Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Tried a takeaway from Bao Boi the other night. Thought I'd try the duck confit spice bag, which seemed a leetle bit steep at €7 for a relatively small dish though.

I'm not sure if this is normal, but it was 95% chips! I was expecting way more veg and meat! I sometimes get the Spanish fries in Paddy the Farmers, which are as advertised...chips - with some chillis, cheese, bits of spice and veg in there.

It was quite tasty though, and the girl in there is HUGELY enthusiastic and friendly :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I ate in Wow Burger last night, it's a new place in the old Wagamamas spot.

It's similar to Bunsen in that it's kind of in between fast food and a restaurant. The menu was very similar to Five Guys - two/three types of burger, a list of unlimited toppings, free refills on the drinks.

We got two bacon cheese burgers (with quite a few toppings), two chips and two drinks for €23.
    The chips had skin on and were a large portion for the price.
    The burger was the nicest I've had in ages!! The patty wasn't too thick, I hate when I struggle to fit it in my mouth. It was perfectly cooked and the bacon was delicious and crispy.

The place was practically empty but can really see it doing well. The only thing slightly off putting is the decor, it's diner so lots of bright oranges and yellows in there.

Still fab though and I'd highly recommend. I'd prefer it to Bunsen if I had to pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

I tried Bao Boi, the Pork bun was incredible, I'd actually come back to try the others.

The spice bag though was atrocious, someone must have had a serious headcold when they came up with that combination of flavours.
    I'm not a picky eater by any stretch of the imagination, but Christ that was rank in so many ways.

If there'd actually been 7 quid worth of food in there I'd have at least felt a little guilty tossing it in the bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Went to Wowburger last night, it was AMAZING! It's almost exactly like 5 Guys, the staff are great craic, especially when calling out the order numbers and good to see a lot of the Wagamama staff still working there too.

Hungover me is craving it again now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

star anise closing in the new year - i wonder why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sporina wrote: »

I think the market has just moved on.
    So many new restaurants around, some of the older ones are struggling.
    It's a shame, as I think it really was one of the better mid range restaurants in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

From their FB page

https://www.facebook.com/StarAniseCork/posts/10157031683722222

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Anyone who goes into the restaurant business is a brave soul. Climbing Everest without the gear, or swimming up the Amazon, would be easier. The profit margin is low ( wages, provision costs, electricity, rents, taxes etc., etc) and profit can literally be thrown into the bins every night. To do it well is to be applauded. Small, good establishments who do so are really bridging into the Arts.
    Unfortunately those places who make lots of money in that business are the fast food franchises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Personally I was never a fan of Star Anise. I went there a few times but always ended up thinking it was a more expensive version of Market Lane without as good food, and my main gripe: nowhere near Mediterranean in their menu choices.

I'm still sad it's gone as it was a cosy little place that others seemed to enjoy, but there might be more people feeling the same was as I do I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Anyone who goes into the restaurant business is a brave soul. Climbing Everest without the gear, or swimming up the Amazon, would be easier. The profit margin is low ( wages, provision costs, electricity, rents, taxes etc., etc) and profit can literally be thrown into the bins every night. To do it well is to be applauded. Small, good establishments who do so are really bridging into the Arts.
    Unfortunately those places who make lots of money in that business are the fast food franchises.

I grow up in the business all my dad's family are in it . It's one of the hardest to make money in and you are as only as good as your last meal.

There about 10 years ago my dad opened a posh fine dineing place busy every night won loads of AdWords and never made a profit he lost money on it. He was lucky to be able to sell the lease 18 months into it otherwise he would have went broke from it.

He went into the other end of market just before the crash in 08 and went for cheap but good food it was a extramly hard 1st 2 years now he does quite ok but only because he is in the business 24/7. He is the chef, waiter wash up you name it.

This is what has happened with so many food places they open up with no exp in the business and are not a Jack of all trades that you need to be. You are going to need to cook otherwise you will be grab by the balls of chefs with egos and they know you need then and they know you have to pay them.

I was going to open up my own place years ago but my dad stop me as he did not won't me to have that kind of life as if you won't your business to last and make money you need yo be there 7 days a week.

Sorry for the deslexa here if anyone has any questions about the business ask away I will try my best to help.

• Advertisement

Was asked for ID and got an inquisition from the bouncer on the door of Soho at 7:30pm last night while attempting to go for dinner in the restaurant upstairs.
    I’m 26, as is my boyfriend, and we were well dressed. I was explained we were just wanting food and wouldn’t be drinking but was told I still needed to show ID. While looking at the ID, he quizzed us on our birth dates and ages.
    His attitude was absolutely appalling, we were just trying to get some dinner.
    I’ve posted before about how horrendous their staff are and how it’s a shame cause I really enjoy the food, but I won’t be darkening their door again. I actually couldn’t believe the treatment we got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Was asked for ID and got an inquisition from the bouncer on the door of Soho at 7:30pm last night  while attempting to go for dinner in the restaurant upstairs.
    I’m 26, as is my boyfriend, and we were well dressed. I was explained we were just wanting food and wouldn’t be drinking but was told I still needed to show ID. While looking at the ID, he quizzed us on our birth dates and ages.
    I’ve posted before about how horrendous their staff are and how it’s a shame cause I really enjoy the food, but I won’t be darkening their door again. I actually couldn’t believe the treatment we got.
    I had a good friend apply for a job there, they got her to work an 8 hour night shift as a trial and told her thanks but no thanks at the end of the night. One line and she was sent out the door. They didn't even have the courtesy to give her some tips on where she fell short, never mind giving her a share of the tips or a nights wage. The whole experience was handled incredibly unprofessionally and insensitively from their end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Was asked for ID and got an inquisition from the bouncer on the door of Soho at 7:30pm last night while attempting to go for dinner in the restaurant upstairs.

GIVE FEEDBACK TO MANAGEMENT (if you haven't already) . venting about it here doesn't allow them the chance to improve.

dinneenp wrote: »
    GIVE FEEDBACK TO MANAGEMENT (if you haven't already) . venting about it here doesn't allow them the chance to improve.

I emailed yesterday morning. Still waiting on a reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Post on there Facebook page they get extramly fast then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Had lunch in Bunsen this week to check out the burgers.

Best burger I have had in the city, hands down. Crispy edge, nice size, fresh toppings. Chips were good too.

The prices are high for fast food, this is clearly the sector to make some dosh. 7 euro for a burger without cheese.

Two of us for lunch, two burgers, two chips and one milkshake was 30 quid.

pwurple wrote: »

Best burger I have had in the city, hands down. Crispy edge, nice size, fresh toppings. Chips were good too.

The prices are high for fast food, this is clearly the sector to make some dosh. 7 euro for a burger without cheese.

However, if you just want a burger on its own as a big snack/small meal, I think it is well worth it.
    There is a really great beefy flavour from the meat and it's the only place where I can get a burger that's not overcooked for me.

Wow Burger is a euro cheaper for a burger but just doesn't cut it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I emailed yesterday morning. Still waiting on a reply.

Tripadvisor is always best way to get their attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I admire the economy of the menu offerings. As to the price, I don't mind paying for a burger that good. It's not McDonalds though, they're not chucking stuff out anywhere near that rate. How long were you in there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I admire the economy of the menu offerings. As to the price, I don't mind paying for a burger that good. It's not McDonalds though, they're not chucking stuff out anywhere near that rate. How long were you in there?

Just under 30 mins total, food was v quick. I brought a bunch of kids to mcdonalds the day before (yes, mcdonalds, shoot me , pure laziness when outnumbered 6 to 1) and the wait was longer for food, 15 mins from order to pickup for eat in, time in there was 45-50mins.

Yeah, me too on the burger, quality is there, happy to pay for good quality.

I don’t begrudge anyone earning money, but serving a can with a straw ( no ice, no glass) and charging 4 times your cost is a bit blatant, you know what I mean?

Yeah, me too on the burger, quality is there, happy to pay for good quality.

I don’t begrudge anyone earning money, but serving a can with a straw ( no ice, no glass) and charging 4 times your cost is a bit blatant, you know what I mean?

That's cheeky, alright.
    Just have free tap water - that comes in a glass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We had lunch (well brunch) at Ali’s Kitchen today. I’d wanted to try their black pudding hash, but unfortunately they were out of black pudding, so it was a bacon hash instead. Others had the hot smoked salmon dish and a chorizo & chickpea stew. All dishes had two poached eggs and their Hollandaise sauce is good, although I would personally have liked a little more. Extra toast was bought over at no charge, so bonus marks for that.

Cappuccino was good, and the buns & cakes looked delicious. Place was buzzing also, which is great to see.

Hi,
    I'm looking for breakfast recommendation within walking distance of McCurtin St that'll be open tomorrow (NYE). Not a greasy spoon place.

Cheers,
    Pa

Lunch in Market lane: party of 6 inc. toddler... absolutely blown away by the service and the food was 10/10 - could not fault it.. those who had the soup adored it... mains were all devoured and more chips requested (skin on - delish).. mains had - fish pie, steak sandwich, fish and chips, halloumi salad (divine hmmmm can still taste the dressing - chili and orange).. and a soup and 1/2 sandwich (the full would be too big for one surely).. Then deserts - and brownie sundae and berry and pear crumble were had.. all devoured.. and one of the company is a former cook so knows her food. They were visiting us so was hoping that they would be happy and I am glad to say that they were... v much so. Had booked the Corn Store but changed my mind this morn - was lucky to get a table - place was v v busy!
    But hat's off to the waiter we had - I hope that he is well looked after in there because he was flawless.. customer service of the highest degree.. we wanted for nothing - timings were perfect, water refilled before empty, looked after the toddler soo well - high chair, markers and colouring book, baby bowl ( which all the adults tasted and enjoyed too lol)...

So yeah - well done Market Lane - A benchmark for restaurants in the city for sure! (and i am fussy)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Hi,
    I'm looking for breakfast recommendation within walking distance of McCurtin St that'll be open tomorrow (NYE). Not a greasy spoon place.

Cheers,
    Pa

Cafe spresso on McCurtin Street? I haven't been, so maybe other posters can chip in.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Cheers,
    Pa

There's also Tara's tea rooms, haven't been there either.

Hi,

Cheers,
    Pa

Gallaghers on McCurtain st - top notch

Tara's is a bit stiff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Lunch in Market lane: party of 6 inc. toddler... absolutely blown away by the service and the food was 10/10 - could not fault it.. those who had the soup adored it... mains were all devoured and more chips requested (skin on - delish).. mains had - fish pie, steak sandwich, fish and chips, halloumi salad (divine hmmmm can still taste the dressing - chili and orange).. and a soup and 1/2 sandwich (the full would be too big for one surely).. Then deserts - and brownie sundae and berry and pear crumble were had.. all devoured.. and one of the company is a former cook so knows her food. They were visiting us so was hoping that they would be happy and I am glad to say that they were... v much so. Had booked the Corn Store but changed my mind this morn - was lucky to get a table - place was v v busy!
    But hat's off to the waiter we had - I hope that he is well looked after in there because he was flawless.. customer service of the highest degree.. we wanted for nothing - timings were perfect, water refilled before empty, looked after the toddler soo well - high chair, markers and colouring book, baby bowl ( which all the adults tasted and enjoyed too lol)...

So yeah - well done Market Lane - A benchmark for restaurants in the city for sure! (and i am fussy)

Happy out to read this - I got a €100 voucher for there as a Christmas present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Hi,

Cheers,
    Pa

Perry street cafe is a 10 minute walk across Patrick's Bridge. Not sure if that's too far but they've a fairly nice selection and I think open at 10 on Sundays.

northgirl wrote: »
    Perry street cafe is a 10 minute walk across Patrick's Bridge. Not sure if that's too far but they've a fairly nice selection and I think open at 10 on Sundays.

not had b'fast in Perry St but it is with regret that I have to say that we had a v v poor experience there last week - 3 deserts - 2 were pretty much inedible - toblerone cheese cake - was soo bad.. thick and heavy - and a muffin - just tasted awful - like too much artificial lemon or something.. bakewell slice was ok - but nothing tasted homemade.. and €23 for those 3 and 4 coffee's..

not a lover of the place either - v noisy (though was not too busy) - just echo-y, interior is like a shed.. chairs uncomfortable.. don't like the self service aspect - not for me

maybe regular food is good - i dunno

• Advertisement

Gallaghers on McCurtain st - top notch

Tara's is a bit stiff

Cheers. U like the idea of somewhere loungy, tara's looks nice but stiff chairs alright.

If we can expand to anywhere (eg 20 min walk) is somewhere like Sohos better?
    Thanks, Pa

Everywhere in city centre is within a few minutes walk. If you're going to go as far as soho (less than 10 minutes surely), you might as well go to liberty grill on Washington Street, which is very popular for breakfast, if a little pricey.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Everywhere in city centre is within a few minutes walk. If you're going to go as far as soho (less than 10 minutes surely), you might as well go to liberty grill on Washington Street, which is very popular for breakfast, if a little pricey.

Agreed. Liberty Grill is usually not open on Sunday unfortunately but maybe there's an exception tomorrow.

northgirl wrote: »
    Agreed. Liberty Grill is usually not open on Sunday unfortunately but maybe there's an exception tomorrow.

Oops. Thanks for that. I just checked and they are CLOSED tomorrow.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Oops. Thanks for that. I just checked and they are CLOSED tomorrow.

You're bang on though. 20 minutes walk is most of town. I've heard decent enough things about SpitJack but can't give a personal recommendation.

Cafe Velo is open tomorrow morning at 9. That might be quite nice.

Cheers. U like the idea of somewhere loungy, tara's looks nice but stiff chairs alright.

If we can expand to anywhere (eg 20 min walk) is somewhere like Sohos better?
    Thanks, Pa

well if your willing to walk then how about The Parlour Cafe on the coal quay? No fry up's but lots of egg dishes.. its my go to for brunch... adore it... small but food is top notch... hmm.. egg's royale.. and its very romantic - even at midday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

What a ridiculous post....:P

A full soup and sandwich is not at all too much for one! :P In fairness Market Lane is extremely consistent, and they price themselves right. The food is excellent and the staff too.

I've only been to Gallagher's once. I should probably give it another go but what happened was kinda annoying.
    Menu offered a choice of white, brown or soda bread for their sandwiches. I asked for brown. What came out was brown soda bread. When I queried it, I was bluntly told that I had asked for brown bread and that is what I got.
    Wtf is the soda bread, so? I doubt that they had white soda and if they did, why not specify that the brown was also soda bread?

What a ridiculous post....:P

A full soup and sandwich is not at all too much for one! :P In fairness Market Lane is extremely consistent, and they price themselves right. The food is excellent and the staff too.

what is ridiculous about the post? I don't know about you but its rare I have experienced such all round great quality food and top notch customer service in a restaurant..

and yes if you saw the size of the half sandwich you would see how it would be enough with a full soup - and it was enough for the male in our company who had it (lunch)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Market Lane is consistently great. Only had a bad "meal" there once. Was about 5 years ago and wasn't very hungry so got a starter which I didn't really like.

Been numerous times since and always blown away. The staff are really well trained there. A girl I know used to work there and I remember when she started she had to study for an exam which involved learning off diagrams of cows to point out where the meat came from, different wine regions etc... They should do this in all restaurants.

It's my birthday next week and was thinking of going to Cafe Paradiso but the last time I went it was only okay. So will be going to Market Lane I'd say!

Hi,
    Looking for pizza recommendation please? Love Milanos pizza biut want to try somewhere else.
    Cheers,
    Pa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I remember reading an article a few months with the owners of Market Lane etc and I was really impressed with how much they looked after their staff. It clearly shows

EDiT: Found it

https://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/food-news/service-with-a-smile-36014955.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Hi,
    Looking for pizza recommendation please? Love Milanos pizza biut want to try somewhere else.
    Cheers,
    Pa

Palmento is my favourite. It's in Douglas.

Edit: sorry, my baby brain fog is terrible at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Hi,
    Cheers,
    Pa

My favourite is the pizza in the Fran well pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

what is ridiculous about the post? I don't know about you but its rare I have experienced such all round great quality food and top notch customer service in a restaurant..

and yes if you saw the size of the half sandwich you would see how it would be enough with a full soup - and it was enough for the male in our company who had it (lunch)

You completely missed the tongue in cheekness of my post! I wasnt being serious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Palmento is my favourite. It's on Douglas Street.

No, Palmento is in Douglas! You are possibly thinking of Novacento?
    Lia_lia wrote: »
    My favourite is the pizza in the Fran well pub.

Mine too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Hi,
    Cheers,
    Pa
    Nove Cento(McCurtain st,Douglas st).
    Palmento (Douglas)
    Sober lane (Sullivans Quay).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Are there many restaurants open tomorrow in town?

• Advertisement

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Market Lane is consistently great. Only had a bad "meal" there once. Was about 5 years ago and wasn't very hungry so got a starter which I didn't really like.

Been numerous times since and always blown away. The staff are really well trained there. A girl I know used to work there and I remember when she started she had to study for an exam which involved learning off diagrams of cows to point out where the meat came from, different wine regions etc... They should do this in all restaurants.

It's my birthday next week and was thinking of going to Cafe Paradiso but the last time I went it was only okay. So will be going to Market Lane I'd say!

or if you like middle eastern/lebanese style food why not try ORSO - same owners as Market Lane - but the food is a little bit more adventurous - delish - though no booking and its tiny so say you plan to go on a fri/sat night and eat at 8 - go at say 7.15 - put your name on a waiting list - go to maynes and have a drink and they will call you when your table is ready - usually they have a 30/45 min wait

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement