Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'ding on an Author

Options
  • 23-02-2011 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭

Just realised I am about to read my seventeenth James Lee Burke novel.

Any authors you've similarly gorged on?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan.

I've read most John Grisham and Jeffrey Archer novels (Not any of the newer ones)

Robert Harris.

Also have read most of Aldous Huxley's stuff.

I do like to mix it up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

bullpost wrote: »
    Just realised I am about to read my seventeenth James Lee Burke novel.

Any authors you've similarly gorged on?

Loads, but James Lee Burke stands out as one of the most enjoyable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Flash86

I'm in the middle of a Kurt Vonnegut binge right now. Just finished Sirens of Titan and I'm moving onto Mother Night now. After that I think there are only two or three I haven't read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

F. Scott Fitzgerald and John O'Hara for me. As both were prolific story story writers as well as novelists there's loads to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭grumula

Kazuo Ishiguro and Bret Easton Ellis,(i think i might be done with Ellis after reading glamorama, way too taxing! enjoyable though it was)
    I'm in the middle of my 3rd Dostoevsky at the moment, but i tend to leave two or three novels between going back to him, y'know, so I don't go barmy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Someone here recommended Barry Eisler. I read all his book in one go. Brilliant reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Yup; Murakami, McCarthy, Coupland, Irving, Hornby. If I like an author i'll read all of their books

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Yeah I think I have read pretty much every James Patterson novel, including the ones that are collaboartions with other writers.
    I like to mix up my reading alot, but occasionally I like something a bit on the lighter side and these are always great page turners.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I did this with Agatha Christie when I was eight.

THen I did it again with John Cheever when I was sixteen.

Haven't done it since, except maybe Phillipa Gregory a few years ago when I was pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Ian Rankin, Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, Christopher Brookmyre, Irvine Welsh, George MacDonald Fraser...there's been a few. Thankfully I haven't sickened myself on any of the above yet like I did with Stephen King about 15 years ago. I still can't read much of his stuff now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I regularly reread my Pratchett collection. I like knowing I always have something good to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Did this in my teens with John Grisham, Anne Rice and Tom Clancy. I read a lot of rubbish, interspersed with some good stuff, until I dropped the habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭H. Flashman

G M Fraiser, GRR Martin, R Hobb, J Archer, D Gemmell

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

I ready everything by Cornelia Funke, preferably in German since I speak that as a second mother tongue. :)
    And I guess I've read almost everything Tolkien ever wrote ...
    But apart from that no one until now.

I guess I've also ready everything Sarah Rees Brennan has published so far but then again it's only been two books and a few anthologies and short stories. But I'm definitely gonna read her next books as well. (and she's Irish! ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭BizzyLizzie

I've read LOADS of Karen Rose's books. They can be a bit...samey...at times, but I love them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

All of the Agatha Christie Collection including the plays....
    All of Terry Pratchett
    All of Karin Slaughter
    All of Stephen King
    All of Colin Dexter (Morse)
    All of R. D. Wingfield Frost collection
    All of Stephanie Meyer
    All of J.K Rowling's Harry Potter Series
    All of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Homes Collection
    All of Steig Larsson
    all Kathy Reichs
    ( Most of these I re-read on a regular basis)

And many many more.......

Most of James Patterson (got fed up with the co-authored ones)
    Most of M.C Beaton (Agatha Raisin and Hamish McBeth)
    Most of Karen Rose
    Most of Patricia Cornwall
    Most of Ruth Rendell ( or could be all...)
    Most of Jeffery Deaver (again could be all....)
    Most of P J Tracy
    Most of Jonathan Kellerman (Alex Delaware Series)

And many many more........

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Think i'll be o'ding on Matthew Pearl. Reading the Dante Club at the moment and i'm loving. I've already bought his next two novels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I read Robert Harris's books as soon as they are released. A great writer of historical thrillers.

I've started reading the Shardlake series by C.J Samson based upon a recommendation on the historical fiction thread. I'll be reading one after the other I feel; the first one is a fantastic page-turner.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Fragglefur

I had a Somerset Maugham addiction a few years ago and now have moved on to a JP Donleavy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Bearhunter wrote: »
    Ian Rankin, Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, Christopher Brookmyre, Irvine Welsh, George MacDonald Fraser...there's been a few. Thankfully I haven't sickened myself on any of the above yet like I did with Stephen King about 15 years ago. I still can't read much of his stuff now.

All of Terry Pratchett
    All of Neil Gaiman
    All of Douglas Adams
    All of Karin Slaughter
    Most of Stephen King (Didn't like the Dark Tower series at all!)
    All of Colin Dexter (Morse)
    All of J.K Rowling
    All of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Homes Collection
    All of Ian Rankin
    All of Lee Child
    All of Brad Meltzer
    All of Peter Robinson (Inspector Banks)
    All of Mark Billingham
    Most of Patricia Cornwall (loved the Scarpetta novels not so keen on the others)
    Most of Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ericsinjun

All of Terry Pratchett, Irvine Welch, Robert Harris, Conn Iggulden, Patricia Cornwell. There's more I'm sure that I've cleared out, but can't think now that I've started typing!!!!

P.G. Wodehouse

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭chenguin

I read nearly all Patricia Cornwalls books in one go a few years back.
    Nearly all Mary Higgins Clark,
    All Karin Slaughter,
    All Kathy Reichs.
    Currently on a John Connolly binge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

I'm really into Mary Roach at the moment, not that she has a ton of books to gorge on, but they're all very interesting reads and I have laughed out loud more than once with her stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭jmn89

It's funny how much my taste has changed over the years! I remember seeing "Oliver Twist" when I was around 16 and thinking that it was one of the worst things I'd ever seen. I despised every moment of a poor production but just found it to be bland, unremarkable and unrelatable.

I subsequently read "Oliver Twist" and equally hated the book only for my mum to buy me a copy of "Bleak House" two months agowhich I read and thoroughly enjoyed. Since then I read "The Old Curiosity Shop" which I also loved and am currently reading and genuinely laughing at the opening chapters of "David Copperfield".

In short - read Dickens... do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Have read every single book by Grisham, the 24 books on Richard Sharpe and most other Bernard Cornwell books

I buy audiobooks these days and have each one by Michael Lewis.
    Moneyball being the best

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

Over St. Patrick's weekend I read all the works of J.D. Salinger, but he doesn't have that many.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I OD'd on Philippa Gregory, I kept expecting another The Other Boelyn Girl but it never quite happened.

I've read all 10 in the Charlaine Harris Sookie Stackhouse series & I reckon she'll keep putting out more,,, and I will read them, I never get sick of her.

I OD on crime books very fast, have to intersperse them with other types of novels.

Advertisement