the moderation policy on the Facebook page – and insisted that only “abusive comments” were being removed, in line with the policy of the group that manages the Fine Gael page.
    “It’s the policy that, when it becomes apparent there’s a coordinated attack from – very obviously – the same sources, given it’s a forum for open discussion, we consciously free up space for other people to have their say.”
    Comments which raised issue with the party’s policies on any matter, the spokesman added, would “absolutely” be left online if they were not deemed abusive.

While looking at the page now it appears some people have jumped on the bandwagon just to have a go at the party from the comments and screenshots posted on thejournal.ie it seems Fine Gael don't want to answer questions relating to their stance on stag hunting, gay marriage and abortion.

I've asked civil questions of my own there now and I hope they will be answered in a factual and informative way as If a potential new government gets elected on the back of allegations of cover up's and lies I think my faith in this country will have been killed for sure.

On another note, Even if some of these comments are not so eloquently put what sort of example does this send to the young people of the country who's only interaction with this political party may be through social media and when they do show an interest in politics and would like to ask something it's simply erased:mad::mad:

http://www.thejournal.ie/fine-gael-defends-deletion-of-abusive-facebook-comments-2011-2/#slide-slideshow6

http://www.facebook.com/FineGaelParty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Da_Viper wrote: »

While looking at the page now it appears some people have jumped on the bandwagon just to have a go at the party from the comments and screenshots posted on thejournal.ie it seems Fine Gael don't want to answer questions relating to their stance on stag hunting, gay marriage and obortion.

Is that like the D4 version of abortion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Dear OP,

No.

Sincerely,
    Sykk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

What did people think was going to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Sykk wrote: »
    Dear OP,

No.

Sincerely,
    Sykk
    I can do one better

Dear OP,

Not everyone has the same opinions as you do.

Sincerely,
    Iwasfrozen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Most of the questions deleted were not abusive, personally I think its very disappointing that the party set to lead this country not only delete questions but just don't answer them at all. Everything requires a meeting, its all spin, no straight answers (pardon the pun ;)) from anyone. How can we elect these people if they don't show what they really think?

I mean I was quite pro FG before this, I was aware they were 'unsure' of SSM but this outright objection, censorship and silence has shocked me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Sure what about it!,if they have to delete them they have to delete them!

People getting carried away,if you had/have an issue with Fine Gael go to your local FG office or you should have asked your question when FG were canvassing simple as!

Their is no need for people to go all out on the offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

What a bummer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

No gay marriage in Ireland for the duration of the nest dail.

Get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Da_Viper wrote: »
    Most of us are probably aware of the story where Fine Gael's website was hacked by 4chan due to the fact that they were severely altering or removing comments.
    Oh for gods sake... NOT EVERYTHING IS DONE BY 4CHAN. 4chan is a website, not a person. Just because a wesbite is hacked does not mean "ZOMG GUYZ IT WAS 4CHAN AGAIN!!" It was two guys who got bored and then stuck the 'Anonymous' logo on the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Oh for gods sake... NOT EVERYTHING IS DONE BY 4CHAN. 4chan is a website, not a person. Just because a wesbite is hacked does not mean "ZOMG GUYZ IT WAS 4CHAN AGAIN!!" It was two guys who got bored and then stuck the 'Anonymous' logo on the page.
    How do you know it wasn't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    How do you know it wasn't?
    • Anyone could have hacked the site and just said "IM FROM ANONYMOUS!!"
    • Anonymous was in the middle of the Wikileaks stuff at the time
    • Who gives a shiiite about Fine Gael enough to hack it other than pissed off Irish people?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Yeah, the same question probably asked by 100 different people. Get over it. Some of the comments.. Edit: Actually it seems to be 100 comments from the same few people.
    Come on Enda! You show those Jews in the IMF who's boss.
    I heard if you say Lucinda Creighton 3 times into a mirror she appears and forces you to go to straight camp
    Too bad I don't live in Ireland anymore; I'm a racist homphobe who loves mindless computer games. Long live FG!

No wonder they are deleting that kind of ****e from their page.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Op, if FG were actually censoring things, surely Lucinda Creighton would have been locked in a windowless room by now, and they would have taken down their own webiste due to overwhelmingly stupid interactive content.

Also, 4Chan, pah. All they do is make poorly drawn faces into internet sensations.

prinz wrote: »

I dunno the third point has a lot of truth to it :D

Op, if FG were actually censoring things, surely Lucinda Creighton would have been locked in a windowless room by now, and they would have taken down their own webiste due to overwhelmingly stupid interactive content.

Also, 4Chan, pah. All they do is make poorly drawn faces into internet sensations.
    Lucinda had a right to say what she liked,whether people agree or maybe disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Actually no, she doesn't. She is not an independent, she is a member of the party about to run the country, so I demand a bit of ****ing sense from her. To me, it means the party out to run the country thinks I am unfit to raise a child, so I'm angry.

Lucinda had a right to say what she liked,whether people agree or maybe disagree.

'Maybe disagree'...?

Subtle, but effective spin. You should work for a political party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

prinz wrote: »
    The really stupid thing is that they somehow didn't expect clowns, teenagers, political enemies and anyone who disapproves of their policies to vandalise their Facebook account. Surely it was inevitable?

Actually no, she doesn't. She is not an independent, she is a member of the party about to run the country, so I demand a bit of ****ing sense from her. To me, it means the party out to run the country thinks I am unfit to raise a child, so I'm angry.

Yes she does. Just like you have a right to be angry. Doesn't matter if FG are about to run the country or not.

:rolleyes: well their is no law which states she has no right to give her point of view as she has a party affiliation,so yes she does have a right to say what she wishes.

The majority have the right to give their point of view,and most will have the opportunity to vote Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

"Ridicule is the tribute paid to the genius by the mediocrities." -Lucinda Creighton

Jesus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i just 'liked' the facebook page and ive started trolling. i want an answer to my jelly and ice cream question

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

TheZohan wrote: »
    Jesus...

:o

That's bad!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Lucinda was great in Red Dwarf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

But Lucinda's comments have offended not only the gay community but also married couples who chose not to have kids and married couple who cannot due to infertility problems cannot have kids.
    Religion should be left outside the Dail full stop

gcgirl wrote: »
    Religion should be left outside the Dail full stop

...and what ecclesiastical office does Lucinda hold these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

TheZohan wrote: »
    Jesus...
    I think it was Oscar Wilde who said that.

gcgirl wrote: »
    ... also married couples who chose not to have kids and married couple who cannot due to infertility problems cannot have kids.

Neither of those are precluded from establishing an environment for children to grow up in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

I dont see how posting up pictures of Hitler contributes anyway to either side of the debate. The people posting are only ruining their own credibility. If you want to make a point or ask a question, do so in a civilised manner. Don't act like thugs or children.

• Advertisement

I for one am glad to hear what Lucinda had to say & I have to say it is great to hear politicians from their Own personal point of views and no just that of their party views.

Those who feel offended should have a look at this link which was on Lucinda Creightons Twitter...

http://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2010-01-27.390.0&s=creighton+civil+partnership#g399.0

Advertisement