Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Dbu wrote: »
    Went to 12 tables in Douglas last weekend
    Our 3rd or 4th time there. Food is good but they really need to get the service up to scratch.
    15 mins waiting for a jug of water, waiting an age on 2 glasses of wine as well.
    Had to ask for the bill 3 times.
    Had a shared starter and 2 burgers and we were there almost 2 hours.
    As I said the food is tasty though

Similar experience, I love the food there (don't know how many times I've had the Mick O' burger) but service has always been slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

who_me wrote: »
    Similar experience, I love the food there (don't know how many times I've had the Mick O' burger) but service has always been slow.

I haven’t been but it’s not uncommon for new places to take their time to keep the place looking busy for long periods, with Douglas having lots of competition it wouldn’t take long for word to go out it’s allways busy and therefore must be nice..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

who_me wrote: »

Yeah I've posted about the same poor service here before, but dammit, the food is good! I just make sure I'm not on a tight timeline to get away again if I'm dining there. I've only been at lunch, mind you, so don't know what dinner service is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Checked out Piri Piri in Blackpool for lunch the other day. It's Nandos with a different name on it, down to the same sauces on the chicken. Was fine though, got a chicken wrap, fries and a refillable coke for 15 euros. Lots of seats in there and service was really fast, which is nice when you're on lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Rendezvous bar and restaurant closed now for renovations.

The real reason is a failure to pay the taxman. Stubbs Gazette coming shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Looks like there's an Indian restaurant going in where Annies was on Sundays well.
    The restaurant sign outside the pub looks awful,really really tacky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Rendezvous bar and restaurant closed now for renovations.

The real reason is a failure to pay the taxman. Stubbs Gazette coming shortly.

Gone for good or just till they settle up?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Looks like there's an Indian restaurant going in where Annies was on Sundays well.
    The restaurant sign outside the pub looks awful,really really tacky.

We could really do with a good Indian restaurant in the city, signage aside. But they would want to be good in that area.

I find Thali on pope's Quay OK, my favourite has been Lal Quila in Douglas, but haven't been there for years.

Has anyone been to BBQ House on Shandon Street? Their menu looked quite authentic Turkish.

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Gone for good or just till they settle up?

I hope it's temporary. Decent watering spot in that neck of the woods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Has anyone been to BBQ House on Shandon Street? Their menu looked quite authentic Turkish.

I loved their grilled chicken thighs. (I can't think of anywhere else I can get a freshly cooked thigh or leg in Cork) but they took them off the menu.
    I haven't been back since.

It's mostly grilled meat, chips and salad. Simple but nice. There's a couple of more traditional dishes but I haven't tried them.

It seems they changed the menu to broaden the appeal. Some pasta dishes now, too. That put me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cant confirm the tax issues with the rendezvous but its gone into liquidation and I heard last week they were in trouble for awhile.

Its good location, someone will snap that up and re-open it.

30 staff laid off unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

We could really do with a good Indian restaurant in the city, signage aside. But they would want to be good in that area.

I find Thali on pope's Quay OK, my favourite has been Lal Quila in Douglas, but haven't been there for years.

Thali was originally Lal Quila's ill fated venture into Cork City. Haveli, also in Douglas, is regarded as the best in Cork now.

Haloumi salad from Good Day Deli

Recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

Recommended.

that looks fab - had a great Halloumi salad in Market Lane recently.. never heard of the Good Day Deli

• Advertisement

sporina wrote: »
    that looks fab - had a great Halloumi salad in Market Lane recently.. never heard of the Good Day Deli

Definitely worth a visit. It's in the garden of Nano Nagle centre.

Definitely worth a visit. It's in the garden of Nano Nagle centre.

in the garden? like outside?

in the garden? like outside?

Yes. The deli/cafe is in a glass building situated in an enclosed garden.

Yes. The deli/cafe is in a glass building situated in an enclosed garden.

ok but is it heated/warm?

ok but is it heated/warm?

Oh yes, you can sit inside. The walls are glass so you can see out onto the garden.

The food is mostly vegetarian, with one fish dish (cod). They do brunch as well.

It was very busy just after lunch, and most of the dishes had been used up. Very friendly staff though.

• Advertisement

Interior

oh wow not at all how i imagined - will have to check it out... never even been to nano nagle place

I had a fantastic meal in Iberian Way. The service was brilliant, the whole way through from booking communication, to menu and wine knowledge, to actual waiting service during the meal.

The food is just great. Simple but authentic and well-paced so the table wasnt jammed with platters at any time. Decent bottle of wine too and well-priced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

https://www.fsai.ie/uploadedFiles/Monitoring_and_Enforcement/Enforcement/Enforcement-Orders-Closure.pdf

Rose Garden in Douglas....it had been on justeat- and we ordered from there- it's not on justeat any more.......neither am I!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

https://www.fsai.ie/uploadedFiles/Monitoring_and_Enforcement/Enforcement/Enforcement-Orders-Closure.pdf

Rose Garden in Douglas....it had been on justeat- and we ordered from there- it's not on justeat any more.......neither am I!

Sound not be a reason for you to not use just eat.

There is plenty more places that would have a fantastic fsai record. In this day and age places should be careing more about this stuff!!!!

In the past year a Tesco and costa coffee have been closed down around the country !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

I was seriously disappointed to have read that. I was a frequent customer.
    I went to order last month when it was closed down and haven't order since because I was waiting for the report.

Unfortunately it makes for absolutely shocking reading. Some places get closed for very minor indiscretions, but this is pretty appalling reading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

Dined in Ferrit and Lee in Midleton over weekend - very nice ! Service Great and food lovely and v reasonably priced. Would well recommend .. pity its not nearer the city ; ) .

Midleton in fairness doing v well on the resturant front between Sage/Farmgate etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Jaaaaaaysus. That is most definitely not good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

it's not on justeat any more.......neither am I!

Why? What has one to do with the other? Unless you are never eating from a take away again in which case fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Went to The Pembrooke in the Imperial Hotel sat nite, service was good, staff attentive wine was nice but the food was poor. I had Alesbury duck which was tastless, the wife had the fish which was very nice but she was not impressed with her Salmon starter. Will be a while before we go back there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Got into Docklands at the weekend again, second time food was just as good.  I had hake baked in tomato and basil, with a crumbly something on top, nuts I think. Really good. My friend had the spicy lamb pizza. also v tasty.

The only thing is, at this time of year, it feels quite open to the river with the big windows and hard surfaces. Even though it's not cold, it was slightly bleak feeling with the scandi style furniture and white decor. In the summer that would be warmer I'd hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

roundymac wrote: »
    Went to The Pembrooke in the Imperial Hotel sat nite, service was good, staff attentive wine was nice but the food was poor. I had Alesbury duck which was tastless, the wife had the fish which was very nice but she was not impressed with her Salmon starter. Will be a while before we go back there.

Damn, think I might be going there this week as my aunt is down from Galway and is staying there so we said we'd join them for a meal in the restaurant.....hope I have a better experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

roundymac wrote: »

Personally never had a poor meal there, so maybe just a once off..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Dbu wrote: »
    Personally never had a poor meal there, so maybe just a once off..
    I always considered them average but was very dissapointed with last saturday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You could always tell her, you'll treat her, and book a table at Jacob's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Recommended.

Was in there for lunch today, nice food for sure. Busy spot though, we just happened to arrive as some other people were leaving otherwise would have been a bit of a wait.

438969.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Went to the Pembroke in the Imperial last night and it was delicious! I had the soup and the chicken and it was really lovely, waiter was very friendly - had a lovely evening :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Always good to hear positive news. A bad meal or experience cannot be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

How are the prices in the good day deli? Can't find anything online. No menu on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

How are the prices in the good day deli? Can't find anything online. No menu on their website.

That is from their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/GoodDayDeli/photos/a.1803862666542498.1073741828.1606415002953933/1982342832027813/?type=3&theater

Around €10 to €13 for mains. Sides extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just had lunch in Good Day Deli.
    I really enjoyed the warm winter salad I had. Really good food.
    Pretty noisy space, though.

Thinking of going to the Liberty Grill on Wednesday, never been before. Do I need to book a table?

Thinking of going to the Liberty Grill on Wednesday, never been before. Do I need to book a table?

Are you going in the evening? It's a small, popular place so if you are more than 2 people I'd give them a call and reserve, to be sure.

If you are going for lunch/brunch you should be fine as a walk-in. You might be waiting 10-15 minutes at peak times mid week.

Malari wrote: »
    Are you going in the evening? It's a small, popular place so if you are more than 2 people I'd give them a call and reserve, to be sure.

If you are going for lunch/brunch you should be fine as a walk-in. You might be waiting 10-15 minutes at peak times mid week.

Going for dinner. Around 7 or 8 ish. I'll book ahead so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Had a gorgeous meal in The Model Farm over the weekend. Very extensive menu and quite reasonable. I had a very tasty steak. Staff were very attentive and friendly too.

Any good vegan restaurant for lunch/dinner time? Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

gtcarlos wrote: »

Iyers would be the one I bring people to. Indian, he does great vegan food. If you like Dhosas, go there.

Cafe Paradiso is the classic fancy night outvegetarian place, Jacobs on the mall has a popular vegan menu too.

Quay co-op for lunch.

Rocket man and market lane do some vegan items on the menu.

Newest spot is Earth Cafe in the glass kiosk by Electric. Have not been there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Honorable shoutout to Umi for lunch

There's a new ish vegan place called 143 down near the train station. Supposed to be very good.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement