Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

ncmc wrote: »
    That looks amazing! Can I ask how much it cost?

I think it was around €9 or thereabouts. It's usually served stacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

northgirl wrote: »
    I think it was around €9 or thereabouts. It's usually served stacked.

I’ll definitely be trying it next time I’m in Cork, the sides look amazing!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Looks fab GDD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I had really lovely fish tacos in gdd last week.
    While not cheap at €14, they were good value for the portion size and quality.
    Really great flavours going on.
    I really like the cooking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

My sister told me she went to Good Day Deli on Saturday and couldn't get in. There was a queue of 8 people waiting to get in. She joined the queue and then 6 more people joined the queue behind her. Madness. She left the queue as she was starved to bits.

I guess a weekday would be the best time to go there for brunch/lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Apparently there was a rumour that rachels was closing denied by paul m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

ofcork wrote: »
    Apparently there was a rumour that rachels was closing denied by paul m.

Wonder how it's doing at the moment.

Don't hear much about it anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

My sister told me she went to Good Day Deli on Saturday and couldn't get in. There was a queue of 8 people waiting to get in. She joined the queue and then 6 more people joined the queue behind her. Madness. She left the queue as she was starved to bits.

I guess a weekday would be the best time to go there for brunch/lunch.
    This place looks fab, where exactly is it & where is the nearest parking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

limnam wrote: »

I was there last weekend and the food and service were great. Was a fair amount of people in there, no tables standing empty for very long that I could see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

limnam wrote: »

Was in there a couple of weeks ago on a Thursday evening. Packed to the rafters.

No pizza on the menu these days, I think that fire must have put the pizza oven out of action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

what was Sago formerly called?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

sporina wrote: »
    what was Sago formerly called?

It was Chili Padi I think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Bobo - new pop-up artisan cafe at the Glucksman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

I had to call into JJ Dwyers last Friday and saw that their breakfast/lunchtime restaurant is open again. It turns out that the restaurant has been leased by Man Friday's Philip Horgan and run by his son Daniel. I had the veg soup and it was as good as you'd get in Man Friday, plus they have their excellent brown bread as well ! While I'd be too picky for a lot of their stuff, there were options. Some of the choices were Calamari burgers, Beef burgers, Smashed avocado on sourdough bread, man friday chowder and chorizo and sweet potato. One thing I noticed they didn't have on the breakfast menu was sausages, real or veggie, which i thought odd.

Good Day Deli for Brunch yesterday. Had the Pancakes with Honey & Mascarpone & Coconut. Really good. My friend's vegan option was fantastic too. Such a treat.

Good Day Deli for Brunch yesterday. Had the Pancakes with Honey & Mascarpone & Coconut. Really good. My friend's vegan option was fantastic too. Such a treat.

i am really keen to try that place.. do they have a menu on line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Cornstore this evening, this place never fails to deliver. Good food, good atmosphere, great service. Nothing spectacular, just right, we go in there regular (once a month) This eve we had bread starters, steak for two and peanut cheesecake + coffee + a few pints (wine for the lady!) €90 +€10 tip....3 hours in comfort with good staff, good food. I travel the world for work,on a good expense account, but the Cornstore just makes me feel back in "Cork", no shyte, "just find 'em, feed 'em, fck'em and forget 'em"...love the place, leave your attitude and pretensions outside, just enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Ichigo ichie taking reservations, yahoo!

Went to Greene's a few weeks back, had their degustation menu which is meant to be 9 courses, also had a wine "sips" pairing. Really enjoyed both the food and the experience. Ended up at €120 pp, but we also had additional wine. Would recommend and will go again myself, though obviously it's not something I'll do every week!

Uploaded pictures and descriptions of all the dishes here. Pardon the occasionally shoddy photography, was way more important to get into the food than get perfect pics. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Good food there. Must be my age, simply prefer a plate. You can 'lick the plate'.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to Da Mirco opening where Star Anise was soon. Should be a nice addition to the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Looking forward to Da Mirco opening where Star Anise was soon. Should be a nice addition to the mix.

Great! Cork could do with another proper Italian restaurant I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

nerwen wrote: »
    Uploaded pictures and descriptions of all the dishes here. Pardon the occasionally shoddy photography, was way more important to get into the food than get perfect pics. :D

"tasty butter on a rock in a box."

Seriously...WTF???

:eek:

Ludo wrote: »
    "tasty butter on a rock in a box."

Seriously...WTF???

:eek:

The rock was cold, keeping the butter cold for longer. The box though, who knows. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

That looks great I must say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I don't mind food being served on boards or slates if and when it's appropriate, my pet peeve is actually getting food in a soup bowl and everytime I put down my fork it slides into the gravy. But butter on a rock???? In a box?? As above WTF!

I was up at the International Hotel today for the sunday buffet and it took a few attempts to get a clean plate for each course I went for. Plus there was very little food put out, it was like cleaning up the kitchen after cooking a big family dinner. The scraps were tasty enough, but they were scraps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Got takeaway from the new Aagrah Indian place on Sundays Well where Annies Bar used to be. The menu seems to have a lot of different dishes to your usual run of the mill Indian. The Hyderabadi Lamb was beautiful (kind of like an Indian Inspired Stroganoff) and the Lamb Tikka Balti was also delicious. They have done the place up quite nicely and retained the full bar licence. They do a Sunday lunch Buffet too, didnt get the price when i was in but will definitely have to be tried!

bee06 wrote: »
    Great! Cork could do with another proper Italian restaurant I think.

yeah and if they do pizza i hope its the real deal - none of the italian restaurants in cork do decent pizza imo - only the most casual spots like novecento, fan well etc..

yeah and if they do pizza i hope its the real deal - none of the italian restaurants in cork do decent pizza imo - only the most casual spots like novecento, fan well etc..

They won't be serving pizza apparently.

• Advertisement

Jaysus that butter on a rock in a box is ridiculous. One of the worst I've seen.

You should submit it to the "we want plates" Facebook or Twitter. Although the pic might not be good enough. Do you have a close up of it?

What's the very last pic? Are they stones in the box?

Jaysis.

Jaysus that butter on a rock in a box is ridiculous. One of the worst I've seen.

You should submit it to the "we want plates" Facebook or Twitter. Although the pic might not be good enough. Do you have a close up of it?

What's the very last pic? Are they stones in the box?

Jaysis.

I honestly didn't think the butter was such a big deal, just mildly amusing. No closeup of it, nope.

The last pic is truffles, dark and white chocolate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Malari wrote: »

I've eaten in his place on Evergreen Street and it's fantastic, however I have huge reservations about Ichigo Ichie. This will be at the other end of the spectrum altogether from Miyazaki with prices to match. I'm not sure that Cork is ready for a restaurant where the only choice is a €95, 12 course tasting menu comprising of food that is alien to must palates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Seamai wrote: »
    I've eaten in his place on Evergreen Street and it's fantastic, however I have huge reservations about Ichigo Ichie. This will be at the other end of the spectrum altogether from Miyazaki with prices to match. I'm not sure that Cork is ready for a restaurant where the only choice is a €95, 12 course tasting menu comprising of food that is alien to must palates.

They are already well booked as far as I could see from the booking page. 95 is far steeper than I expected, still might be something for an annual treat. I think also businesses will be heavily invested there as it is something to brag about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I was in Greene’s too last week for a 7 course meal.

nerwen’s description was funny but I’m not getting the fuss over the butter? It’s not like it was one of the courses :-)
    Thought the presentation was nice. Just like everything else a bit fancy & pretentious.

I wasn’t blown away by what I had to be honest. Nice change from regular 3 course dinner though. I had a half price voucher, don’t think it’s worth full price.

Some of the courses on the 7 course were the same. The ones on the 9 course I didn’t have look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Ichigo ichie - is €95 tasting menu definitely the only option? Or is that the chef counter special?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Ichigo ichie - is €95 tasting menu definitely the only option? Or is that the chef counter special?

There are two options for 95 Euros. One with the chef, the other one in the dinning room.

Harika wrote: »
    They are already well booked as far as I could see from the booking page. 95 is far steeper than I expected, still might be something for an annual treat. I think also businesses will be heavily invested there as it is something to brag about.

It's almost completely booked out for several months. I don't know how long it will last, but even if it's a year he will have achieved something. It's definitely not something you'd be doing often, but there are plenty of people who are eager to try new things, and judging from the popularity of Miyazaki I'd say many who would make an annual trip to Ichigo Ichie if it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

Nice write up here regarding Ichigo Ichie - https://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/i-have-obsessed-about-opening-these-doors-for-years-new-irish-restaurant-with-95-nochoice-12course-menu-36750550.html

Really hope it does well - it could be Corks Michelin star restaurant !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Really wish them well, as I would all who take the risk and open an eatery, no matter what market they aim for. I wouldn't however pay anything like that. Thought there wouldn't be enough of a market for it, but fine with being proved wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've booked Ichigo Ichie for five people for June - chef's counter.
    Can't wait.
    No idea if I'd be willing to go back - time will tell.

• Advertisement

such a pity one cannot have a main course - i have never tried miyzaki cos of lack of seating and there are certain dishes you cannot take out so was delighted when i heard that he was opening a restaurant; thought, at last, I can try one of his mains in a comfortable setting.. but as I don't know if i would even like Japanese food, no way am i going to pay €95 for the experience...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

I've booked Ichigo Ichie for five people for June - chef's counter.
    Can't wait.
    No idea if I'd be willing to go back - time will tell.

Same, can’t wait! Hope it goes great for him :)

such a pity one cannot have a main course - i have never tried miyzaki cos of lack of seating and there are certain dishes you cannot take out so was delighted when i heard that he was opening a restaurant; thought, at last, I can try one of his mains in a comfortable setting.. but as I don't know if i would even like Japanese food, no way am i going to pay €95 for the experience...

That's true, but plenty of the dishes are available to take out. I've never eaten in there.

Will look forward to seeing the reviews here of that.

Was in orso Thursday evening. Already have been raving about it here before but hadn’t been back since
    Have a gorge main of some sort of beef pie
    The chocolate platter is perfect for sharing then
    I just love it in there, the staff and service is excellent. Definatly one of my faves in cork

That's true, but plenty of the dishes are available to take out. I've never eaten in there.

not sure if take out would do it justice - would prefer to eat in a restaurant setting - esp for a 1st time japanese experience.. its a real pity one cannot have a main in the new place.. anyway
    Will look forward to seeing the reviews here of that.

Was in orso Thursday evening. Already have been raving about it here before but hadn’t been back since
    Have a gorge main of some sort of beef pie
    The chocolate platter is perfect for sharing then
    I just love it in there, the staff and service is excellent. Definatly one of my faves in cork

yeah ORSO is my fav these days

Getting some of the dishes to go in Miyazaki would definitely ruin them. I'm thinking of the Lemon Ramen in particular. The noodles are cooked absolutely perfectly, and if they're thrown into a container for another 20 minutes on the back of a Deliveroo they'd probably turn to mush and have the texture of Koka noodles.

It's also a very wet and watery dish, and the presentation is a big part of it. Very well presented.

Basically I can't see how it would survive bring transported out of the place.

YGhTp9B.jpg

I must say though it's a rip off. €15 for that. But tastes amazing. Great hangover cure too.

Getting some of the dishes to go in Miyazaki would definitely ruin them. I'm thinking of the Lemon Ramen in particular. The noodles are cooked absolutely perfectly, and if they're thrown into a container for another 20 minutes on the back of a Deliveroo they'd probably turn to mush and have the texture of Koka noodles.

It's also a very wet and watery dish, and the presentation is a big part of it. Very well presented.

Basically I can't see how it would survive bring transported out of the place.

YGhTp9B.jpg

I must say though it's a rip off. €15 for that. But tastes amazing. Great hangover cure too.

yep those are the exact reasons why I would not risk take out - would not be giving its a fair go i'd say.. and especially in light of the fact that I am not sure whether or not I would like it - i don't think that kind of cuisine is my flavour profile but still would like to try it someday based on all the reviews, press etc.. era maybe he will do a more reasonable menu in the restaurant in time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah it would be nice if they do mains. I don't eat meat (I do eat fish though) so I don't think the 95 euro menu would do for me.

era maybe he will do a more reasonable menu in the restaurant in time..

He'll probably have to do that once Cork diners blow their load during the first couple of months and bookings slow down.

I'll be happy to eat my words though. If this €95 dinner thing lasts a year or more fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Booked Ichigo Ichie for June and went on waitlist for April. Got offered table for April yesterday so obviously lots of cancellations. Can’t wait to try. €90 is standard enough for top class tasting menus. wouldn’t have an issue with it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement