Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite And Other Equipment For Watching Football

• 23-02-2011 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a massive football fan and I use a streaming website to watch the football at the weekends.

I'm just wondering what type of equipment I'd need if I was to set-up my own personal home satellite to watch these games. Obviously I'd need a satellite dish, receiver, etc but which types specifically would be best?

The main leagues that I'd watch (if possible) would be:

1) Premier League
    2) La Liga
    3) Bundesliga
    4) Serie A

Obviously I know it probably isn't possible to get all of the above. Also, it if was possible to have access to Sky Sports on the same satellite too that would be great but I presume that isn't possible? I know the streaming site I use shows games from Nova Sports, Sky Calcio etc IIRC.

My budget would be €400-€500 at a stretch, but would prefer to get something about half that price if possible. I wouldn't want to be paying a big monthly fee though, as I can just use the streaming website for €25 a year, but that's why I'm looking into everything now before making a decision.

Finally, what size dish are we talking here as I do live on an estate but I'd be able to stick the dish at the back of the house without any problems.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Paully D wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm a massive football fan and I use a streaming website to watch the football at the weekends.

I'm just wondering what type of equipment I'd need if I was to set-up my own personal home satellite to watch these games. Obviously I'd need a satellite dish, receiver, etc but which types specifically would be best?

The main leagues that I'd watch (if possible) would be:

1) Premier League
    2) La Liga
    3) Bundesliga
    4) Serie A

Obviously I know it probably isn't possible to get all of the above. Also, it if was possible to have access to Sky Sports on the same satellite too that would be great but I presume that isn't possible? I know the streaming site I use shows games from Nova Sports, Sky Calcio etc IIRC.

My budget would be €400-€500 at a stretch, but would prefer to get something about half that price if possible. I wouldn't want to be paying a big monthly fee though, as I can just use the streaming website for €25 a year, but that's why I'm looking into everything now before making a decision.

Finally, what size dish are we talking here as I do live on an estate but I'd be able to stick the dish at the back of the house without any problems.

Do you want the best picture you can get or all the matches you can possible get?

Why I ask is Tring will give you all the EPL games you get and along with another sub called Al Jazeera sport will give you La-liga, Serie A, Europa league, Champions league and Internationals

Now the down side is they arent the best pictures but I think it you look it like this that does it really matter about picture if you get majority of what want ?

For bundesliga there is a great Free channel on dubai sports on 26e, it gives you alot of the bundesliga and sometimes in HD

the main equipment you need is a dish 1.2m (imo) motor (to turn the dish), LNB and receiver to get these channels

here's a great little link to help you out

Notice some prices are less than they they are in the link

http://ondemand.ddns.me/Pay-TV.pdf

edit

heres another card that will give you a proper picture for the EPl, la liga and serie a
    http://satsklep.pl/index.php?s=produkt&id_prod=1250&id_kat=80&id_typu=0

You get a HD picture there, now the downside you wont get all the matches that would be in tring and Al Jazeera but maybe you dont want all the games but HD channels will do ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Headshot wrote: »
    Do you want the best picture you can get or all the matches you can possible get?

Why I ask is Tring will give you all the EPL games you get and along with another sub called Al Jazeera sport will give you La-liga, Serie A, Europa league, Champions league and Internationals

Now the down side is they arent the best pictures but I think it you look it like this that does it really matter about picture if you get majority of what want ?

For bundesliga there is a great Free channel on dubai sports on 26e, it gives you alot of the bundesliga and sometimes in HD

the main equipment you need is a dish 1.2m (imo) motor (to turn the dish), LNB and receiver to get these channels

Cheers mate.

As you say, the picture quality wouldn't really matter to me if I could get the majority of the leagues that I wanted to watch.

On further research, I think the size of the dish (baring in mind I live on an estate), coupled with the price of such a set-up means I'm probably better off just sticking with watching the games on the computer.

I'll keep thinking about it though and thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

I think you'll get away with a 90cm dish with 15.8e for Tring and 13e for Al Jazeera

you could have a 90cm dish with 2 lnbs and it would save you alot of money (no need of a motor)

You wouldnt beable to get dubai sports but you'll be getting alot of sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Where about are you situated Paully?

I'm in Kerry and ca't get a sniff with my 80cms on 15.8 at the min since the birds were damaged for Tring!!!...

Al jazeera is a great card for seria A, priemera liga, spl... But it doesn't show EPL :(

I'd save up mate! Couldn't watch streams myself! Wreck the head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

I wrote a guide a while back for newbies to foreign satellite. Here it is http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056097928

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pigeon1916

sob1467 wrote: »
    I wrote a guide a while back for newbies to foreign satellite. Here it is http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056097928

Very Good Post :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

I'm in Galway and tring breaks up if any kinda bad weather on my 88 cm

Advertisement