Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 SP1

• 23-02-2011 5:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

If I want to slipstream Win 7 SP1 into ISO installation files for both Win 7 32 and Win 7 64, are these two files all I need?

win7sp1filesrequired.jpg

There's a range of files on offer from the Windows download site (as you can see in Pic above) & I don't want anything other than what I really need.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

My SP1 was only 85MB

They just look like single updates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Was yours done through Microsoft Update or are you talking about a file you slipstreamed?

I'd imagine you are referring to the Update?

win7sp1viaupdates.jpg

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Yes I was talking about the update, but a service pack is just a bundled pack of updates you've most likely got

They are the 2 files, they're alos available from here:
    http://www.ngohq.com/news/19212-windows-7-service-pack-1-final.html

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    a service pack is just a bundled pack of updates you've most likely got[/url]

Understood Pog,

Updates though are specific to ones particular system are they not?

For slipstreaming purposes whereby the install disc might be used for many different machine configurations, does one not need the complete service pack?

-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

yes they look like the files you want.

The reason for the size difference is the windows update shows 73.6MB to 892MB.

Easiest way to slipstream is with nLite.

There are plenty of tutorials, I find if you need to use it alot its best to setup an unattended installation, again nlite does this very easily.

• Advertisement

Well I used those files to slipstream Windows 7 Ultimate 32 & 64bit successfully

While I'm familiar with nLite, I used THIS METHOD simply because I had not tried it before. Everything went smoothly & I have tested both discs successfully.

Happy out ;)

-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

hearny wrote: »
    Easiest way to slipstream is with nLite.

There are plenty of tutorials, I find if you need to use it alot its best to setup an unattended installation, again nlite does this very easily.

Don't think nlite works with Vista or 7 though (shame, as it's a fantastic app!)
    Going to give the method in the post above a go now myslef:)

You need vlite for Windows 7, and it only really supports vista but it does work on windows 7
    http://www.vlite.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Good call I used nlite a few times but I didnt realise it didnt work with 7 (I steer clear of Vista anyway).

tman wrote: »
    Going to give the method in the post above a go now myslef:)

Here's another little tip if you wanted a disc that can install any version of Windows 7. You can edit the ISO file before you burn it.
    Install Any Edition of Windows 7 From Any Windows 7 DVD or ISO

Do you have a license for Windows 7 Ultimate but only have the Windows 7 Home Premium install media? Do you want to try a different edition of Windows 7 for 30 days without having to buy it first? With a simple trick you can enable a hidden menu that allows you to install any edition of Windows 7 from any Windows 7 installation media. This works on all editions of Windows 7 including Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate. If you have a 32-bit Windows 7 install DVD you can install any 32-bit edition from it. The same is true for 64-bit installation media.

The secret is the ei.cfg file located in the Sources directory on the installation DVD. If this file exists, the setup program reads the file to identify what edition of Windows 7 to install. If the file is deleted a new menu appears that allows you to select any edition of Windows 7 to install.

The key is deleting the ei.cfg file from the install DVD. You have two choices:

Option 1:

Copy the entire contents of a Windows 7 install DVD to a folder on your computer such as D:\win7install\. Then navigate to the Sources folder and delete ei.cfg. Finally, copy all files and folders in D:\win7install\ to a 4GB USB flash drive formatted with FAT32. Then just boot to the USB flash drive instead of the original install DVD.

Option 2:

The second option is more time consuming and requires third-party tools. Use a program like IsoBuster or other ISO editing tool to create and ISO image of your physical install DVD. Then, use the same program to edit the ISO and delete ei.cfg from the Sources folder and save your changes. Finally, burn the modified ISO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement