Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

youtube linking

• 23-02-2011 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Mods,im not sure if im in the right place so move if needed.
    When i go to sign on to my youtube acc,it wants me to link to my google acc,i find it very annoying to be forced to link accounts and will only do it as a last resort,my question is,is their and way around this arm twisting,by the way i dont use google any more as they are full of ads and the search engine spits out loads of crap,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

minterno wrote: »
    Mods,im not sure if im in the right place so move if needed.
    When i go to sign on to my youtube acc,it wants me to link to my google acc,i find it very annoying to be forced to link accounts and will only do it as a last resort,my question is,is their and way around this arm twisting,by the way i dont use google any more as they are full of ads and the search engine spits out loads of crap,

I'd go a head and do it. It means you can use a single log in for all things Google. YouTube is a Google product! Once you set up a google account you don't have to go near Gmail. You can use it just for logging in and out of YouTube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Happened to me tonight. Youtube logged me out when i clicked on a video and won't let me sign in without a google account. Trouble is I don't have a google account..still unclear why someone would want a google account...or do they just mean gmail:confused:
    Either way I'm more than a bit pee'd off at this kinda coercion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

i suppose i will have to sign up and get it over with,thanks for the replys guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭the watchman

The same thing has just happened to me. I'm pissed off and bloody fuming.

I simply do not want these bloody things linked up. Why don't they at least give us at the bloody option then those who think it can benefit them can do it and those who don't want the link up can carry on without it.

Any one found away round this yet. there seems to be very little chat about this.

And did I see somewhere it might be linked with facebook or something,if so thats the end for me I have no facebook and never ever want one.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

not only fuming but blood confused now after reading thire so called help page.:mad:. I do have a gmail account and I bet whichever account I link my youtube account with I will get more unsolicited emails because of this.

can I do this link bloody thing to a completeley new account , one which I will never look at agin?.
    I'm also wondering if this is even possible now because when I try getting on youtube by the back door search engine it seems to recognise my youtube user name and stops me and starts asking quetsions again about linking......does this mean that from this moment forward I cannot use youtube ever again without doing this bloody link up??????:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

The same thing has just happened to me. I'm pissed off and bloody fuming.

Snap

:mad::mad::mad::mad:
    I just tried creating a new gmail account, guess what, all went well untill the end....I simply do not believe this:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

..They ask for a phone number and it appears they won't create an account without it. I am absolutelye seething mad mad mad,.:mad::mad::mad:.

I have never, never, never given out my number on the internet. never.
    I am smashng the keys here. This cant be happening. They say give a friend s no. ,this is so effing stupid. I have neve seen so much power.

what the hell are we going to do.

Does this really mean that I have to give a really (realy meaningfull contact for them so they virtually have a real identity) to be able to get this service now.

I really can't remnember when I was as annoyed as this.
    somebody should do something.
    are there any more in depth discusions on this any where.

I do not want to give my phone number to this organisation.:mad:

FF sake , come to think of it I don't think even Paypal have my number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Dude you truly need to step away from the computer and take a deep breath. And when you come back Use a made up phone number. I have a few gmail accounts and none of them contain my real info. Most info provided is random at best.

Edit: wow thats new my apologies dude gmail using phone numbers to verify. Good thing I have my accounts setup before that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Righttttttt

So you wont give them a phone number because you dont trust them but youll use them for all your private email communications.......

You need to get out more,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

methinks somebody doesn't want the videos they watch logged to their account :p

Cabaal wrote: »
    Righttttttt

So you wont give them a phone number because you dont trust them but youll use them for all your private email communications.......

You need to get out more,

They can send me as many emails as they want , I can just junk them if I want to.

My Land line and mobile are totally clean. the only communication from simlar large organisations I get is Vodaphone once in a blue moon asking me to top with €20 and '3' internet service provider used to ask me for upgrads which I have put a stop to.

There is no need for Google to have my personal numbers for security. They have the email fascility and people have those squigally security letters to get past. Google can ask many security questions as they like such as your pets name etc via email.
    Absolutely no reason on earth for them to have my Personal numbers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you dont want to give them your details then just create an account with them. Simple

Cabaal wrote: »
    If you dont want to give them your details then just create an account with them. Simple

Cabaal. I think I am right when I say that you cannot create a new account to enable you to access the Youtube site "without supplying a phone number which they will then send you a text on to validate you".

Try it yourself and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

This is where you can view and edit all of the information stored in your Google account -

https://www.google.com/dashboard/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Watchman why not just use a fake phone number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

They can send me as many emails as they want , I can just junk them if I want to.

My Land line and mobile are totally clean. the only communication from simlar large organisations I get is Vodaphone once in a blue moon asking me to top with €20 and '3' internet service provider used to ask me for upgrads which I have put a stop to.

There is no need for Google to have my personal numbers for security. They have the email fascility and people have those squigally security letters to get past. Google can ask many security questions as they like such as your pets name etc via email.
    Absolutely no reason on earth for them to have my Personal numbers.

What do you think Google will do with this information other than account verification. I am genuinely intrigued to see your response. They make their money primarily from advertising so have nothing to sell to you as you are not an advertiser. Are you scared they will sell your number on to other companies or is it that you have privacy issues with them having this personally identifiable data against your account?

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    What do you think Google will do with this information other than account verification. I am genuinely intrigued to see your response. They make their money primarily from advertising so have nothing to sell to you as you are not an advertiser. Are you scared they will sell your number on to other companies or is it that you have privacy issues with them having this personally identifiable data against your account?

They simply do not need your personal number for account verifcation to avoid spammers and the like as mention in previous posts. What do you think they need it for. Youtube appears to have been running very well up to now without it.

They simply do not need your personal number for account verifcation to avoid spammers and the like as mention in previous posts. What do you think they need it for. Youtube appears to have been running very well up to now without it.

Maybe they conducted some research and found that the old methods of account verification had caused people problems and confusion in the past and they are trying to improve their service. I don't really know or care. You are the one who is having a minor meltdown over it and I was wondering why that was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

In fairness, I think the OP does have a point here. And he's not the only one who feels this way - see some feedback here on Gmail's help forum.

• Advertisement

Priori wrote: »
    In fairness, I think the OP does have a point here. And he's not the only one who feels this way - see some feedback here on Gmail's help forum.

Interesting Priori and I notice that when you try to vote on those posts the Gmail/Google 'Invalid page notice' comes up. Makes you wonder doesn't it!

I also notice that one of those posts complained that now he couldn't get into his Gmail account without giving personal numbers. So having not used my Gmail account for some weeks I nervously went to log in. Relieved to say that all was well. Question is will they catch up with me there shortly, me thinks better collect all the email addresses quick sharp and put them somewhere safe:(

Priori wrote: »

Ok so this seems to be an issue for a small amount of people. Still no one has been able to explain why it is an issue? I am actually genuinely intrigued as to why people think it is a bad thing. What evil deeds are Google going to do with your phone number?

Also I would like to make the point that Google owe you nothing. They provide you with a service for which you do not pay and in to which they invest millions if not billions. The condition of this is that they can display you advertising messages based on the data they collect about you as you use their products. If they decide they want an extra piece of data as one of the conditions then that is up to them. No one is forcing you to use their offerings.

It seems it worse than I thought. Apparently you have to link with a 'Gmail account' now and not allowed to choose an alternative email account.
    The following are worth a look.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=5f522d5ddc400f2a&hl=en

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/need-google-account-to-sign-in-to-youtube/

Brilliant news this morning. I am back on Youtube. No explanation for it but can access it again from any route. I quickly checked my old Gmail account to see if there was any linkup without my permission and could not see any.
    I then accessed a video and tried the 'share' button and another request to linkup appeared. I simply closed the box and copied the link into a separate email browser no problem. I also continued to watch video with no problem. So what is happening, here are some thoughts.

1, Maybe they have reversed this policy alltogether (personally I doubt it).

2, Maybe they have just given me a taste of life without Youtube ( I admit it was not very pleasant) and will do it again shortly.
    or
    3, Maybe they shut you out and then if you make no attempt to to submit to the demands and stay away they restore your access but without certain features (such as that share button).

My opinion would be no 3 which would be the most sensible for them as they will not lose viewers such as myself who refuse to link and supply numbers and they would obviously retain those that simply linked etc.
    Great thinking, smart Google!

Lets hope it is number 3. Options are nice and friendly:). If it is 3, thank you Google we're friends again.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Good to hear things have worked out for you! :)

Advertisement