Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Composting Bags - seen in Sunday Times

Options
  • 23-02-2011 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi ,

The Sunday Times Home section a few weeks ago had an article about composting bags. You simply filled them with garden waste and then the bag decomposed with the contents. Does anybody know the name of the bag please.

Also I'm living in rental accomdation but love to have a composting heap - but am afraid of starting one and then what would happen to it if we moved. As the garden does n't get alot of sunlight I'm wondering if it's even worth starting one. It produces alot of leaf & grass waste which won't be the quickest to decompose.

Thanks,
    Rc,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Hi ,

The Sunday Times Home section a few weeks ago had an article about composting bags. You simply filled them with garden waste and then the bag decomposed with the contents. Does anybody know the name of the bag please.

Also I'm living in rental accomdation but love to have a composting heap - but am afraid of starting one and then what would happen to it if we moved. As the garden does n't get alot of sunlight I'm wondering if it's even worth starting one. It produces alot of leaf & grass waste which won't be the quickest to decompose.

Thanks,
    Rc,

A compost bag even one that eventually decomposes would end up a slimey smelly mess if filled with grass cuttings and left to its own devices.

You don't need sun for compost but you do need heat which is produced by the rotting/decomposing organic matter. So either pick a corner and build one or you could be better off getting a tumble bin which give fairly good results. compost also needs air and roughage which in a larger garden can be weeds (not perenial, dandelion, docs, etc. chuck them in the bin.) vegetable yops/peelings, ripped up newspaper and the like will also do.

Too much grass on its own gets sticky starved of oxygen and begins to smell so by adding the roughage in and giving it a good ole mix every week it will keep it airated and aid decomposition. In a static heap mix the layers as you put them in and use old carpet or the like to cover and keep in the heat.

so what if you leave it behind the next tennant will have some home made compost to use should they so wish. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It was a bag for leaves, nothing else. Jute or hessian not sure, but not of use for what you want.

Advertisement