Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pruning laurel

Options
  • 23-02-2011 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭

planted bare root laurel last march. they have done well although lot of them loosing leaves now due to the harsh winter.
    anyway when should i prune them back and how should this be done to encourage thickening but also a little more height?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

km79 wrote: »
    planted bare root laurel last march. they have done well although lot of them loosing leaves now due to the harsh winter.
    anyway when should i prune them back and how should this be done to encourage thickening but also a little more height?

I saw some laurel with leaf drop and the ground was water logged. What's your ground like (prob like the rest of us under water but in general) this may be more the prob than the cold.

Don't bother with them till they start to grow around end April/May (as they are newly planted they wont be an attractive home to nesting birds so you're safe there).

These plants grow like mad when they get there feet under the table so don't worry about height. Be more concerned about keeping the bush changing direction, i.e. regular trim when it's growing well to maintain shape and before you know it you'll have sore arms from reaching up.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

thanks for the reply.
    the garden they are growing in is pretty dry. the leave drop is def due to the frost.
    when should i feed them.....is now too early

Advertisement