Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

leahyl wrote: »
    I know, I just said it was average :confused: it was just bland, boring especially the main course - I longed for Il Padrino/Liberty Grill/Electric while I was there!

Il Padrino's even worse! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Il Padrino's even worse! :eek:

I have never had a bad meal in Il Padrino and anyone I have spoken to says the same - it just goes to show, different strokes for different folks. If you're into fine dining it might not be up your street but it certainly has very tasty dishes

Il Padrino is definitely not worse than Luigis!! :-O

What are your favourite restaurants in Cork as a matter of interest? I want to try new places!

I have never had a bad meal in Il Padrino and anyone I have spoken to says the same - it just goes to show, different strokes for different folks. If you're into fine dining it might not be up your street but it certainly has very tasty dishes

Il Padrino is definitely not worse than Luigis!! :-O

What are your favourite restaurants in Cork as a matter of interest? I want to try new places!

Restaurant reviews are by nature subjective. What I might like, others might not and vice versa! :)

For the record, my now husband and I went to Il Padrino's before we got married. The food was cold and not nice-tasting, service rushed, and the ambience was awful. Never went back, nor would I if you paid me!

Luigi's we tried too. OK, but overpriced. Don't like Curran's for dinner much either!

The Indian by the Opera House? - Don't even GO there! My husband still has nightmares about the food, and worse about the bill!!

On the plus side:

I like Tung Sing (Himself doesn't!). We also like Greene's but haven't tried it since it changed over to bistro-style food. Scott's (now the Oliver Plunkett) isn't bad either.

Our favourite restaurant is the Market Lane. Food is consistently good, well-priced and the service is superb. The orange bread & butter pudding is to die for IMO ;). Himself loves the Jack McCarthy bangers. We always bring our friends from London in to eat and they love it too. High praise indeed from our fussy London crew.

EDIT: I'm not into fine dining per se. But I do know good food and service when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I also think Il Padrino has gone downhill over the years.
    I've been treated very badly there - told that there was a mistake with our booking and we'd have to come back in a half hour - even though there was a table there free but they were obviously holding it for someone more important than us.

Amazingly went back with friends sometime after that. WE were left waiting outside in the rain for our table and the food was just generally bland and not good.

I used to be good, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Restaurant reviews are by nature subjective. What I might like, others might not and vice versa! :)

and on that note ;)
    For the record, my now husband and I went to Il Padrino's before we got married. The food was cold and not nice-tasting, service rushed, and the ambience was awful. Never went back, nor would I if you paid me!

Luigi's we tried too. OK, but overpriced. Don't like Curran's for dinner much either!

The Indian by the Opera House? - Don't even GO there! My husband still has nightmares about the food, and worse about the bill!!

On the plus side:

I like Tung Sing (Himself doesn't!). We also like Greene's but haven't tried it since it changed over to bistro-style food. Scott's (now the Oliver Plunkett) isn't bad either.

Our favourite restaurant is the Market Lane. Food is consistently good, well-priced and the service is superb. The orange bread & butter pudding is to die for IMO ;). Himself loves the Jack McCarthy bangers. We always bring our friends from London in to eat and they love it too. High praise indeed from our fussy London crew.

Il Padrino - Never been there
    Luigi's - Never been there
    Indian by the Opera House - Hated it the first time, loved it the second (and third time). Now it is a place I recommend (especially as they sometimes have an offer online) although Bombay Palace on Cook St is still better.
    Tung Sing - Never been but heard great things about it, must try it
    Market Lane - Went there for a work Christmas party and hated it, service was crap, menu was limited (albeit it was Christmas time). I only ever hear good things about it though so I think I just had a bad experience. Never been back but I could be tempted :D

• Advertisement

On the plus side:

EDIT: I'm not into fine dining per se. But I do know good food and service when I see it.

Was it just once you were in Il Padrino? You must have been very unlucky then because from my experience the food has only ever been really really good. There must have a different chef on that night :pac:

I do agree about the service part, but to be honest I wouldn't let anybody rush me and if they tried to I would have no problem telling them I wasn't finished. I've always found them polite in there but have heard from others who weren't too impressed with the service.

I agree about the Eastern Tandoori - average, bombay palace is way better imo. I was at the Indian Palace for the first time 2 weeks ago - again just average, wouldn't be rushing back.

I've never been to Tung Sing or Greenes - must give them a try :)

I never really think of Scotts as somewhere to go for a meal to be honest.

The Market Lane is hit and miss imo - I've been there a good few times for both dinner and lunch and depending on what you have it can either be very good or just ok. It has a lovely ambiance though.

They also own the restaurant in the Blackrock Observatory and my mum had lunch there with a friend before and she said it was a disaster!

So you're right, restaurant reviews are indeed very subjective!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Pabmac

kingtut wrote: »
    That is based on your experience though, everyone is different it just seems that in this case most people who have been were satisfied.

I personally have not been but I might go at some stage, so far I am undecided :)

To be fair, Luigi's in on the lower end of the market. Best value for money I think is to go there for lunch. More value then. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

They also own the restaurant in the Blackrock Observatory and my mum had lunch there with a friend before and she said it was a disaster!

Blackrock castle I think hired a very good floor manager a while back. It used to be brutal in there for service at the start. It's much better now... people are responding goodo, judging by the difficulty getting a booking or a table for lunch or dinner in there. We brought houseguests there for brunch over the weekend, it was yummy.

Luigi's delivers pretty much what you expect for yet another burger/pasta chain outlet. It's not food I usually want when I go out, and I put €13.50 for a hamburger down as crazy money. But I can understand why people think it's ok. There's nothing wrong with it exactly... just not my thing.

@ kingtut. It's a real shame your experience at the Market Lane wasn't good. I have to say we've never had a bad meal in there, and sometimes we go for the lunch special (when the pennies run!). Haven't been for a while though. But we'll be back. I hope you try it again though.

I'd love to try the Observatory at Blackrock. I've heard good things about it.

I also forgot to mention another Chinese restaurant I'd like to recommend. It's the Golden Palace (I think!!) at the Fox & Hounds development in Ballyvolane. Never seems busy which is a shame, but I've found the food to be very good and reasonably priced. Their Aromatic Lamb is the business! :D

I also forgot to mention another Chinese restaurant I'd like to recommend. It's the Golden Palace (I think!!) at the Fox & Hounds development in Ballyvolane. Never seems busy which is a shame, but I've found the food to be very good and reasonably priced. Their Aromatic Lamb is the business! :D

That's very near me - must try sometime, I'm more of an indian food girl myself but I really need to try more chinese food :)

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    Blackrock castle I think hired a very good floor manager a while back. It used to be brutal in there for service at the start. It's much better now... people are responding goodo, judging by the difficulty getting a booking or a table for lunch or dinner in there. We brought houseguests there for brunch over the weekend, it was yummy.

It wasn't the service it was the food but having said that my friend was there for a wedding recently and she liked it :) Consistency seems to be a problem in a good few restaurants. I went to the Observatory recently for the culture night and I have to say the restaurant looked lovely so I would like to try it myself sometime!

That's very near me - must try sometime, I'm more of an indian food girl myself but I really need to try more chinese food :)
    If you want to try Chinese food, Yuan Ming Yuan is the only one to go to.

Had forgotten you had suggested that :o must def try that soon!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My issue with Il Padrino's is the price. Pasta with a bit of chicken costs €18 or more. How they can charge that, I'll never know! The raw ingredients for the dish can't cost more than a few euro.

I'll pay more for expensive ingredients, but pasta is about as cheap as it gets.

To put it in context, in Amicus you can get tagliatelle with chicken in a cream sauce with onions and mushrooms, plus a good portion of garlic bread, for €9.50 at lunchtime. In Il Padrinos, tagliatelle with chicken and saffron, in a white wine and cream sauce and pesto, with no garlic bread, costs €17.90.

I have not tried it but Panda Mama is AMAZING so I'd highly recommend it to anyone wanting an excellent Chinese meal. I've never been disappointed there :)

I'll give Yuan Ming Yuan a try some weekend soon though :)

Faith wrote: »
    My issue with Il Padrino's is the price. Pasta with a bit of chicken costs €18 or more. How they can charge that, I'll never know! The raw ingredients for the dish can't cost more than a few euro.

I'll pay more for expensive ingredients, but pasta is about as cheap as it gets.

To put it in context, in Amicus you can get tagliatelle with chicken in a cream sauce with onions and mushrooms, plus a good portion of garlic bread, for €9.50 at lunchtime. In Il Padrinos, tagliatelle with chicken and saffron, in a white wine and cream sauce and pesto, with no garlic bread, costs €17.90.

Garlic bread is served with all the pasta dishes in Il Padrino though. I think it's so tasty that I'm willing to pay the money once in a while. I got a pasta dish in Luigis last Saturday and it was so bland and boring and I paid nearly 15euro. The dish I normally get in Il Padrinos is 17.50 - well worth the 2.50 extra in my opinion.

I can't comment on the dish in Amicus but the few times I've been there in the past I wasn't bowled over by the place.

We could all argue for days about our favourite restaurants anyway and where's good and where isn't!:pac: We just all have different tastes :)

I have been thinking lately of having a monthly (or every second month) dinner event where we take turns picking a type of food and restaurant.

Do you think it would work? Any thoughts / opinions are welcome :)

kingtut wrote: »
    I have been thinking lately of having a monthly (or every second month) dinner event where we take turns picking a type of food and restaurant.

Do you think it would work? Any thoughts / opinions are welcome :)

I think it's a great idea! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I can't comment on the dish in Amicus but the few times I've been there in the past I wasn't bowled over by the place.

I've only ever thought 'meh' about the food any time I've eaten there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I really like Amicus, I tend to be in there quite a bit, weather it's for breakfast, lunch or dinner I find them to be consistently good with the food and service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

Has anyone been to Liberty Grill on western road? Is it posh? i.e. can I get away with jeans and heels or should I be wearing a dress?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It's very casual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Back to a bit of seafood - Where would ye say the best place is in Town or even a little Out. had a trip to Clare at the weekend and went to Morans on the Weir was thinking if there was someplace like that in town id love it. We have been to kinsale of course, where Jim Edwwards must have the nicest steamed oysters. Went the N Square steakhouse which was loverly but I dunno would I most defiantly go back there it seemed to be missing something...

Milly33 wrote: »
    Back to a bit of seafood - Where would ye say the best place is in Town or even a little Out. had a trip to Clare at the weekend and went to Morans on the Weir was thinking if there was someplace like that in town id love it. We have been to kinsale of course, where Jim Edwwards must have the nicest steamed oysters. Went the N Square steakhouse which was loverly but I dunno would I most defiantly go back there it seemed to be missing something...
    People are raving about Oysters in The Clarion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Has anyone been to Liberty Grill on western road? Is it posh? i.e. can I get away with jeans and heels or should I be wearing a dress?

Anything goes! I love this restaurant. I had the best steak ever there! I mostly go there for brunch but the evening menu is lovely too.

Ooooh! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Moran's!!!! :D

Their oysters are to die for. The fish 'n' chips ain't bad either. On my very first visit to Ireland, I was in Galway and visited Moran's. That's when I fell in love with the country and always promised to come back. Never thought I'd end up marrying an Irishman and living here.

Big shout out for Irish seafood. I always tell my friends at home, when it's done well, Irish seafood is the best!

I'm not really a fan of Moran's.
    The food is fine, it's the setting I have a problem with.
    I don't like it when really characterful pubs with a great reputation for food extend in a big way and then sell the whole place as if it were the original lovely pub. My memory of last being there was of sitting in a dim corner in a big, cold dining room having reasonably good very expensive seafood. Nothing like my childhood memories of people enjoying crab claws by the fire in a little pub.

Monk's in Ballyvaughan did the same thing - ruined a lovely pub and created a not very nice restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ooooh! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Moran's!!!! :D

Their oysters are to die for. The fish 'n' chips ain't bad either. On my very first visit to Ireland, I was in Galway and visited Moran's. That's when I fell in love with the country and always promised to come back. Never thought I'd end up marrying an Irishman and living here.

Big shout out for Irish seafood. I always tell my friends at home, when it's done well, Irish seafood is the best!

Never had the fish n chips now. Will put it on the list for next time. Monks alrite is a bit large thought they still kept a bit of character to the place though.

Oysters then I heard it in passing but have never been a fan of the Clarion or the restaurants there so dismissed it. Perhaps that will be the first port of call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I loved augustines before in the clarion. I was hoping they would open somewhere else but no joy yet. My first trip to oysters is going to be this evening. Yay! This will be my third attempt to get there, so it may suffer from my high expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I liked Augustine's too, but still haven't been to Oysters. Let us know how you got on pwurple.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement