Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Bunsen today for the first time. Really struggling to criticise. It's a burger joint, and a might fine burger was had. Decent thick juicy patty, well cooked. Soft substantial bun. Fresh lettuce, onion and cheese. As burgers go it's mighty good. Seeet potato fries fine. €14 with a Coke. Would have been €12 with regular fries. Decent selection of beers too and friendly staff.

It's not a fancy place and doesn't pretend to be. It's a traditional no nonsense burger. If you want a dining experience with truffle mayo and fancy burger toppings it's not that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

It is a popular spot for sitting in, apparently. They have a number of dishes that are eat-in-only each day, but I've always wondered about the practicality because, as you say, there's literally a handful of stools in the corner.

Food is top notch though - it's worth grabbing a take-out and eating in the car even!!

yeah I saw that - why is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

sporina wrote: »
    yeah I saw that - why is this?

I think it's a food safety thing, they don't want people buying certain things for take out, travelling a moderate distance home and then reheating them.

Tried Umi on Academy Street last night, pretty bloody decent. The falafels and hummus were lovely, everything else was good (wasn't mad about the pickled vegetables but it's early days for them I suppose), and value for money was borderline ridiculously good. Got the sharing platter for two and a couple of sides between me and my sister, we're both greedy bitches and we were stuffed!

Really good variety on the menu compared to a lot of falafel/middle eastern places. Good service, nice space. Think I'll definitely be going back and working my way through the menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I think we should have a falafel date electro :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I think it's a food safety thing, they don't want people buying certain things for take out, travelling a moderate distance home and then reheating them.

Tried Umi on Academy Street last night, pretty bloody decent. The falafels and hummus were lovely, everything else was good (wasn't mad about the pickled vegetables but it's early days for them I suppose), and value for money was borderline ridiculously good. Got the sharing platter for two and a couple of sides between me and my sister, we're both greedy bitches and we were stuffed!

Really good variety on the menu compared to a lot of falafel/middle eastern places. Good service, nice space. Think I'll definitely be going back and working my way through the menu.

I've eaten in Umi at their Dame street restaurant in Dublin several times and have to agree with everything you've said, it's fantastic value, plenty of choice, healthy, meat free for those that want it (though the don't make a big deal of this). I'm looking forward to checking out their new place in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    I think we should have a falafel date electro :D

You're on!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

Definitely going to try Umi.

had a delicious lunch in Loving Salads today - and it was mobbed.. queues out the door too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭DamienDarts

pwurple wrote: »
    I saw someone I won't mention do the "don't you know who I am" routine at the door.

Name and shame the prick...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

sporina wrote: »
    had a delicious lunch in Loving Salads today - and it was mobbed.. queues out the door too..
    Is it pricey?

overmantle wrote: »
    Is it pricey?

not at all... check out the website :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

It looks amazing! Great flavours and variety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Speaking of salads, just heard this morning that the Dublin company "Chopped" is expanding its business and will be opening a place in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Just another positive review for Umi Falafel. Very tasty food for a a really good price. It's quick too. The sharing board for two previously mentioned above is quite good value for money. We had two between four hounds and we still had leftovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Just another positive review for Umi Falafel. Very tasty food for a a really good price. It's quick too. The sharing board for two previously mentioned above is quite good value for money. We had two between four hounds and we still had leftovers.

Got lunch there yesterday, was well impressed. Palestinian falafel for €5 - think it was about 4 falafel in the pitta. Tasted really fresh and tasty too.

Love the range of flavours you get in East - the Mexican in particular - but Umi is a great addition too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Umi Falafel:
    take away: we got:  the palestinian- unreal- hummus, tomato, cucumber pickles, fried aubergine, flat parsley and chilli & tahini sauce- in a pitta, loads of falafels in it 3 or 4. a bit on the hot (spicy) side for me, but im not great with heat.
    the lebanese- tomato, cucumber pickles, flat parsley and tahini sauce- this was amazing, i preferred this to the palestinian, soft wrap crunchy fresh salad, again loads of falafel. id defo get this again.
    spinach filo rolls- were only okay, but i guess thats just more it being just spinach and feta? (not sure of what cheese actually) filo was good, but it just doesnt really work.
    baba ghanoush- I would live on this! it was so good, cool and refreshing after the kick from the palestinian great with the pitta to dip in.
    giant couc cous and rosted veg, no visible veg in it other than a few flakes of red pepper solid topping of crumbled feta on top though. cous cous was bouncy and tasty and went really well with everything else.
    we got bread (pitta) and dips of tahini, garlic mayo and hummus and all were tasty. well priced as well as it worked out at around 30 quid.

i ordered take away and everything was still warm when i got home (douglas area)
    staff were super friendly and efficient and know their stuff, they were able to tell me all the allergens and other bits about the menu.
    would definitely recommend.

Bunsen:
    Hipster comes to Cork (again)
    unless you chose where to eat based on queuing and instagraming pictures, dont bother.

coq and bull is better.
    Burger was good- fresh bun, well cooked, crispy lettuce, onion etc. but its all just to meh for me.
    I echo others posters about paying a fiver for a (smallish) portion of sweet potato fries.for a burger, beer and sweet potato fries i paid the best part of 20 euro.

atmosphere isnt conducive to chatting with mates and chilling out.

also was called 'mate' by the person serving... super disconcerting for a 30 year old female when being addressed by a 17-18 year old male.... wont be going back. foods not worth it.
    would recommend like above if you instagram your food no matter what it looks like.

okay Zambrero.
    I got: a power bowl: two servings (scoops?) of chicken marinated in asobo, salad and three kinds of salsa: onion and coriander, corn salsa and tomato salsa. with a basil sauce. salad is fresh and not over soaked.
    two hard tacos with beef, cheese, sour cream and gauc.
    tacos were the best, crisp and cruncy and salty and then the beef and cheese were perfect.
    its a bit pricey for what your paying for but if you take into the CSR bit then i kinda dont mind.
    place is really clean and bright, staff could do with a bit more knowledge, i asked them about the beef (how it was cooked) and she didnt know. and they had just made a pork burrito for the guy in front of me and not changed equipment and gloves etc, it wasnt busy i was the last person in the queue, when i asked her to change gloves, that i dont eat pork she said she was giving me beef, causing me to tell her she has used the gloves to make the pork dish. got a nice scowl for that but what can ya do.
    would go back but only for the tacos! girl at the till was lovely.
    didnt get the chocolate fountain because i got a take away and its not really my thing.

Rachels:
    (god help me, dont want to start off another bangwagon)
    booked for 8pm with two girlfriends. arrived, table wasnt ready. (one of aforementioned GF's is preggers so waiting isnt really an option) was asked would we like a drink in the piano bar so we said yes, well preggo was NOT happy, high chairs and not able to drink, lolz. so the cocktails were lovely but you cant really go wrong with them can you. I do take issue to the GIANT prices on cocktails (although i know this isnt just Rachels) but it does add a soild 30 euro onto your night it you have two drinks.
    visually the place is beautiful. looks like nothingness from the outside.but once your in, it is stunning.
    the tables are a little squished imo. sound level is also pretty high, (low ceilings maybe?)
    staff are attentive but i did see/hear another table complaining that they had sat down before us and hadnt ordered by the time we got our first bits.
    we ordered:
    calamari and the meat platter for starters (there wasnt anything preggers could have except the soup and she wasnt interested in it)
    calamari was nice but a little soggy. what i will tell you is the chef is mad for the old wild garlic, it was on everything! also at 13 euro its a joke.
    the meat platter was prosciutto with goats cheese and a little salad, was visually appealing but lacked strong flavors and the portion was a bit mean.
    poor pregro had to go hungry as the waiter couldnt tell her what was nut free or suitable for her. ie: shellfish, cheese etc.
    mains:
    I had lamb and it was okay, was a bit over cooked for me (but the others at the table thought it was fine) more grey than pink i guess.
    Preggers has steak, was very well cooked, she was delighted good sides.
    next guest had pizza which the base was crisp and bubbly but a big mean on the toppings and wasnt hot more lukewarm by the time we were served.
    sides were: skinny chips, salad, veg and mash.  all yum and we were told to ask for more if we wanted it.
    dessert was only a chose of two so we all got chocolate tart. it was delish!
    main take away's:
    why have a sommelier in a small cork restaurant? seems a bit OTT to me and might explain the over pricing.
    staff linger and its a bit creepy. seems to be an issue with staffing either too many or not enough, and some definitely dont know what their doing. our dude was shaking filling up water glasses.
    if your going to have a small menu like you do, dont run out of stuff.
    are you seriously going to be the only restaurant in Cork that doesnt serve bread?
    my friends and i eat out alot, we sit down we chill out and we spend, one of our favourite parts if sitting down while looking at the menu dipping the bread into some nice oil or balsamic vinegar or just plain butter. when my preggers friend (we made her ask cos it would be less embarrassing for us) asked the waiter if we were getting bread, his mock horror that we would ask was very off putting 'oh we dont do that''.
    we also interacted with about 12 different staff members by the end of the night. none of whom were the lady herself (i didnt see her) i dont buy into the whole Rachel's means she needs to be there manning the passe every night but i did read in the press release that she would be there. I had read the reviews about the carvery and the stuff on facebook (note alot of the 5 star reviews with no comments are left by staff, not acceptable)
    not great value for money,
    if i wanted a fancy, expensive night out there are other places.
    hopefully it will improve, its promising and definitely has potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

@livedadream had the opposite experience of Bunsun.

Have eaten there twice since it opened. Really good.
    Good quality meat. No frills. Cooked perfectly. Bonus points for having the option to get a burger 'medium' (they don't do rare).

It's a classic burger done exceptionally well. Toppings are great. Shoestring fries are tasty. Chocolate milkshake is 10/10 too. ;)

My experience of Coq Bull is the food tends to be way over cooked. Similar with Son of a Bun - started out pretty good but now everything is dry and over done.

To me a good burger is good quality meat, straight forward toppings, cooked well. I'm really not into this sky-scraper, million toppings thing that seems to be popular in some places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Those walls of text are very hard to read.

gosh just saw "flame asian street food" on washington street - another one.. i think that they have one on Blarney st too

how can they all do business?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Plus one for Golden Elephant in Douglas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

great reviews livedadream. i can't see how anyone could prefer a coqbull burger over a bunsen burger but to each their own!

do you get the bunsen well done or medium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

great reviews livedadream. i can't see how anyone could prefer a coqbull burger over a bunsen burger but to each their own!

I had a bunsen there last weekend just epic there burgers are perfect and taste so nice. Same as there shoestring frys.

I got mine cooked medium well and it was really nice.

With clqbull I don't get why there busy as there burgers are not great at all and are very dry and overpriced for what they are. My girlfirend loves it I hate it and only go as she won't to but she loves bunsen so I hope that mean I don't have to go to coqbull for a while.

Thanks, medium, i cant stand well cooked meat (its the french in me :) )
    like i said the burger was good, no complaints there, it was a standard good burger but for me eating out is more than that, atmosphere, cost, service and for me coq and bull wins over bunsen overall.

I had a bunsen there last weekend just epic there burgers are perfect and taste so nice. Same as there shoestring frys.

I got mine cooked medium well and it was really nice.

With clqbull I don't get why there busy as there burgers are not great at all and are very dry and overpriced for what they are. My girlfirend loves it I hate it and only go as she won't to but she loves bunsen so I hope that mean I don't have to go to coqbull for a while.
    It seems that most places pull out the stops when they are new but some places, when they are around for a while, depending on staff etc, standards can slip. I'm wondering if that's the case here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Only been to Bunsen once, but I liked the burger. It's a squishy one, one I wish I could get after a night out on the lash. Everything else I felt was average but expensive, so not sure I'd go back for a sit down. Pop in to get a burger to go though, definitely.

Went to Coqbull yesterday and they've got a hot cross bun burger atm, 3 people in the group had it; 1 loved it, 1 liked it, 1 wasn't a fan. Also their milkshakes are pretty darn on point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Big thumbs up from me for golden elephant in douglas too. Love that place. Am slightly wondering do they reuse that pineapple for the pineapple rice?

Must try Umi falafel, the spicy one sounds great!

On the new rachel's review, just wondering, why can't "preggers" eat calamari or nuts? Fish and nuts are good for you when pregnant, where is she getting her advice... the 50's?

Wtf happened with the bread? When I was there, and on the website they made a song and dance about the bread being homemade and the BUTTER even being homemade that day. Is that gone now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's not just me that was thinking that preggers girl sounded like a right barrel of laughs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Went to Bunsen Thursday and CoqBull yesterday. Got a medium burger in each with chips.

There's no comparison, Bunsen wins hands down, much better bun, I find the CoqBull bun is too big, not a good meat to bun ratio.

Bunsen cheaper too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I went to Umi Falafel during the week. Was okay, wasn't blown away by it. I got the Palestinian falafel and my friend got a mixture of salads. We shared the halloumi sticks. I've had much better falafel elsewhere. My friend wasn't that gone on her salads. The halloumi sticks just reminded me of mozzarella sticks in Mc Donald's. :o

I do reckon though I was just not very hungry, so that's why I didn't enjoy it that much. Also, the whole menu looked amazing, so definitely going to go back and give it another go. The staff were lovely and prices were very reasonable.

Had lunch today in The Parlour. Always have a good experience there. They do lovely soup and sandwiches. I went for tapas there last summer and was very impressed. Must try the tapas again soon.

I was just think today Cork city really needs a good seafood restaurant. Quinlan's is nice but it's more kind of takeaway/casual style, not somewhere you would go for a special meal. The fish restaurant in the Electric is only okay in my opinion. It's a shame Oysters shut down. I heard great things about it and never tried it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Went to zambrero in dennehys cross for lunch on Friday and it was really tasty - got a chikito which is a smaller burrito (but absolutely plenty for lunch imo) and it was filled with chicken, guacamole, rice, sour cream, lettuce, tomato salsa, cheese and a garlic sauce - mmmm very good and I love the way the place is decorated. They have a separate counter then for teas, coffees, smoothies, pastries and their chocolate fountain so handy if you just wanted a takeaway coffee too and wouldn't have to queue in the line for the burritos.

Very handy for me cos it's quite close to my work so another option for the rare occasion I go out for lunch :-)

leahyl wrote: »
    Went to zambrero in dennehys cross for lunch on Friday and it was really tasty - got a chikito which is a smaller burrito (but absolutely plenty for lunch imo) and it was filled with chicken, guacamole, rice, sour cream, lettuce, tomato salsa, cheese and a garlic sauce - mmmm very good and I love the way the place is decorated. They have a separate counter then for teas, coffees, smoothies, pastries and their chocolate fountain so handy if you just wanted a takeaway coffee too and wouldn't have to queue in the line for the burritos.

Very handy for me cos it's quite close to my work so another option for the rare occasion I go out for lunch :-)

:eek:
    2 Burritos please.

Just checking on Bramley Lodge? Is it expensive for lunch? Have seen the menu but it has no prices. Any recommendations? Thanks .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Any thoughts on Holy Smoke? Did anyone try the Doughnut burger? Thinking of trying it this weekend. Heard mixed reviews about the place.

Rhinohippo wrote: »
    Just checking on Bramley Lodge? Is it expensive for lunch? Have seen the menu but it has no prices. Any recommendations? Thanks .

Been there recently. Can't remember the prices but nothing out of the ordinary. Food wasn't bad.
    Meursault wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Holy Smoke? Did anyone try the Doughnut burger? Thinking of trying it this weekend. Heard mixed reviews about the place.

Been there a few times. It divides opinion. It's a grand feed, nothing too special but at the end of the day it's a BBQ joint. Wouldn't put you off trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Meursault wrote: »

I prefer White Rabbit on MacCurtain Street, my OH prefers Holy Smoke. There's not much to separate them really.

The doughnut burger looks absolutely vile, though...

I prefer White Rabbit on MacCurtain Street, my OH prefers Holy Smoke. There's not much to separate them really.

The doughnut burger looks absolutely vile, though...

I love doughnuts and i love burgers. But both of them at the same time thats a no in my books yuck.

Speaking of doughnuts Oh My Donut is on 2 for 1 on Deliveroo this week i might have gotting this a few times so fair .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭bizz213

The Shack opened on Oliver Plunkett st. Owned by O'Keefes bakery i believe. Frozen Donuts thawed i believe also. Take that for what it is :) Ice Cream is HB in there and Coffee was Mahers. Looked busy but was Day 1. Some amount of Donut shops opening in City Centre now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

bizz213 wrote: »
    The Shack opened on Oliver Plunkett st. Owned by O'Keefes bakery i believe. Frozen Donuts thawed i believe also. Take that for what it is :) Ice Cream is HB in there and Coffee was Mahers. Looked busy but was Day 1. Some amount of Donut shops opening in City Centre now

Why does this always happen in the city? Burgers, burritos and doughnuts. One opens and then more follow in quick succession. I don't see the point?

Looks like Oyster is set to reopen this summer, which some people might be happy about. 🙂

http://www.irishexaminer.com/property/cafe-up-for-sale-in-corks-english-market-448191.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

nerwen wrote: »
    Looks like Oyster is set to reopen this summer, which some people might be happy about. 🙂

http://www.irishexaminer.com/property/cafe-up-for-sale-in-corks-english-market-448191.html

That's the old Oyster Tavern. Been closed for years.
    It's not Oysters restaurant that was in the Clarion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Blackrock Castle cafe has been done up, brighter colours, new tiles... and they added a function to their credit card payment system which, (as someone who submits expenses for work related eating) I bloody love. You can now add the tip to the credit card, with optional buttons for 5%, 10%, 15% and other amount.

Hallelujah! Make it easy to pay and claim it back and you're bumped up my list!

That's the old Oyster Tavern. Been closed for years.
    It's not Oysters restaurant that was in the Clarion

Well colour me :o!

Was it good back when?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Why does this always happen in the city? Burgers, burritos and doughnuts. One opens and then more follow in quick succession. I don't see the point?

My thoughts on this are that multiple people see a gap in the market and it's a case that some just happen to get there quicker - I'm sure a business can be put together quickly, but really it should take time, effort, planning. A business plan and application to a bank alone can take some time. So it's possible that's what causes a surge.

If you compare it to Ramen - many people were taken by it, but not many people had foreseen a real need for Asian street food in Cork - before others could react and even get a business plan together, Ramen simply extended and cornered off the market within a year or so.

I think if Huckleberrys had been given more time without competition emerging, they could have moved into the city centre and perhaps another location i.e. Douglas/Ballincollig in similar fashion.

D'Agger wrote: »
    My thoughts on this are that multiple people see a gap in the market and it's a case that some just happen to get there quicker - I'm sure a business can be put together quickly, but really it should take time, effort, planning. A business plan and application to a bank alone can take some time. So it's possible that's what causes a surge.

If you compare it to Ramen - many people were taken by it, but not many people had foreseen a real need for Asian street food in Cork - before others could react and even get a business plan together, Ramen simply extended and cornered off the market within a year or so.

I think if Huckleberrys had been given more time without competition emerging, they could have moved into the city centre and perhaps another location i.e. Douglas/Ballincollig in similar fashion.

And now there is way to many Asian St food places and ramen is no where as busy as it used to be a few years back.

They could if they won't to Huckleberrys but they need to make there donuts themselves not just put the things on top. Or fillings. To me getting a 3rd party to bake your only product is a bad business idea with food you should be make it there and then for people as you would never run out of stock and have to close early because of it. Donuts are easy to cook fresh so no idea why there not doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

And now there is way to many Asian St food places and ramen is no where as busy as it used to be a few years back.

They could if they won't to Huckleberrys but they need to make there donuts themselves not just put the things on top. Or fillings. To me getting a 3rd party to bake your only product is a bad business idea with food you should be make it there and then for people as you would never run out of stock and have to close early because of it. Donuts are easy to cook fresh so no idea why there not doing it.

I think you'll always plateau after an initial spike in business, but Douglas does a very good trade, as does Anglesa St. so it's likely the traffic is simply better spread now. Either way, Chilli Padi in the city didn't last on account of Ramens market share and that was what, within a year of opening - either way it's impressive

I've no idea what Huckleberrys are doing re: production - would have thought they'd be made in house simply for costing purposes though.

Been there recently. Can't remember the prices but nothing out of the ordinary. Food wasn't bad.

Thanks for this feedback on Bramley Lodge. Intend trying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

D'Agger wrote: »
    I think you'll always plateau after an initial spike in business, but Douglas does a very good trade, as does Anglesa St. so it's likely the traffic is simply better spread now. Either way, Chilli Padi in the city didn't last on account of Ramens market share and that was what, within a year of opening - either way it's impressive

I've no idea what Huckleberrys are doing re: production - would have thought they'd be made in house simply for costing purposes though.

As far as I'm aware they buy the doughnuts wholesale from supervalu and then add the fillings/toppings themselves.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement