Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael and yet more censorship

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

I'm not sure that's the point here really, they can, but they shouldn't.

Edit: Though abuse and obvious idiocy should be removed, as they have no need to respond to it.

That is the problem, general idiocy is being allowed (or should be allowed) according to the general consensus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    So If you were working as the editor of the local paper and received a letter along the lines of:

You would publish it in full ? :confused:

I'd have to. I'm against censorship. However there'd be absolutely nothing preventing me from replying to you and demonstrating why it is you who is the female genitals. That's how we move forward. If I cut you off then I think there's no good can come of it.

They own the page (or at least control it) so they can do what they like.

I wasn't disputing that. However them doing so goes by the name of censorship. It really doesn't bode well for a political faction that is promising more honesty and openness in Government. Don't forget these people are descended from a party that brought us The Committee on Evil Literature and spawned the Blueshirts. Best to keep an eye on them IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

I love the way some people seem to think Fianna Gael are going to be our saviors and turn the whole system in this country around, give it a few weeks and all we''l hear is that things are much worse than Fianna Fail led us to believe, we'll have another budget and get screwed with more taxes. No matter who gets into power we're going to get shafted anyway, the new government will get massive wages and perks and the taxpayer will be footing the bill as usual. It's all a load of bollix as far as i'm concerned, i'm just wondering will I bother voting or will I just go in and spoil my vote in protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    I'd have to. I'm against censorship. However there'd be absolutely nothing preventing me from replying to you and demonstrating why it is you who is the female genitals.

If you recieved THOUSANDS of letters expressing similar sentiments would you publish them all ?

What if they included my 158 page reply expanding on all the reasons why you were a crack hoes procreative organ and why you, your kin and everyone else whom you had ever met merited death by pox ?

While your idealism is admirable I somehow suspect your newspaper might struggle to attract advertising revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Sure what about it!,if they have to delete them they have to delete them!

People getting carried away,if you had/have an issue with Fine Gael go to your local FG office or you should have asked your question when FG were canvassing simple as!

Their is no need for people to go all out on the offensive.

I asked a simple question about stag hunting, not offensive ect and it was deleted. thats fair enough its only a web site but were it gets serious is that clown enda kenny avoiding questions on the economy and winning by default. Seriously anyone who doesnt think their fianna fail nua have another thing coming, look at their expenses scandals and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Da_Viper wrote: »
    Most of us are probably aware of the story where Fine Gael's website was hacked by 4chan due to the fact that they were severely altering or removing comments.

The only comments that weren't posted were ones with swear words in them. I've love to know how you came to the conclusion that any comments were "severely altered".

Mark200 wrote: »
    The only comments that weren't posted were ones with swear words in them. I've love to know how you came to the conclusion that any comments were "severely altered".

mine had none yet was deleted

steddyeddy wrote: »
    mine had none yet was deleted

From the Fine Gael website?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I can do one better

Dear OP,

Not everyone has the same opinions as you do.

Sincerely,
    Iwasfrozen
    are they for or against gay marraige, i do know their stance on the stag hunting,
    but anyway it is the economy that is my worry

• Advertisement

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    If you recieved THOUSANDS of letters expressing similar sentiments would you publish them all ?

What if they included my 158 page reply expanding on all the reasons why you were a crack hoes procreative organ and why you, your kin and everyone else whom you had ever met merited death by pox ?

While your idealism is admirable I somehow suspect your newspaper might struggle to attract advertising revenue.

OK I take your point with the newspaper publishing lark but it doesn't really apply to FG in this instance because all the publishing is done for them, and there are zero financial or space constraints. It's really bad form for a would be Government to be censoring the opinions of citizens. There's a certain mentality behind it that shouldn't be in power, if they're this bad now it doesn't bode well for open and honest Government to my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

The really stupid thing is that they somehow didn't expect clowns, teenagers, political enemies and anyone who disapproves of their policies to vandalise their Facebook account. Surely it was inevitable?

and they tried to bluff their way out of the deleting by saying they were free up space for those who have genuine need to write on the wall! I'm not on fb anymore but last I knew there was no limit to space on the wall??

such bullsh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    OK I take your point with the newspaper publishing lark but it doesn't really apply to FG in this instance because all the publishing is done for them, and there are zero financial or space constraints. It's really bad form for a would be Government to be censoring the opinions of citizens. There's a certain mentality behind it that shouldn't be in power, if they're this bad now it doesn't bode well for open and honest Government to my mind.

Aren't you the guy who posted the blatantly photoshoped picture of fox news sayign Obama's was pissed with Enda and implying that we shouldn't elect him?

Sounds like you have your own "bad form" regarding publishing to deal with.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Censorship is unacceptable, END OF!

Fine Gael have seriously made a bad situation worse by trying to say "they were making more room for others to have their say" when deleting comments.

Since when has space been an issue on FB. I have heard some party members say, "sure it's only FB, who cares!"............. WHAT? It's one of the most prolific parts of their campaign as far as I can see. They are exactly like FF, they cover up what they want, when they want and it gets lost in the stream of media coverage.

Besides the remarks Creighton made (which in it's self is a big issue for an equality spokesperson) this is a big issue, which probably will go unnoticed, and FG will get into government anyway. Lets just hope it's not a majority or we're all f**cked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rcarron

earlier today i was involved in a thread on the fine gael facebook page in which one person commented that Lucinda Creighton may have been right to say what she said. In response, myself and several other members asked the original poster to verify his comments. It was all in all a well rounded debate, without hostility or vulgarity, and in the end the original poster admitted he was wrong in saying what he said. The entire exchange has since been deleted off the site.

I was angry about this and had heard other rumors that posts where being deleted ...so i set up a fanpage on facebook asking people to 'like' if they too had had comments deleted. The page lasted a total of three minutes and I have since been blocked from the Fine Gael page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

rcarron wrote: »
    earlier today i was involved in a thread on the fine gael facebook page in which one person commented that Lucinda Creighton may have been right to say what she said. In response, myself and several other members asked the original poster to verify his comments. It was all in all a well rounded debate, without hostility or vulgarity, and in the end the original poster admitted he was wrong in saying what he said. The entire exchange has since been deleted off the site.

I was angry about this and had heard other rumors that posts where being deleted ...so i set up a fanpage on facebook asking people to 'like' if they too had had comments deleted. The page lasted a total of three minutes and I have since been blocked from the Fine Gael page.
    not surprising giving what I've heard over the last 24 hrs. An absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Well the majority will vote Fine Gael into government.

You think FG will get >50% of FP votes? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Da_Viper wrote: »
    Most of us are probably aware of the story where Fine Gael's website was hacked by 4chan due to the fact that they were severely altering or removing comments.

It now appears the same is going on with their official facebook page

Organisation in doing what they like with their own Facebook page shocker. I'm going straight into mine to delete stuff now that I know it's okay. Seriously their Facebook page isn't a blog with comments, so if they think an exchange is cluttering up the place they can delete it if they like.

If this is the best mud slinging people can do against FG they really are a shoe in to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

So the economy is in serious trouble. 150 billion hole in the public purse, huge budget deficit, 400 thousand plus on the live register, emigration worse than the eighties, our health service in disarray, sovereignty has being null and void and we are basically controlled by the germans and IMF and your worried about a few comments getting deleted on facebook:confused:

I'm more worried about not being seen as an equal in the eyes of the future government. I'm also concerned about the fact that in the future should I have children with my partner and die my child will be put into care rather then be allowed to live with a parent.

Yes the economy is a worry. I'm an unemployed graduate jobseeker, and very demoralised by constant rejection letters. I'm more demoralised by the idea that my government doesn't deem me fit for basic human rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

So much drama and over-reaction. I'll never understand why gay people want to get married if they have all the same rights under civil partnership. In fact, civil partnership seems like the better deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

gcgirl wrote: »
    But they are not any less a family? Are they committing fraud because the choose not to have kids or cannot have kids ? As far as I grasped marriage it's a life long commitment to one another I don't see it in a rule book to have kids and frankly there are a load of people happily having kids outside of wedlock!

Great. The only problem is none of the above actually has anything to do with what Creighton said. She didn't exclude any of the above. She didn't say other formats were not 'families', she didn't accuse people of fraud.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    You think FG will get >50% of FP votes? :D

You don't have to give someone a FP vote to vote them into Government

k_mac wrote: »
    So much drama and over-reaction. I'll never understand why gay people want to get married if they have all the same rights under civil partnership. In fact, civil partnership seems like the better deal.

well they should have the choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 oryan28

@ k Mac

I love it when people who obviosuly have no clue what they are talking about comment on what is right for gay people, and shouldn't we just be happy and shut up!

Just for your information, there are over 300 rights lacking in the CP bill compared to marriage. Including a complete lack of rights for children.

So how can you state in your post that the CP bill is a better solution?

Please check your facts before posting comments like that. It's extremely hurtfull to gay people who deal with homophobia on a daily basis.

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ali Babba wrote: »
    I love the way some people seem to think Fianna Gael are going to be our saviors and turn the whole system in this country around, give it a few weeks...

a few weeks?

you do know that's pretty much nothing time wise right?

you'd want to be seeing how things are going from 10 - 12 months...

@ Prinz

She did state however, that marriage is about precreation! I have plenty of friends who are married who do not want children. I have plenty of friends who can't have children due to infertility. I have plenty of friends who found their partner at a late stage in their life and are also unable to have children. Their relationships are based on love, respect and a desire to share the rest of their lives with eachother. If we are to listen to waht Lucinda said, shouldn't all these marriages be void! Since they won't be having any children?

Marriage for gay people isin't only about the fact they want to get married. The want the right to say NO. They want the same rights as their friends and family. They want to be seen as equal in society and in law. They pay the same taxes, contribute to society like everyone else. It's about equality. If society thinks and legislates for the in equality of gay people, bullying will continue. Did you know that research shows that about 20% of teenagers who commit suicide do so because they think they might be gay? How horrific is that? If being 'Gay' was seen as (and I hate this word) 'Normal' in society, we wouldn't have this awful satistic rate. We are seen as second class citizens, as we do not have equal rights. Untill the day comes when equal rights are given to the gay community, these events will continue to take place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

What I don't understand, as someone who is in favour of SSM, is that this has only become an issue in the week before the election. Why have we not been talking about this for the past year?

And I hope and trust it will not die down after the election, or it will just look like some sort of stunt to embarrass FG. The law will be changed if enough people put pressure on the government - the Catholic church does not run things around here anymore.

It's a constant struggle for the gay community and their straight friends and family. Every August there is a March for Marriage in Dublin. Last August over 4,000 people attended.

I do understand where you are coming from though. In fact most of my friends could not believe it when I told them that Gay people werent allowed to get married in this country.

Gay people do not want church weddings, they just want the same rights that hetrosexual couples receive when they get married, but again I want to state this is mainly about Equality.

I will give you an example - A friend of mine who is gay is in a committed, loving and stable relationship for the last 6 years. Unfortunately her partners parents did not take the news that she was gay very well, and have not spoken to her in the last four years! Disgusting, and you can only imagine how upsetting this is for her. They are now considering having children, as they can offer a stable and loving enviroment for a child and they feel ready to do so. The partner who's parents don't talk to her is the older out of the two so it makes more sense for her to try for the baby. If they do become pregnant and have a baby, say ten years down the line, something happens to my friend who gave birth, her parents can take that child away from her partner, even though she has being it's mother for the last ten years! Where are the rights for both parent and child in that situation. This is the situation currently, even with the introduction of the CP bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

oryan28 wrote: »
    I do understand where you are coming from though. In fact most of my friends could not believe it when I told them that Gay people werent allowed to get married in this country.
    Where are your friends from? I didn't know that there were so many countries where gay marriage is allowed! I thought we might get ahead of the curve on this one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

oryan28 wrote: »
    I do understand where you are coming from though. In fact most of my friends could not believe it when I told them that Gay people werent allowed to get married in this country..

There are only a handful of countries/U.S. states who recognise gay marriage on an equal footing. Far far more countries have adopted the route of a separate legal basis such as the civil partnership like we have.

Advertisement