Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morning traffic from the tunnel

• 23-02-2011 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I need to be in Limerick city for next Wednesday for work. Just wondering what the traffic is like in the mornings and evenings at the moment? I'll be coming from Ennis direction. Would it take me long to get through the tunnel and park at Howleys Quay in the morning (for about 8.30) and get out of the city in the evening (about 5.30)? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

To be honest if you're going into the City Centre I would not use the tunnel, instead go in the Condell road (right at the Coonagh Roundabout)- would be far more ideal for Howleys Quay! You could use the tunnel and instead have to use the Dock Road for the City- the traffic there in the mornings is not ideal.

You will be fine leaving the city at that time using the route I mentioned, traffic at Shannon bridge roundabout might be significant enough. Perhaps go straight out the Ennis road instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

sammie2011 wrote: »
    Hi, I need to be in Limerick city for next Wednesday for work. Just wondering what the traffic is like in the mornings and evenings at the moment? I'll be coming from Ennis direction. Would it take me long to get through the tunnel and park at Howleys Quay in the morning (for about 8.30) and get out of the city in the evening (about 5.30)? Thanks.

Well if you are going to be parked in Howleys Quay, you would be as quick going out over Shannon Bridge if you are leaving at 17:30, rather than driving past Shannon Bridge and going down the Dock road at that time in order to get to the tunnel. I would reckon that if you got held up even for five minutes or so going down the Dock road that your time saving from using the tunnel would be wiped out.

Same with the morning. I would almost come in the Shannon bridge way if you are going to be at Howleys Quay before 8:30 in the morning.

When traffic is at it's heaviest the tunnel is a great time saver, but your morning run would probably see you in Limerick before the traffic is at it's heaviest, and your evening run would see you having to drive through peak traffic just to get to the tunnel.

Just my tuppence worth though, as I don't think you would gain much in terms of journey time given when you will be arriving and leaving coupled with location.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sammie2011

Thanks for the advice guys.

Advertisement