Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMC Dundalk to show "classic" films?

Options
  • 23-02-2011 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭

Was looking at the IMC Dundalk cinema site and they have Braveheart, In the Name of the Father and The Shawshank Redemption listed as films that are coming soon.

Anyone know anything about this?

They are showing good Oscar nominated films at the minute, so this might actually happen.

Hopefully, wouldn't mind seeing In the Name of the Father on the big screen.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I'd love it if they brought some of the movies that 'need a big screen' through again - the big visuals and sci-fi/fantasy ones that benefit from some added oomph the cinema provides.

Having said that, I've fallen out of love with the cinema (and that one in particular) because of the amount of bellends that skull a few cans on the way in and think it's funny to commentate.

I think they'd do much better if they just dedicated one screen to world cinema/art-house/indie limited-release type stuff. I think there'd be a good base of people in or around Dundalk that would want to see that kind of stuff where the only other option is Dublin. I had to go to Dublin to see Winter's Bone ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Checked it again today.

Currently only In the Name of the Father is listed as coming soon, both Braveheart and Shawshank Redemption have gone the way of the dodo.

No doubt to make room for more weeks of the Justin Bieber & Big Momma's House films.

I think they'd do much better if they just dedicated one screen to world cinema/art-house/indie limited-release type stuff. I think there'd be a good base of people in or around Dundalk that would want to see that kind of stuff where the only other option is Dublin. I had to go to Dublin to see Winter's Bone ffs.

There is a large eastern European and Asian population in the town, they really should be showing something other than the usual.
    Can't remember them ever showing a film that wasn't in the English language.
    It's a shame really, as there would most likely be a demographic for that sort of film.
    Surely they could try that sort of thing on a trial basis and go from there.

There was one foreign language film I remember seeing and it was Day Watch of all things.

That's the only one I can ever remember being in that place.

There was one foreign language film I remember seeing and it was Day Watch of all things.

That's the only one I can ever remember being in that place.

Daywatch, surely a classic. :rolleyes:

Of course there is probably a very small amount of good films out there that aren't in the English language....

• Advertisement

But even the limited-release english-language ones would have a home I reckon. Winter's Bone is up for oscars and wasn't available to see outside of the capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

They also had the diving bell and the butterfly a few years ago. Its a pity that the film club in Dundalk is gone as they had some quality films. Would have loved to have seen winters bone in town too...

Advertisement