Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael and yet more censorship

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Da_Viper

I dont see how posting up pictures of Hitler contributes anyway to either side of the debate. The people posting are only ruining their own credibility. If you want to make a point or ask a question, do so in a civilised manner. Don't act like thugs or children.

They don't unfortunately most the people who are posting now have come to troll and just add credibility to the Fine Gael statement that they only remove abusive comments.

I simply asked the following question last night

Hi, Fine Gael.....Can you please tell me what is your stance on stem cell research, I'm sure people with alzheimers and parkinsons wont be able to get out and vote but I'd lie to hear your views on this viable new treatment???

Now someone tell me why Fine Gael should firstly not feel the need to answer it and secondly why delete it...Why should I even go and go and vote on Friday for that matter when it's clear my voice cant be heard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Da_Viper wrote: »
    They don't unfortunately most the people who are posting now have come to troll and just add credibility to the Fine Gael statement that they only remove abusive comments.

I simply asked the following question last night

Hi, Fine Gael.....Can you please tell me what is your stance on stem cell research, I'm sure people with alzheimers and parkinsons wont be able to get out and vote but I'd lie to hear your views on this viable new treatment???

Now someone tell me why Fine Gael should firstly not feel the need to answer it and secondly why delete it...Why should I even go and go and vote on Friday for that matter when it's clear my voice cant be heard

Surely you could send an Email or visit your local Fine Gael Office,Fine Gael as good as they maybe,are not super human & can not address every question put to them via Facebook/Twitter as they are out in the real world not the cyber world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Lucinda had a right to say what she liked,whether people agree or maybe disagree.

Also, since it's boards and everything is taken out of context, I do agree. I just think someone in FG might have wanted to try avoid one of their party saying stupid things. It's not just that I disagree with her views, her delivery is the problem.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to do some propogation :p 'Giggidy'

Surely you could send an Email or visit your local Fine Gael Office,Fine Gael as good as they maybe,are not super human & can not address every question put to them via Facebook/Twitter as they are out in the real world not the cyber world.

But they have the time to delete it.

What does this say, to me it says "I have time to read the question you took time and consideration to ask our views on, For reasons of our own I wont answer it but rather than leave it lingering there I better just delete it"

Says a lot about the party that many of us are putting our faith in after the lies and cover up's of Fianna Fail.

In fact Fine Gael stink of lies and cover up's to me these days

What does this say, to me it says "I have time to read the question you took time and consideration to ask our views on, For reasons of our own I wont answer it but rather than leave it lingering there I better just delete it"

Says a lot about the party that many of us are putting our faith in after the lies and cover up's of Fianna Fail.

Well the majority will vote Fine Gael into government.

Comments were deleted to create more room for other people to share their point of views not because they Fine Gael Party had no interest in answering your question.

And sure look,you have the right to vote who ever you like in to government/the majority will vote Fine Gael,But their are other options there & if your question has been answered satisfactorily by another party,well their you go.

But You still have a day to get in contact with your local FG Representative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

I totally agree they shouldn't have deleted that. I actually saw that on a page about 10 mins ago, I dono did you repost it or summit.

My post was in relation to the people posting with regard to gay marraige and the flood of completely ridiculous messages and links. If they had just keep posting questions or something that wouldn't be too bad but they are making fools of themselves.

I think you should also ring your local canidate about that matter and see what they have to say. I asked a local Independent about something two weeks ago and still have heard nothing. Needless to say they wont be getting my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

I'm not exactly surprised - FG are a conservative party in terms of their economic policies and they're hardly going to be liberal with social issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

This is just the begining. Fine Gael will be censoring your posts next, and monitoring your Facebook constantly. Enda Kenny was reported to have been seen coming out of a top secret, hush hush meeting with Mark Zuckerberg recently in a top star hotel in Dublin, with what they were discussing being pretty obvious to the obvious Conspiracy theorist. Enda Kenny is after all the modern day Goebels ;)

(Did I just invoke Godwin's law? Woops!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

prinz wrote: »
    Neither of those are precluded from establishing an environment for children to grow up in.

But they are not any less a family? Are they committing fraud because the choose not to have kids or cannot have kids ? As far as I grasped marriage it's a life long commitment to one another I don't see it in a rule book to have kids and frankly there are a load of people happily having kids outside of wedlock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

orourkeda wrote: »
    No gay marriage in Ireland for the duration of the nest dail.

Get used to it.

It saddens me that your stance on the matter is so throwaway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Am I the only one that realizes if people called them a bunch of anti-semites, homophobics that they'd be arrested or at least told to move on and start protesting without malicious intent.

Resi12 wrote: »
    It saddens me that your stance on the matter is so throwaway.

But it's fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Well the majority will vote Fine Gael into government.

Rather unlikely

most commentators FG to come close to winning a clear majoirty of seats in the dail but not to actually hit the magic number of 83+ seats and thanks to the vagaries of the electoral system its easily possible to get far more than 83 seats on a minority of votes cast.

Its actually a pretty rare thing in most countries for a government to be elected with over 50% of the popular vote. Even rarer to get that majority when voter turnout is factored in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

This is in relatioon to the censorship mods...

What's the difference between civil partnership and gay marriage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Comments were deleted to create more room for other people to share their point of views

lol yeah the tubes on my facebook got blocked one time and I had to call the plumber. Understanding technology; you're doing it wrong!

I'm guessing that marriage is a religious thing. Personally I'd be against gay marriage (as in have it in a church) but I'm fine with them legally being married (not just "partners"), since it's a right everyone should be given. If you want to give it a whole religious show you'll find someone that's fine with marrying two of the same sex. But no, I don't think you should be forced to marry two people if it's against your beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Civil Partnership entails different tax and social welfare costs and also totally ignores the children of these relationships. The other issue is that separate rights are not equal rights. I understand religious objection and for that reason I have no interest in imposing myself on religious organizations, I just want the legal civil marriage.

I'm guessing that marriage is a religious thing. Personally I'd be against gay marriage (as in have it in a church) but I'm fine with them legally being married (not just "partners"), since it's a right everyone should be given. If you want to give it a whole religious show you'll find someone that's fine with marrying two of the same sex. But no, I don't think you should be forced to marry two people if it's against your beliefs.

agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

So the economy is in serious trouble. 150 billion hole in the public purse, huge budget deficit, 400 thousand plus on the live register, emigration worse than the eighties, our health service in disarray, sovereignty has being null and void and we are basically controlled by the germans and IMF and your worried about a few comments getting deleted on facebook:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

OP has 17 posts in 12 months, 5 of which attack FG.

• Advertisement

OP has 17 posts in 12 months, 5 of which attack FG.

Considering Bren here thinks they are going to get half the votes of the electorate I think that seems pretty proportionate :D

Considering Bren here thinks they are going to get half the votes of the electorate I think that seems pretty proportionate :D

Well my friend,FG say they deleted the post's as they say it was an co-ordinated attack on the FG Party & on their Facebook page!

I'm beginning to think their right considering,as the Mod pointed out your only posts over the last few months have been attacking FG.

Does FG deleting comments off THEIR OWN website really constitute censorship ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Does FG deleting comments off THEIR OWN website really constitute censorship ?????

Yes. Location has nothing to do with the definition of the act of censorship. Censorship is simply the suppression of speech or other communication that is considered morally, politically, or in other ways objectionable. Where it happens doesn't even enter into the equation.

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    lol yeah the tubes on my facebook got blocked one time and I had to call the plumber. Understanding technology; you're doing it wrong!

I didn't like that,not a nice comment.

Yes. Location has nothing to do with the definition of the act of censorship. Censorship is simply the suppression of speech or other communication that is considered morally, politically, or in other ways objectionable. Where it happens doesn't even enter into the equation.

They own the page (or at least control it) so they can do what they like.

Next you'll be saying that Rupert Murdock can edit the news any way he likes on his many media empires :rolleyes:

It's called responsibility

So If you were working as the editor of the local paper and received a letter along the lines of:
    O'Coonassa,
    You are a right cunt and I hope you and your sort all die of the pox.
    Best Wishes
    Mike 1972

You would publish it in full ? :confused:

Next you'll be saying that Rupert Murdock can edit the news any way he likes on his many media empires :rolleyes:

It's called responsibility

And I think part of that responsibility would be to remove possible offensive contents, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I'm not sure that's the point here really, they can, but they shouldn't.

Edit: Though abuse and obvious idiocy should be removed, as they have no need to respond to it.

Advertisement